1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What controller for 2 Chauvet colorPalettes?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

There are other threads on lighting here, so...

I was looking for an easy setup for lighting. I run sound from the stage and will probably wind up doing this as well. Recommend an easy to use controller!
  2. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

I'd suggest just going sound active. I've looked at controllers before, but in reality I just couldnt see keeping up with lights and play a show at the same time.
  3. Stinsok

The biggest function would be "ON." No chases, no changing, just trying to wash the stage.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, just set them to the "sound" activated mode. You can probably set one as a master (depending on what model you've got) so they'll both do the same thing if you want.

If you're only running 2 cans I probably wouldn't worry about a controller just yet. As for turning them on, just plug em' in before you take the stage.
  5. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

In that case, either a power strip near you that you can switch on and off or it's quite possible the foot pedal controller they make for the ColorStrips (LED-FS1) would work for these as well. You could check in the Chauvet forum or call them to see if it would work.

I run 2 Colorstrips and thought about getting LED-FS1 (footswitch). You can find them on Ebay pretty darn cheap (saw one go for $10) one time. I've contemplated getting one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet as I usually turn them on and leave them on. There is a review of the controller on youtube as well. What I don't like is it's not programmable, but it does have a blackout function, which is what I think you want.

6. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I bought the LED-FS1 for my colorstrips for gigs I don't want to bring out all my DMX gear and it is pretty good. This might seem obvious but make your changes during logical parts of a song (chorus, bridge, solo) The only feature I don't like on the controller is you either have to blackout or cycle all the way through all the programs to get back to one, they should have made it with an up and down.
  7. Stinsok

I have been looking into LED's more and more and now I don't know what I want. I just need something to light the stage. Chauvet has phased out their MINI 4 Bar systems and you can get a setup (footswitch, lights, stand) for 200.00 shipped.) I could spring for 2 systems and not break the bank. I am also interested in the Colorstrips as well.
  8. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

I've been using the two colorstrips for a year and they light the stage well. Very bright and look killer with fog. I've used them back, side, And front of stage depending on stage layout. I just bought 4 of the Chinese eBay par 64s for $200 and am awaiting their arrival next week. Will give a review of them on here after I see how they work out. Plan is to use the 64's up front to light our faces with a in and out color fade and strips in back for the flashier light show stuff. All on sound active for now.

You can see visa with the strips and my band at www.reverberation.com/brokenglassband1
  9. jad

jad

Consider keeping an eye out for someone dumping their old non DMX par 38s.
  10. Stinsok

This is what I have in mind:

11. Hactar

Hactar

OP, one option (somewhat to big for your needs, methinks) would be an ETC Smartfade. ETC products are very nice, but probably too complicated for your needs.

Another option would be an iPad and a computer running an OSC to DMX converter. (You would need some hardware along the lines of a Elation ART SSC)

A more practical option would be something from the Chauvet Obey line, such as an Obey 10 or Obey 4.
  12. c2thej2theizzo

c2thej2theizzo

Have to agree with Hactar & Stinsok. I use the slightly older Chauvet LED 4Bar and 4Play all the time for small shows and run it sound active mode or use the foot controller. Nice and easy setup on two tripods. Also are LED so doesnt draw alot of power.

FYI - this particular video lights are controlled using chavet's software and DMX computer interface - but you get the idea. (and a small fog hazer)
  13. Stinsok

The LED's on top, are they the 4 Bar or Mini 4 Bar's?
  14. brokencode

brokencode Supporting Member

Just wondering if you used your Chauvet colorPalettes on stage yet? I just bought 2 but haven't used them during a gig yet. Man, the things are super bright, don't look directly at them straight on! Lol I have my pointed to the ceiling in my studio for now. They do a nice job with the wash. I don't think I'm going to get a controller as for I like the sound settings. Whats setting do you like the best? I'm liking #8.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

New LED alternatives on the cheap. mcm electronics, stellar labs sl-4192. I have 3 of these. They go on special at $199 plus freight every so often. Pretty much like a Chauvet 4 bar. Plastic housings but they seem robust. Put down. Lot of light. I use them as rear wash with Chauvet slim par 56's out front. Control it from my iPad with Luminaire and a DMXKing interface. The SL 4 bars come with case, stand and footswitch but are fully dmx which I prefer. Over a couple of week, I built up scenes and then create 'stacks' -basically a list of scenes to be played back with fades and timing either pre-defined or on tap tempo. Cool but as with most computer base lighting... Not cheap. Still it will handle a ton of fixtures so I address each of the lights on the SL-4192 bars as independent fixtures.
  16. frozenbolt

frozenbolt

I have the footswitch/controller and two mini-strips and I must say, the foot controller is a piece of crap. I bought it, tried it out during evaluation of the strips and for one show. After that, I boxed it up and it's sat on the shelf ever since. Now, I just go behind one of the strips (they're set up in Master/Slave), choose a pattern and let the sound activation take over.

The foot controller could have had a lot of potential, but they wey underdesigned it. I'd have paid twice as much for simple controls such as program indication, and up/down directional switch and a three-way blackout/program/washout switch. It would be nice if the name designations for the switches actually correlated to what their function is.

It's like this foot 'programmer' was designed as an afterthought and by an engineer who didn't really have the specs for the strips he was designing it for. In theory, it could have been a good product, in actuality, there's a reason they can be had on eBay for 10 bucks.

Send me 20 bucks to handle the shipping and you can have mine. I doubt I'll ever use it again. I'd rather buy a small dmx controller and learn how to use it. At least then, I'd get the patterns I want, instead of just stepping through the preprogrammed ones, which, while have some decent options, always seem to run through the same color pattern.

BTW, my most used pattern is #12, as it isn't as bright, gives the colors on stage and adds some 'flash' each time it changes.

In other words, the strips rock, the foot controller, not so much. :)

Rock on,
    'Bolt