What cab to use with a Peavey Nitrobass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rhymeface, Dec 6, 2012.

1. rhymeface

rhymeface

Hi all,

I've purchased a Peavey Nitrobass head for a decent price. I'm wondering what cab to use with it.

Can people offer up suggestions - specific brands and models would be good.

I'm kind of doing this on a shoestring to begin with (hence the Nitrobass) so lower end options are preferable.

Just want to get this right as I've witnessed speakers been blown up because someone hadn't matched the head and cab up.

The Nitrobass will be OK for small venues with DI'd bass rig right? Not planning on any stadium tours just yet ;)

Thanks in advance for all advice and please be gentle - this is my first foray into a live set-up.

Rob

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is available to you locally used? If you are on a tight budget hitting up your local CL could be the best bet.

3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Lower end? Peavey 410TX, 410TXF or 410TVX. Dirt cheap, sound good, built like a tank. The Nitrobass is fine for your use. More than enough power.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Use either two 8 ohm cabs or one VERY efficient 4 ohm cab. Or...two 4 ohm cabs. I've owned that head and it doesn't put out much, so you'll either need more speakers, or more efficient speakers.

Try to find a used 215 or a 410. If going with a single cab find a 4 ohm one. The head will go down to 2 ohms if you need to add another 4 ohm cab later.

It puts out 170 watts into 8 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms and 450 watts into 2 ohms.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rhymeface

rhymeface

Thanks a lot for the advice, all.

I've done a bit more reading.

Think I understand the principle now - if I got 2 4ohm cabs, they'd get 225W each, right? But one four ohm cab would get 300W?

Any as I understand it, getting a cab that's rated at say 800w isn't a big deal, just don't crank the amp so it's clipping and farting (I think this is what I saw when some friends pushed a PA a bit too hard to get the vocals over the top of the instruments).

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

You have the numbers right, but (gross generalization) cabs with higher wattage ratings tend to be less efficient, they trade a lower spl rating to handle more power.

If you see a used Avatar 4Ω 2x12 around it would be a good choice, particularly one with the Eminence deltalite II neos in it.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My trace 250w kills with 2 8ohm cabs. If those Peavey 300w are honest you'll be all over bar gigs with a pair of 2x10 or 15's.

9. JibbaJabbaJaw

JibbaJabbaJaw

I bought the same head new about 10 years ago when I got an Ampeg BSE410 (8 ohms) for free. 170 watts worked for a while, then I ended up getting an Ampeg BSE410HLF (4 ohms) to get the 300 watts which is adequate in most situations. I've even had good results playing through cabs, it may not be ideal but it works. The only thing I would suggest is getting a separate EQ, I use the Boss GEB-7.

10. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

I'm also a former owner. Big +1 to all this.

You'll find yourself lacking at 8 ohms. I had am Omni (regarded as very efficient with the 3015LF and alpha mid)

Could barely compete with guitar players mesa half stack.

You will more than likely NEED 4 ohms. I'll second a used 215D. D is the key. The Peavey 215D is one of the best cabs peavey ever made. There are other 215's that peavey made through out the years. They are ok. The real winner is the 215D.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

+ 1 Peavey made at least two different versions of both 115's and 215's. Each had a model that was vastly superior to the other. I can't recall which were which, but if it's the "D" model, then I agree 100%

12. rhymeface

rhymeface

Thanks for all the replies, peeps! Sorry, didn't subscribe to the thread so didn't get notified of the response. All really useful.

I used this live for the first time last night and was having all sorts of problems. First it was plugged into a Marshall 1x15 250w@8ohms cab - it was the venue's cab so seemed easier to use that.

I figured that might be loud enough but really wasn't and I hope I haven't damaged their cab as the sound cut out during soundcheck (soundman did say it was a bit ratty and on it's last legs so hopefully it's not going to come down on me too much).

Then I got hold of a 4x10 from our practice room over the road. Same thing happened - sound cut out. Admittedly, I drive the gain up a bit and I know that can be daft so I brought it down and just used the master volume. The DDT speaker protection light was going red through out - I have the gain on 4 and the volume on about 6 - that's not right, surely??

In the end I used the in-house bass amp which I don't like too much but at least it works. Bit bummed out though. Any thoughts?

Is this what JoeVictim was saying about "You'll find yourself lacking at 8 ohms"?

I realise that I do need my own set-up now. Just want to be comfortable rocking up, setting my stuff up and knowing exactly what it's going to sound like each time. Need to save some dollar, methinks.

13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    With that head, I would be looking at a 4 Ohm cab. Preferably a big one.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, I think what you want is a good 4 ohm 2x15 for starters. Add a 2nd one later and it should kill. Mesa Deisel 215's are awesome cabs, and usually pretty cheap, $350ish. But, ANY good 2x15 @ 4 ohms will do the trick.

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

Dual 215's would be KILLER with that yeah.

16. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

The ddt protection was cutting before it damaged the cab, "in theory". So yeah. That wimpy venue cab was not taking your peavey. Or atleast the amp didn't think it could handle it. My advice remains that you need an efficient 4 ohm cab and be looking for a second one asap. The amp becomes a beast with 450 watts@2ohms. You won't be happy volume wise until you have all the 450 watts.

Until then, you have to set the eq flat. Max the volume knob and use the pre knob to set how loud you are. You might be able to get some eq shaping out of it, but the ddt will react the same way. There was a nitrobass group. I think they had some good eq suggestions. Good luck with your tank amp. :D