1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What color is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

It's supposed to be a 62 reissue.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388375450.158988.jpg

2. DanBass81

DanBass81

Lake Placid Blue. It can look quite different when photographed from different angles and in different lighting.
    Aged LPB looks similar to Ocean Turquoise

3. verycoolname

verycoolname

Looking at Fender's color chart along with this nifty chart about Fender's custom colors.

Could be Lake Placid Blue, but it looks a little more like Ocean Turquoise Metallic though, which means it wouldn't be a '62 Reissue (according to the chart Ocean Turquoise Metallic didn't come out until 1965).

That all being said, I'm not a Fender expert. Just Googled around for a few minutes.

4. silvertone

silvertone

This week I obtained a Cocobolo Topped '95 era Q5 from a TB'er whom I won't name out of a sense of disgression.

Upon reciept the bass had some issues with the electronics (disintegrated pre-amp/battery wires and per my luthier, a couple of bad pots.)

Also, the normally pristine "thousand dancing ladies." carbon fiber neck was somehow affected either by sanding to remove the gloss or (we suppose) was owned by a player with toxic sweat because the gloss has gone grey drab looking.

I am a player, not a collector so I'm not too bent out of shape about these issues and I'm lucky that my very talented and local luthier is Rich Hoeg, former master modulus builder.

I should have this back in my hands by early next week and ready for gigging!

Rich indicated to me in conversation was that Modulus as a company was "top heavy," with less than stellar management. One issue he cited that probably contributed to the companies ultimate demise was that one executive unilaterally decided to set up a crazy expensive and complex, automated Telephone system that cost a fortune to run and maintain. Part of the issue was that if the contract for the phone system wasn't carefully managed by the executive, it automatically renewed and this put the whole enterprise into the red. They were never able to recover. And all this happened at the dawn of cellular communications and could have been remedied by chucking the system and contract and having everyone work with cell phones.

A bummer to say the least.

That's all I know - but for me, it's all about tone and playability of the basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Excuse me, but what does any of this have to do with the color of the OP bass?

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Looks like Ocean Turquoise.

8. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I notice that sometimes the tort PG can make the LPB look different...like the reds in the tort bring out a "Green" somehow...

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is an LPB Jazz reissue -

[​IMG]

10. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    It could be Ocean Turquiose or LPB. Hard to say for sure, but LPB would be a lot more common, even in the reissues. The clear coat yellows.. and since yellow and blue make green, well-aged LPB often looks about the same as midly aged OT.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's a reissue, so unless it's a reeeeaaally old reissue (it's not), that finish hasn't yellowed. I do agree that LPB is MUCH more common than OTurq.

12. twc1313

twc1313

I'd say LPB, looks very similar to a Jazz I had. IMO LPB with the tort pickguard is as pretty as it gets.