1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

what differences between Ampeg PF gear and "Pro' line

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pfschim, Nov 28, 2012.

1. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

I am currently using a PF500/115HE rig from time to time and have come to appreciate the tone of this rig. I will say that I am not completely confident in this rig as it has inexplicably failed on me a few times, but I have simply started bringing a TC RH450 to the gigs where I use the PF and have it standing by as a backup if the PF fails.

After checking into the current Ampeg product line, I see that the PF line is quite modestly priced for what it delivers, and that there is a range of "pro" line Ampeg gear too.

Can anyone offer me a view to what I might expect from moving from the PF500 to, say an SVT7PRO, other than the obvious stuff like a tube in the preamp and more total watts ?

Is the sound generally similar, is there a significant quality (construction/components) improvement ?

I see that there is also a Pro line if cabs too, so I would have the same question about the difference between the "std" cabs and the "pro" line.

Thanks
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    7 Pro sounds noticeably better than the the PF500, as it should, but I stick with the PF350 for my lightweight rig needs because I just don't need a 7 Pro. They all have a sound reminiscent of each other (some call it the "Ampeg" sound ;) ), but the 7 Pro sounds bigger to me.

The SVT 3 and 4 Pro are traditionally built hybrids with a big iron power transformer, and while they don't sound identical to either the lightweight designs or the all-tube SVT's, they have a sound that's best described as a cross between all-tube and traditional solid state. They lean more toward the solid state sound, but they do sound quite good to my ears, and some like them better than the micros or the all-tube amps. And of course, there's the tube SVT's...no introduction necessary ;)

The Pro Neo cabs are made in the US and have neo speakers. Have not played them, but the rap I've heard on them is "sounds like Ampeg cabs, but a little tighter and cleaner."