1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What color Pickguard for a 3-tone Sunburst Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezmar, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I just bought A Fender Jazz From a fine fellow here on TalkBass, and it's 3-tone Sunburst with a White pickguard and Maple fretboard. Now, I'm thinking of possibly replacing the pickguard, since the white is nice and all, but I want something a little more "nice" looking. Not extravagant fancy-pants, but something that looks a little fancier. Something like tort, pearloid, etc.

I suppose the best way to go about this is for everyone to give me their pictures and personal recommendations and I can pick which one I like.

So Fire away!
  2. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Red tort.

Black.
  3. Joshua Alexander

Joshua Alexander

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Tort, nothing else looks right with 3TSB.
  5. Portphilia

Portphilia

Like Jeff Scott said. The bass I have now is a Fender Jazz Standard, and almost as soon as I got it I ditched the ugly white pickguard and put a tort one on it. Can't go wrong.
  6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

7. Ezmar

Ezmar

So pearloid doesn't really flatter it? I was thinking that might look nice, but a lot of things do, in theory.

Also, what tort would look nice, besides red? I like the red, but if there were something lighter, to provide more contrast, that still looked good?
  8. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

10. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

I like black..
  11. Marton

Marton

Fixed :smug:.
  12. spellcaster

spellcaster

13. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I've looked around here and I also believe that the tort looks nice-est on the three tone sunburst finish. I've one with a rosewood fretboard. I want to add the ashtray cover and pickup cover. Also block inlay stickers. Pearloid.
  14. TC2112

TC2112

2T Burst and Maple - Gold Ano
    3T Burst and anything - Tort!

[​IMG]
  15. eee

eee

Tape a cat to your bass
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Four words - TEE OH ARUH TEE
  17. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

+1, had it on a 3ts SX P-bass with a maple board, it looked teriffic. Tort is WAY overused. (IMO)
  18. Ezmar

Ezmar

Are there different colors/variations of tort? Also, any opinions on a pearloid guard?
  19. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Personally I like Perloid. Black would also look good. However this is TB so I am required to say Tort!!!
  20. christle

christle Supporting Member

I love the tort on my bass but I don't disagree with you at all. Part of the problem, IMO, is that there is a lot of cheap, bad tort out there. You really need to make sure the tort you pick accents the burst on your bass or compliments the solid colour if that is the case.