1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What can you tell me about this Charvel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theGirthquake, Jan 28, 2014.

1. theGirthquake

theGirthquake

New here, thanks for having me. My buddy gave me his beloved Charvel last night because his band is sponsored and won't let him play it anymore, he didn't want it to fall to disuse. This particular guitar has some incredible history behind it, I'm honored it's been passed down to me, but I don't know anything about it. What is there to know about its history with respect to Jackson/Charvel production of the time, model, age (guessing '90-91 based off the headstock), materials, hardware/pups, specs, etc.?

Sorry for the quality on some of the pics. Full-size album is available here if you want. In case you're wondering, those sigs on the back of the headstock are Alex Webster and Rusty Cooley. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

You have one hell of a friend. Amimbari, what do we have here? I'll give it a whirl...

A Fusion IV? Japanese, circa 1989..

Upgraded PU's..
  3. theGirthquake

theGirthquake

That he is, real standup dude and a hell of a musician.

Also, thank you, seems you're dead on. With that info I found http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/charvel-japan-import-guitars.php , very helpful:

'89 Fusion V
    Basswood body
    Maple neck
    Rosewood fingerboard
    $1050 list price in '89
    Still no particular info on the pickups but other Fusion V images I've seen online have the same ones, so may be OEM

I've seen Amimbari's name mentioned a lot with regard to Charvels, I'd appreciate his input if there's anything to add!
  4. amimbari

amimbari

ya what Dan said. he pmed me to come here. thats the first run of fusion 5-s 1989 for the 1990 catalog. and no those are JBE pickups and supposed to be there.
  5. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

Yep, I count well... Five strings there. :bag:

6. theGirthquake

theGirthquake

Ah okay, cool. Found this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/rail-pickups-723082/ , lots of good info there. I'm gonna clean it up, re-string it and set it up (action is a little higher than I prefer) and see how she does. Any more info/opinions/comments always welcome, I'll report back later. Thanks again.
  7. amimbari

amimbari

all the the fusion5s came that way with dualrails - part of the package.

and with the keen eye, those are 4string pickups. the jackson concert 5s came out a little later so they used the covered ones which fit the holes exactly I guess for the limited amount of fusions they were gonna do, they just got em from JBE. If you look, there is a pretty substantial gap at each end.

[​IMG]
  8. amimbari

amimbari

and the jackson version..roller bridge and 5string covered pickups.

[​IMG]
  9. theGirthquake

theGirthquake

I remember reading that they used 4-string pups, how do you feel about the tone of the dual rails? I know it all comes down to preference and the world of pickups is a deep and broad one but I'm wondering if there's any conventional wisdom when it comes to these guitars. I like that it's a basswood body, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of high-end clarity for clean punch and growl on the low end. Been snowed in where I am, haven't even had a chance to take it out to the space and plug in. Regretting selling my BA115HP...
  10. amimbari

amimbari

you are right, tone is subjective. I dunno, my preamp makes everything I have sound the same anyway if necessary, so........

no shielding in mine, and it has no noise. Recording with it? I have many samples from albums I used it on. It is alder, not basswood and much lighter compared to the poplar wood other units I have. They didnt start using basswood till the mid-90's.

heres a couple scratch tracks- straight from my preamp ( behringer v-amp pro ) straight into the computer. Certainly background bass with no treble, but rest assured it does get VERY trebly if you want it that way.
    first track is drop-A, and the second is regular tuning.
    https://soundcloud.com/amimbari/believe-mike-bass/s-YJwGH
    https://soundcloud.com/amimbari/sober-mike-bass/s-nSASs
  11. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

I used to own that exact model, it is a Charvel Fusion V from Japan, I loved that bass and have looked for one every since. Same color, everything...
  12. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Exact same pickups too, not hot rodded....that's what it came with.