What did you get your boss for Xmas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RS, Dec 11, 2013.

1. RS

RS Supporting Member

nothing, carrots, or other?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'll give him handshake at the Christmas party on Friday so he can see that I appreciate his appreciation, then I'll go home.
  3. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Same thing I got him last year: a reasonably competent and somewhat cooperative employee for the next 12 months.
  4. RS

RS Supporting Member

Ha!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

The rest of my coworkers could not comprehend why I didn't want to contribute to getting our boss a Christmas gift until I explained it like this. "I like M**** but she is not my friend nor is she my family she is my boss. She is a nice person and I enjoy working for her but that is the extent of our relationship. Its not like she buys us birthday gifts." That shut them up real fast.
  7. pedroims

pedroims

xmas presents to my boss?! I dont see any reason why I should give him something. I give presents to my wife and kids only.
  8. RS

RS Supporting Member

I am not sure how I got started giving gifts to my bosses. I got a raise and a bonus one year, so I think I feel the need to give them something as a token of gratitude. The last few years it has been most wine so it isn't too bad, but I'd honestly rather not give or receive anything outside of our company's secret santa exchange.
  9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

My boss? He's a nice guy and all, but I dont have a personal relationship with him that would warrant gift giving.
  10. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

My boss is a nonpracticing Jew and we both share a dim view of overcommercialized holidays. If I gave him a gift at this time of year, I think he'd laugh. Because we're both psychology professors, he'd also likely accuse me of being a stereotypically manipulative social psychologist who wanted something from him.

Oddly enough, he has continued a practice that he inherited from his predecessor, which is to hit up everyone in our department for money to give to the secretary. I suspect it's a holdover from the days when faculty relied on secretaries to do all the work they felt was beneath them, such as typing tests and making copies. Since I do all of that myself and set foot in her office maybe twice a year, I don't feel obligated to contribute. Sometimes I wonder if I'm violating some unspoken rule, but so far I haven't felt guilty enough to fork over any cash.

I'm friends with a secretary in a different department whose boss does the same thing, and she finds it very awkward. She works for a large number of older men who dump all their "menial" tasks on her and pretty much treat her like dirt (her boss doesn't, but at the same time he says nothing to the other men about their behavior). I have watched a few of them drop a textbook and stack of notes on her desk and say "I need to you type up this test by tomorrow," then walk off. The last time I pointed out to one that their department has a 48-hour test creation policy, he screamed that it was none of my business and I needed to leave now.

I suspect the money is yet another way of reminding her that "We are lofty and important professors, so here's a token to justify our rotten treatment of you the rest of the year!"

The manipulation, expectations, awkwardness, and strings attached to holiday gifting make me dread this time of year. If I want to give somebody a present, I'll do it regardless of the season. For example, a few years ago, my boss and I were discussing brands of liquor that we hadn't seen in awhile (living in PA means having to buy your booze and wine at state stores, which have a limited selection). Not too long after, I was at a liquor store in New York and spotted one he had mentioned, so I bought it for him.
  11. RS

RS Supporting Member

Ditto.
  12. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm my own boss, and I'm buying myself a Bass Big Muff for Christmas :)
  13. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I don't always get bosses gifts, but there have been a few really good ones through the years that I have. When I do, it's something small, and thoughtful. Historically, those gifts have been stuff like a huge glass jar full of gum, mints, and candy (the boss who stopped at my desk daily asking if I had gum, mints, or candy because he'd worked through lunch again), a goody bag of desk trinkets related to inside jokes (insulated cup, Yoda bobblehead, Hot Wheels sports car, etc.), and cubicle warfare gadgets (we have a fun office environment where cube war breaks the monotony).

Most fun gift ever given - slingshot monkeys. That one went over so well that the boss bought one for everyone on the team and we regularly had monkey wars or monkey olympics.
  14. mglinski

mglinski Supporting Member

Let's see......

Had an outstanding review, was recognized as top performer in my group, and got zero bonus, and a 8 cent raise.

Put me down for a dime!
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's also kinda strange to buy a gift for someone who gave you the money in the first place.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When they asked me about it, I gave them $5.00 and told them to buy whatever they like. I am totally against the entire thing, but sometimes you go along to get along. I usually don't, but in this case, I might as well.

They can buy her perfume, soap on a rope, gift certificates for a massage parlour, a rabid monkey, or a framed portrait of Robin Williams in drag, for all I care.

I would be upset if they bought her a gun. I'm happier with her not being armed.
  17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Either a bottle of wine or a bottle of Grey Goose, I'll see what's on sale.
  18. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

This is so awkward. I work for myself, and I'm Jewish. Should I get myself something anyway? What exactly is the etiquette?
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

20. Monster Truck

Monster Truck bassist for GESH Supporting Member

I'm not going to work on Christmas.
  21. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Why should I give a man that makes nearly double my salary and does half the work a present. He should give me one.

EDIT: This reads like I don't like my boss, but we actually get along just fine. I just think that giving your boss a gift is sucking up. When he had his baby I pitched in for a toys r us gift card, but that's a different scenario.