What color pickguard for this body?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 18, 2014.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I want to replace one of my jazz bass bodies with a lighter one and this one keeps catching my eye. The color is totally different then anything I have ever had. First off, is this color too much for a 48 year old guy who plays classic rock and blues? If I do get it what color pickguard do you think would go best with it?

[​IMG]
  2. Stag

Stag Supporting Member

This color is great! Classic rock and blues? No problem! If you want to play it safe then i'd vote for black pickguard. A little more fun would be the bright red tortoise. Those are my votes! Cheers!
  3. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    White Mother of Toilet Seat!
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Nah...antique (slightly yellowed) MOTS.
  5. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Supporting Member

I'm not much for that color and I'm older than you. LOL
  6. 1960jbass

1960jbass

That is definitely a cool color and I'm 53!! My vote is for white pearloid or tort.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

8. gjbassist

I don't know how well you can tell from the full shot but the paint is a metalflake with fairly large specks.

[​IMG]

I was actually thinking about the vintage tort because I have one on another bass and it has some gold in it. Guitar Fetish sells them too.

[​IMG]

I do like the brown tort and the regular tort from Warmoth, which may work out great because I might do a P pickup in the neck instead of a J pickup and I can get either from them.

Keep your ideas coming.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I am constantly amazed at the colors people would put a tort pick guard on. Any tort would look terrible on that color. Black, white, cream, or pearloid would all look great. But tort would tacky as an orange 70s leisure suit.
  10. K2000

K2000

Metalflake anything is sweet. A little too flashy for me personally (my P bass is black) but I like it. Maybe too flashy for a blues band (unless you're the band leader or vocalist). I dunno.
  11. gjbassist

Well that could be true. I might hate it when I actually get it on the bass. Maybe it will clash too much with the metalflake paint. I have seen tort on some other colors that I didn't think it would work on such as seafoam green or lake placid blue and it looked good to me.
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The thing about tort is, which color? Even between brown and red, there's a lot of variation. One might look awesome, and the next look like dogmeat. On that bass though, I would probably go black.
  13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Hey its your bass, if you think a tort guard would look good on that bass, that's all that matters. But my opinions on tort is that brown tort only looks good on white and natural bodies. Red tort looks awful on everything.
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

With a gold body I'd go for black hardware and a black pick guard or with chrome hardware and a mirror or chrome pick guard. And maybe even a black block and bound maple neck.

I normally love tort but not on gold metal flake.
  15. Marton

Marton

It's TB man, the only possible answer is tort.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Black or white.
  17. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    And really, the OP is from KC...red tort on gold....it's a Chiefs thing, huh?
  18. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This. I was never a huge fan of parchment or plain white guards, but I have to admit that they just work better in some cases. I have a honey blonde that sports a parchment guard and a charcoal frost that sports a mint green. I tried several colors on the charcoal before throwing up my hands and realizing that white or mint were really the best matches for it. I think the jazz bass in the pic screams for parchment/white.
  20. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    And what exactly is wrong with a 70's leisure suit??

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to the cleaners before they close to pick up my, ummmm.....never mind.

:p