What Did You Learn In 2013

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Dec 24, 2013.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Another year gone by. Everyone is working, even saw trombonists in holiday quartets in hospitals.
    What did you learn this year

I will start off:

Play it simple at first, build context, get playful as nec. doing covers classic to jazz

Winnow it down by listening till all the parts blend, bass is essential and reliable in this process.

Covers are like favorite movies, books, plays. Characters and landmarks must be maintained, unless you're doing something else. Heard killer jazz background version of Fleetwood Mac tune this PM on local Oregon radio.

Bigger ears than fast hands, please.

Personality plays a part in musical situations, not all are friendly, but play well together

You can't always get what you want, but Sex on Fire should be on every dance band's list. Not all the music died in the fires of Disco.

Sorry cabs weigh so much /are big, bass sound comes out of them.

Finally, KIT - Keep It Together!

Happy Holidays my brothers and sisters of them four(+)
  2. bassist11

bassist11

Got a couple coming from a recent college graduate just getting into big boys life.

1) Don't let women get in the way of friends and careers.

2) It's not about who's the smartest or does the job the best, it's who you know and how much they like you.

And an optimistic one, put extra money towards debt or in savings!
  3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Yeah , women, friendships, let them run their course

Money, be smart about it
  4. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I learned that life can really suck. Here's to hoping 2014 is better.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

In bass:

Jumping from 4 to 6 isn't actually that hard.

Tuning down can be awesome.

I CAN write songs!

P bass sounds great in the mix.

How to make a facebook page for a band.

Most of how to lead a band.

I'm sure there's other stuff.
  7. spade2you

spade2you

Don't put an instrumental original band get in the way of friends and family. I got canned the other day and don't really have anything to show for it.

Loyalty to anythnig but family is pointless. Learned that the hard way with a dozen years at my hospital.
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

all i can be certain of is this...

2013 chewed me up, spit me out, relieved itself on me, and then left me penniless on a dirt road. :bawl:

and oh yeah,... LOVE SUX!!!! (i don't care if you agree or not):spit:
  9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

2013 rat on people, be a snitch, it will get you much further than hard work. Be happy with what you have, don't focus on what you don't have.
  10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    Well, 2013 taught me this -

1) Getting burglarized and losing all of your gear sucks.

2) Having State Farm for Homeowners Insurance is completely worthless.

3) There are really, really greedy and extremely self-centered people in this world.

4) I really am looking forward to next year.
  11. SidMau

SidMau

Never assume anything.
  12. stratovani

stratovani

As far as bass goes, I learned that it is wise to keep pedal usage to a bare minimum, and that La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats are THE strings for me.

As far as life goes, I've never been happier or felt more free since I gave up believing in religion and a nonexistent God.
  13. capnjim

capnjim

I learned that wimmen and 5yr old girls are always right and I'm a total moron.
  14. zachoff

zachoff

Being in bands with members who share your goals is paramount.
    SSDs are wicked fast.
    I've gained more of an appreciation for cool, old things over shiny, new things.
    Another year older and heavy music is still where my heart is.
    Having a teenage daughter is difficult.
    PHP is easier to code than C#/.Net
    AngularJS > jQuery for CRUD apps.
    My parents are getting old.
  15. mru2

mru2 Gold Supporting Member

Old band sucks...20 + years. Too much drama, moving on to new things!
  16. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

I learned a lot..I had the opportunity to attend the one week intensive at The Players School of Music with Jeff Berlin..I learned concepts that I will be working on for the rest of my life.
  17. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Epifani
    Got a couple opportunities to play with Col Bruce this past year and he told me "With music you have to expect a life of pain, misery, and conflict!" Couldn't be more true!!!
  18. chris1125

chris1125

Learned (or am trying to learn) to not care as much about what people think about me. Faking who I am has caused a lot of mental problems for me.

Also, it dawned on me that my honeymoon phase with my love for music is long gone, made me really concentrate on what I get out of playing the bass.

I think it will be well into 2014 before I am confidant in the outcome of either realization.
  19. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Confidence = doing what you love & not caring what others' think.
  20. fmoore200

fmoore200

To trust my instincts
  21. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'm not even sure where to start. I just graduated college this month and have already accepted my first real job offer, which will relocate me to an area about 30 minutes south of Atlanta. I've had a few epiphanies since this process started:

- I don't know nearly as much as I once thought I did. I had this same thought right after graduating high school, and it's funny that I'm having it yet again :p

- Despite that, I'm still a pretty smart cookie, and I'm capable of accomplishing almost anything I set my mind to so long as I'm willing to put hard, honest work into it.

- That in mind, life truly is what you make out of it. I have friends from high school who are going places. I have friends from high school who are simply spinning their wheels. And I have friends who haven't gotten anywhere and don't seem likely to do so anytime soon. The biggest differentiator between these groups seems to be the amount of work vs play that they all do. YMMV.

- Life is expensive! I've been fortunate to have a parent who could cover a nice portion of my costs of living. I've also been fortunate to have received a lot of scholarships, which have negated the vast majority of my college expenses. I always knew managing your finances was important; I just didn't know how complicated it could be or how quickly every expense would add up.

- Reflecting on the following things in my list, I now, more than ever, want to go places in life. I want to pursue higher education, and I want to accomplish things much bigger than I ever have previously conceived on doing.

This year (particularly, the last five months) have been a real a formative period of time in my life. They've set me up mentally and physically for the challenges I'll face over the next several years, but it'll be up to be to take the initiative to get myself prepared to go even further than this. To say the least, it's a bit intimidating, but it's also very exciting :)