What did 2012 teach you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Dec 26, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    First off, i hope everyone has had a great holiday season and a happy new year.. But, i have a question to ask... Did you learn anything this year? For me i'd say yes. This is what i have gathered....

You never learn anything if you keep repeating the same mistakes.

This is meant to me musically, and in some personal decisions i've made over the past year. This is also a reflection of seeing friends/acquaintances not really seem to, well.... "get it", in some decisions they've made in their own personal lives. This is all positive, for me at least, knowing that I can improve on this and have a much better outlook on the next year.

How about you? Discuss....
  2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I learned to have higher expectations of people in general and specifically people here on Talkbass. We were able to talk about some subjects that are potential powder kegs. There was a lot of different views on some subjects but we pulled it off without too much drama. In general it is a great group of people here. I think most of you know what I am talking about. :bag: :p
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i learned that my last 2gf's are still in love with me! which translated means,...

i still got it,... SWAGGGG!!!;)
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I learned that real happiness exists only in the absence of selfishness and the key to that is by helping others.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

2012 was a bitch, she told me I'm an underachiever and an *******.
  7. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I don't know about the underachiever part but you sure don't seem like a donkey's butt to me.
  8. Staredge

Staredge

Guitards are whiny little beatches, and it's hard to find people who want to act like adults on the Craigslist musician board.
  9. Truktek2

Truktek2

That the Mayans were full of crap :bag:
  10. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Musically, 2012 taught me not to worry about what other people think.... go & do the things you've always wanted to do because tomorrow might be too late. Hopefully I'll have progressed enough to play bass in a live performance with a drummer & guitarist.
  11. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I've learned that how important something is to you can just be a matter of perspective.

I built a band from the ground up (not single-handedly, but she was my baby). I paid her lots of attention, made sure she was successful.....

My band was very important to me for 10 years. Finally, I got sick of the shenanigans and the grueling schedule, and I walked away......... It was hard to do, leaving something that I'd built and nurtured and had a certain amount of pride in.

Best thing that ever happened to me!! I love having my time to myself. I love not having to deal with douchebagues! I love playing in church! I love being able to take off for a weekend with my wife!
  12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I've said this a few times in different places already, but I've learned that you reap what you sow. What I mean is that I don't know if I quite believe in karma being this giant equalizer in the sky that rights all of the wrongs, but if you take care of the people around you, it will pay off 10x...and if you treat them like crap, expect the same in turn.

Specifically, I had an incident happen this summer where someone tried very hard to stab me in the back. To effectively do so would require the cooperation of other people. However, I had fostered a lot of good will with the people who could have allowed me to get screwed over. Because I had so much respect and good will with these people, the person who tried to stab me in the back was effectively muzzled from doing anything of substance. Honestly, things played out so beautifully that Robert Greene should add another chapter to the 48 Laws of Power about my experience.

I never fostered good will with these people with any specific ends in mind. I just did it because I liked them and wanted to do good by them. However, I'm glad that I did, because it ended up playing out the way it did.
  13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

To put in in other words; if I were nicer life would be better. But thanks!
  14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    I have been dealing with a similar situation. It feels good to be out of something that just kept shooting itself in the foot. And the douchebag thing... i can totally relate.

Point is, i'm no longer dealing with it. Same as you. It feels fantastic to be out of that environment.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Ive learned to hold back when providing comments, as a lot of people just are not ready to hear the truth. And, until theyre ready, the truth is best kept a secret.
  16. zachoff

zachoff

• Teenage girls are tough to raise.
    • Good bands are hard to find.
    • There's an awful lot of good country music out there.
    • Reunion shows are sometimes not good, no matter how good the band used to be.
    • If your wife is happy, you're happy (usually).
    • Bourbon is sometimes better than single malt (see threads! :D).
    • IPAs are still my favorite type of beer.
    • G&L basses rule.
    • Ampeg tube goodness is just that.
    • Not being in a band creates a lot of boring nights playing with yourself.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never trust Mayan calendar carvers.
  18. David Jayne

David Jayne

What, athlete? Anemone? Adoptee? Attache? Antique?

:D
  19. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

2012 taught me that every time I look at the mess that I'm married to, I realize I should have held onto my high school sweetheart. She is smokin' hot after 2 kids and 20+ years.
  20. knumbskull

knumbskull

2012 taught me that you never know what's just around the corner, good or bad.
  21. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I learned that spending my entire life savings on a doomsday bunker was probably a bad idea :D