What Cab Would You Use With an Aguilar DB751

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DiggintheDowsky, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DiggintheDowsky

DiggintheDowsky

Hey everyone,

I'm buying a new stack and I'm pretty set on the Aguilar DB751 as the head. I was originally just going to get an Aguilar DB410 cabinet, but then I thought it might be a good idea to get some opinions from you guys.

So what would you guys pair with a DB751?

Thanks!
  2. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Bergantino HD210s!!
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really dig the Aguilar sound with my fEARful. If I was putting a rig together, today, around a DB751 I would be looking at a 1515/66, a 1212/6 or a fEARless 215. Or if I was looking more old school maybe a 2 Ohm Dually, or two 4 Ohm Bassic15's.
  4. DiggintheDowsky

DiggintheDowsky

My concern would be that, that wouldn't raise it very far off the ground, I'm a tall person, I don't want back problems!

I haven't heard of fEARful before. What style of music are they usually associated with?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Take a look around here on TB, and here on the designers site. The beautiful thing about these cabs is they are fairly neutral. Personally I use mine for everything from blues, pro rock/metal, to funk. There are guys using them for hard core metal, reggae, blues, jazz, stand up bass rock-a-billy... These cabs work in every style pretty well.
  7. Foz

Foz

Both kinds... Country AND Western.

But seriously - I used a a DB680 / PA amp rig into a fEARful 66* for about a year - very nice. That cab could be as clean, tight, punchy and open as that preamp - which is saying something IMO. I moved on because I needed to be able to get a bit of grit in some of the stuff we were doing and that preamp doesn't really do that very well... that was not a limitation of the cab.

*If you build your own new cab, the 1515/66 is the DIY option in greenboy's fEARful line. If you are having a cab built you can also consider the new f215 which is similar to the 66 but with tamer mids [if you engage the voicing switch]. I say build/buy a 66 [the tall guy's dream cab] - it'll work on anything from De-tuned Doom metal to Pop-Rock to Acid Jazz - if you can dial it in, the cab will spit it out.

That said, maybe the f215 Slim as a tall guy alternate?

Pics of all three cabs [1515/66, f215, f215 Slim] here...

http://www.bnaaudio.com/products/products.htm
  8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I would reccommend 3 cabs, the Berg NV610 or the Berg HS410 ( the newer one would be HD410 ) and if you want to do it your self build, one of Johnk_10 215 cabinets ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/custom-diy-2x15-cab-build-854517/ ), loaded with 3015's or Faital 15PR400. it's an easy build and it will get you that old school thump with a high power handling rating .... all this is IMHO
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I would strongly recommend a Bergantino cab. The HD 410 or 212 and your done! I liked the gs410 a lot, but mt ht322 and db750 gets it done. Loud clear and articulate
  10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

NV412, some Bag End 15's, or a FF.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As posted by some above, the Bergantino NV 610 or 412 (that can get a bit bloomy with the DB, but in a good way if that is your thing) or the HD410 sound great. The DB751 IMO excels with a cab voicing that is relatively tight down low and that has a bit of mid mid bump, given the big low end of the DB751 and the limited tone controls. The Aguilar DB cabs are magnificent with that head also.

I REALLY didn't dig the DB750 with the fEARFul cabs at all... too much of a good thing there... deep lows, no mid bump. I assume some of those Faital loaded one way 15 cabs that Greenboy builders have available would kill though.

Cabs that kind of automatically vibe a sealed multi10 cab, like the ones mentioned above, seem to work very nicely yin yanging with that big low end and smooth, relaxed midrange of the DB heads.

The optimum weight/voicing/size/power matching cab for me would be the Bergantino HD410.

IMO and IME on the above combinations.
  12. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Aguilar DB212. I have two.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Tall guy? The Aguilar DB810. A match made in heaven.... but hell on one's lower back.
  15. jdwinva

jdwinva

Bergantino 410 and Aguilar DB751 all the way. Best combination ever!
  16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

I would get the DB410 cabinet. Their cabs are very well made and I like the mid punch it offers. If you want a can that is 20 pounds lighter get the DB212. Both are great choices and its nice seeing matching cabs with heads to boot.
  17. astack

astack Supporting Member

I bet a Baer ML212 would be niiiice based on my experience with the TH500 and a pair of ML112's. Or a pair of Hathors from Audio Kinesis or one of the Berg NV's. No experience with those, but from reports I think they'd be a great match.
  18. DiggintheDowsky

DiggintheDowsky

Thanks everyone! Lot's of food for thought.
  19. gkbass13

gkbass13

Loving how my DB750 sounds with my Berg HT 1x12ER and my Berg HT 322. Great pairings!
  20. BiigM

BiigM Supporting Member

Berg nv412. Sounds amazing, every time!
  21. babebambi

babebambi

I used it with my HT115's
    I also like it with the HD212