What can I do before first lesson?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Exemonium, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

Basically, I rented a nice bass. I've played electric bass, can read music, know my notes all relatively well, but always room for improvement. My question is that my lessons don't start until monday and I have this beautiful instrument staring at me with 2 days off. What can I do until my lessons to learn and prepare? Like reading a couple chapters ahead in a book.
    The other issue is that I'll only be in the area for 1 month and then I have to go back home where it's very difficult to find instruction. So I'm trying to get as much as I can from this.
  2. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

Work on your major scales and modes as well as the diatonic arpeggios from the lowest note on your instrument to the highest. All keys. You can never know them too well.
  3. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah dude, that's about all you can do, I guess. When you get back home, find whomever plays bass and make them an offer they can't refuse. The right student can make a teacher out of a good bass player, I believe. Every musician I play with unwittingly becomes my teacher.
  4. Exemonium

Well right now, I've never touched an upright bass. That's why I'm trying to do all that I can to get it rolling as quickly as possible.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

YES!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Excellent attitude!

OP- You are at the beginning of a journey- savor this moment of excitement and anticipation, and try to recall it when times are tough. Consider starting a journal to record your thoughts and experiences. Write down some of the things you'd like to be able to do and when you accomplish them you will be able to look back and reminisce. Best of luck to you, keep us informed of your progress!

Joe
  7. HowiePlaysBass

HowiePlaysBass

Read things about proper technique and drill them into you're head... You don't wanna waste time later
  8. Exemonium

Yes. I've been watching tons of videos and reading on proper technique. Two more days until the lesson. Argg!
  9. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

First setup your practice hours, normal is about 3 hrs a day. If you do this you would have put in 1095 hrs for the year.
  10. Exemonium

I'm Hoping to put in at least that many. Probably more. I want to get to the level that I can play it with others as quickly as possible. Maybe nothing amazing, but with others none the less.
  11. bassdog

bassdog

What are you wanting to get from the lessons? Are you seeking help with specific things? So these are on electric or upright bass?

If it is something beyond fundamentals, make sure you have the fundamentals down pretty well. Scales, chords, arpeggios, chord notes, fingerings, triads, stacked triads. Stuff like that. If it is this fundamental stuff you want to work on in the lesson, then still work on fundamentals. The teacher should be able to assess your playing and then structure lessons to improve weaknesses and give you stuff to practice. Just my thought. Bob
  12. Exemonium

No. I play electric now. Learning upright. I play for theatres and I'd get a lot more work if I was proficient with upright as well. So I'm diving right in! :)
  13. HowiePlaysBass

HowiePlaysBass

One of the easiest things you can do is look at scores for theater music and learn to count! I can't believe how many double bassists who completely forget about rhythms :( A lot of times a well played entrance makes a lot of difference.
  14. Exemonium

Oh I believe it. I've been playing for theatres for a few years now. I just want to upgrade my skill set to make myself available for more shows by playing double bass as well as electric.