What CDs most closely resemble The Sidewinder?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by boynamedsuse, Sep 10, 2012.

1. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

I am looking for Jazz CDs that most closely resemble Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder CD. I am not looking for "better," but rather "similar" and consider the entire CD, not just the title track. The lead instrument doesn't have to be trumpet. It can be piano, etc. What do you recommend?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Well, a whole bunch of other Lee Morgan stuff for sure. The Rumproller is probably the best example of that type of boogoolo, but The Gigolo is another good "Sidewinder" like album. Lee Morgan made a ton of great records, but they didn't all sound like the Sidewinder. The Cooker may be my favorite example of those that don't...oh and Search for The New Land..but that's not what you ask.

Lou Donaldson had a lot of funky, boogalishous records like that too. Aligator Boogooloo and Hot Dog come to mind.

Most anything by Duke Pearson, Wahoo and The Right Touch are high on my list of his.

Hank Mobley was a Lee Morgan collaborator and some of his records have a similar feel. The Turnaround, Dippin' and Hi Voltage all have that feel. Soul Station is probably the definitive Mobley record and it is absolutely excellent, though I wouldn't say it was like The Sidewinder. I'm also partial to Roll Call, but I digress.

And let's not forget Herbie Hancock. Not quite the same thing, but some funk infused hard bop. Takin' Off is a seminal recording, though there are plenty.

Wayne Shorter's - Adam's Apple was sort of his "Sidewinder" album.

Lot's of great...amazing...wonderful 60's Blue Note records and the Sidewinder influenced a lot of them. Dig all that stuff and then branch out from there it is a deep, deep well.

By the way, I checked your profile to see where you lived, because if you were local, you could have come checked out some records, but it doesn't say. However, in answer to your question "James Jamerison - who else is there?" The answer is (starting with the Sidewinder) Bob Cranshaw, Butch Warren, Sam Jones, Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, NHOP, Andrew Simpkins, Wilber Ware, Joe Henderson, Scott LaFaro, Red Mitchell, Paul Warburton, you, me, Duck Dunn...deep well. Glad you're interested in dipping your ear it it, you'll be amazed at what happens to your fingers.

Edit: The Sidewinder is a great record. Nothing is "better" at being the Sidewinder that that, but it is one of those records that pull a lot of people into a much broader idea of what can go on in jazz. If you love it now, I predict that you will always love it. I still do.

3. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

edit;
    That guy is just weird. :help: Although, "Scott LaFaro, Red Mitchell, Paul Warburton, has a nice ring to it. :hyper:
    Thanks, Troy.
    EDIT: I think Lee's use of triplets in his compositions and in his playing, are one of the things that draws you into his work and can cause a serious Ear Worm that can make you lose some sleep at night. A good example of this is Ceora, a tune every jazz player should know because it's still called at jam sessions all over the world.

4. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Just curious. How does Joe Henderson fit into your list of bass pickers?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Wow, shows that I shouldn't try to make lists of bass players late at night on days when I've taken my medication. No explanation really. I recall that I was trying to write Ron Carter, I guess I was still thinking about albums.Good eye, Gerry.

Paul you're quite the prolific reader. Can't slip **** by you!

7. MLysh

MLysh

"What CDs most closely resemble The Sidewinder?"

Almost every Blue Note album recorded after its success!

8. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

Now THAT is some list. Thank you!

With regard to Jamerson, that was a little tongue in cheek, although he is the one who most got me interested in bass. In any case, if we are putting together a list, I would like to add John Clayton to those you mentioned as well. :)

9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Thanks Troy! I have - and love - several of these recordings. But now I have a bunch more to check out. There aren't enough hours in the day!

10. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

Thanks for the bump, Jason.

As an update, I checked out four of Troy's recommendations so far. I liked three of them very much. In approximate order of personal preference:

I genuinely love Hank Mobley's Soul Station. Maybe I should start a "What CDs most closely resemble Soul Station?" thread. :p

Another surprise to me was Herbie Hancock's Takin' Off.

Lee Morgan's The Rumproller (what in the H is a "rumproller"?) was really good, although I would classify it as a "sequel" more than an "equal" to The Sidewinder. In any case, this is likely to get listened to often.

I will continue the search, but that is a great start. For the record, I already had Morgan's Search for The New Land and like everything except for the title tune. That is a "start on track 2" CD for me.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I would add the Cannonball Adderley groups when he had Joe Zawinul on electric piano - they were going for that kind of "vibe"... :p

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

Ray Charles, Gary McFarland, Gabor Szabo.