What can anyone tell me about a Garnet G90T?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SquierJazz72, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

My drummer just contacted me to say he was possibly buying one, but didn't know anything much.

I have come up with little info other than some pictures and a general idea that they were pretty good amps, and are collectible. But I can't find much out about the actual specs.

I've gathered that it was a 70's tube amp, possibly 12" speaker. The Guess Who used Garnet amps, from what I know.Any more info or specs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
  2. PrairieDogma

PrairieDogma

Sorry, never played one so can't speak to the specifics. But you're right about the Guess Who using them. Built in Winnipeg, Manitoba, from what I recall they were the "other" big Canadian amp - Traynor being the one we always saw in the Toronto area. Randy Bachman gives a bit of their history in his book Vinyl Tap Stories. I don't think they sold nearly as many amps as Traynor did, so this could be somewhat rare.
    They had a good reputation in a classic vibe sort of way back in the day.
    Keep us posted as you learn more.
    Cheers!
  3. PrairieDogma

PrairieDogma

4. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

Thanks.

I'll let you know what else I might find.
    Plus, if he gets it, he's going to loan it to me to check it out and test it.
    I am the bassist, after all.:)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've always liked Garnet amps. A guitar player in one of my bands had a Rebel in the 60's that we all liked a lot. It was a piggyback with a 212 cabinet. Great sounding amp and it had a really nice smooth tremolo that had a light that flashed with the tremolo speed which was neat.

Either people love them or hate them. They are popular amongst collectors which drives up the price. These amps were designed with innovations that were years ahead of other boutique companies. For instance, they were adding gain stages to add crunch long before Mesa started doing it. Some of the amps used tubes that were common in radio sets but not so common in musical instrument amps. They had a lot of different models. They also build amps under different brand names, other than Garnet, for retailers like Sears, so they could offer their own lines. They had a complete line from high to low power. They made the Herzog which was a nice sustain device. Basically a Fender Champ with a dummy load. I recall a Leslie like amp with a rotating speaker.

These amps were very quiet. The ones that I've seen were built point-to-point. Open one, and to an unexperienced eye, it can look like a rats nest. One reason why some people hate them. They can be difficult to work on. The builder knew exactly how to construct an amp to minimize noise.

The G90T was a small low wattage practice amp for bass players. It had 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, two 6V6GT power tubes, fixed bias, diode rectifier, 4 and 8 ohm speaker outs.