What cabs for an MB500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pica, Feb 8, 2014.

1. pica

pica

Gallien-Krueger's website seems to be under construction. I can't get to it. Was just wondering what GK cabs to pair with a MB500 amp.
  2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Do they have to be GK cabs?

The Neo 115 GK cabs get a lot of love here.
  3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Any of their cabs (or any other brand) work with fine with them; use the cab size of your preference.
  4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

A pair of Neo 112s ought to work. I don't see the point in the lightweight class D stuff with big monster cabs, (not that the Neo 115 is that big) and I play at sane volumes, blah blah blah, you kids get off my lawn, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pica

pica

I like to use the same company's amp and head. That's just how I am.
  7. Bob C

Bob C

pica,

I just went to GK's website with no problems, except that the "store" page has been under construction for a long time. All browsers may not work the same though, I suppose.

I'm on a similar quest as you. For the first time, I'm really wanting to put together a loud, versatile micro rig and I'm seriously looking at GK gear.

My first dilemma: MB500 vs MB800? Will the latter be overkill? If the 500 does the job, I'm all for saving some bucks,

Secondly: Which cabs? I'm going to go with a pair for sure, and am leaning toward Neo 115's. Initially, I was set on MBE210's. But it was brought to my attention that 2 fifteens give a bit more speaker area than four tens. And I really don't like the idea of the MBE cabs not having a variable tweeter control. I'm also not wild about the cloth grill, but maybe that's nitpicking.

Jaco who alluded to the Neo 115 being slightly big by "micro" standards. I tend to agree, but I'm kind of afraid that some of the smaller stuff will fall short in the "beef" department. The MBE series seem a bit too "entry level" to me, but some folks on this forum like them a lot.

I'm also looking into Genz Benz Shuttle heads and Focus cabs.

All of the stuff I've mentioned above is about at the top of my current budget. I have not tried any of it out, but am going on a window shopping trip at Guitar Center next weekend.
  8. pica

pica

It is working. I'm using an IPad and had to scroll down past the first page to see the products page. Kind of weird.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

If you choose a pair of GK Neo 115-III cabs, by all means spring for the MB800 head. Could you "get away" with a lower-powered head? Maybe. But wouldn't the MB800 really be a much better match? Wouldn't the extra headroom really be worth the extra investment?

The question is: "Does what job exactly?" If you define it simply as 'getting a relatively loud sound out of the rig', then that's one thing. But if you define it as 'getting all the volume I need for the gigs that I play...with plenty left over to assure a clean, powerful signal that won't clip when I dig in', then that's an entirely different thing. A qualitative thing - not just a quantitative thing.

MM
  10. Bob C

Bob C

MM,

My thoughts exactly. Better too much than not enough. The thing is: When I first posted questions about the MB800, I got a couple of "Be careful you don't blow up your speakers" replies.

Perhaps in order to "have it all", the answer is to buy some more expensive cabinets. More research and trials needed.
  11. Mystic Michael

You don't necessarily need more expensive cabs, Bob. Good cabs - at whatever price - should suffice very nicely.

The "be careful you don't blow up your speakers" remark simply means that you should use your ample headroom judiciously, making sure to listen carefully to your cabs in high-volume situations, and turning down (and/or playing with a lighter touch) when and if needed.

It's very basic, very fundamental advice, and you'd think that it wouldn't be necessary to offer it, but for the very noobiest of noobs. But you'd be mistaken. :eyebrow:

So many lesser-experienced bassists still tend to approach bass amplification as they would approach guitar amplification, i.e. trying to precisely match the maximum output of the amp to the maximum power-handling (i.e. RMS rating) capacity of the cab, scrimping on power unnecessarily, not understanding basic concepts of electrical impedance, vastly underestimating the important of cab design, etc. And it simply doesn't work that way for bass. The physics are too different.

I reckon that an MB800 (or a 1001RB-II) head plus (2) Neo 115-III cabs would make a mighty nice mid-priced rock rig.

MM
  12. pica

pica

Due to financial restraints, I'm probably just going to get one cab for starters and maybe get a second cab at a later date.
  13. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Kind of arbitrary, isn't it?

You're missing out on a whole world of great pairings.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Get a used 2 X 12 here off TB, maybe a Dr Bass or GK for around $425-$450 you can get a decent 4 ohm cab that will play very well with the MB500 or MB800. (recommend the MB800)
  15. Bob C

Bob C

It appears the OP (pica) already owns or has decided on an MB500. I have not made up my mind yet.

MysticMichael - I completely understand and agree with everything you said about headroom, judging with your ears, not using a "guitar player attitude", and so on. It's just that I was lead to believe that the MB500 is a "loud 500 watts" (conservatively rated).

Doug Parent - Here's the thing about a 2X12 cab. I really want to stack cabs when needed. That's probably going to mean going down to 2 ohms, spending more money and having a larger footprint and taking up more car space compared to a 2X10's or 1X15's.

Of course two fifteens (or any amount of speakers) can only handle so much. But I'm looking at that speaker setup as a good answer to my fit current needs of a loud, compact and affordable stack.

I was never on the micro-rig bandwagon before, but now it's a research mission for me.
  16. blmeier7

blmeier7

A pair of 1x15 cabs would be my choice too. It makes for a nice modular setup. I've played with two 1x12 cabs as well but always seems to prefer 15's.

Currently I'm using two Genz Benz Focus 115's with either a GK MB200 or MB Fusion. Works well, and has kept me happy with my tone for a while now.
  17. Mystic Michael

It is.

Though I don't mean to intrude on Doug's answer, if your assumption is that a 2x12 cab necessarily has a 4-ohm impedance, you'd be mistaken. There are a number of vendors who build both 4-ohm and 8-ohm 2x12 cabs.

If you were to acquire a GK 2x12 Neo, for example, I can tell you for certain that they are all 8-ohm cabs. So if you were to obtain an MB800 head, you could put up to 500 watts into that one cabinet - and the full 800 watts into a stack of two of them.

So, taking up more car space? Probably. Spending more money? Possibly. Dealing with a larger footprint? Not necessarily. Going down to 2 ohms? Definitely not - unless the ultimate game plan is to scale up to four (4) 2x12 cabs. :eek:

MM
  18. yokoloko

yokoloko

I had a MB200 + 212MBE and a Ray35 set and was happy with it.
    The cab was quite easy to move around and the I was able to get some good tones out of it.

The set was loud and punchy enough for small/mid size venues.

I think today this cab is costing around 500usd...
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

500w is plenty of power into any single 4 ohm cab. I would look at Avatar also for their B212 and B410 neo cabs. Last I saw they were selling the B410 NEO for around 400 bucks delivered. Great deal.
  20. pica

pica

Thanks jeff7bass
  21. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Click on this link, scroll down and you'll see the B410 NEO for 345.00 plus delivery. Sweet deal.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/