What do/did you put in your Squier Affinity??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gregmon79, Nov 22, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I recently picked up a Squier Affinity P/J bass, the black on black one. I must say, it is a very fine piece of bass :p I have already changed out the strings, bridge, tuners, strap locks, knobs and gave it a good set up. She plays like a dream. I thought the stock pups sounded pretty good, in my room, then I took it to practice and found them to me very boomy and a little muddy at higher volumes. I still think they sound nice but I'm not happy with the way they sound in a live setting at all. Now I know that theres tons of pups out there now a days but what have you put in your Affinity? I want a pup that is a little modern and cutting. Full yet not boomy, crisp yet not thin. I dont want a vintage sound at all. I guess Im trying to replicate the way my Ibbey ATK 300 cuts through, not sure if thats possible but I'd like to try. I was thinking EMG's, the PJX P/J set maybe..... I know, apples to oranges, just looking for some opinions and experience from others, thanks!

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I had Quarter Pounders in my Affinity P. I liked them.

3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I like Nordy pickups. Never owned a set but played and have heard plenty.

SD Also came out with a Steve Harris sig set that's supposed to cut nicely. I don't know much about them but they sound interesting.

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Reading what you want my first thought was a set of official Fender pups. Usually the Squier pups are very different. But you said non vintage sounding and mentioned the Ibby. So I'm going to say either a set of Fenders or EMG will work for you. You Tube. I spent a lot of time (months) on You Tube checking out the sounds of different pups before I settled on DiMarzio Model P and Model J pups. There were other pickups I originally was going to get but after listening to all the samples I found my original choices were the opposite of what I wanted and the DiMarzio's were what I was looking for.

In short, my recommendation is lots of research and start with Fender and EMG pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I would put a Antiquity II PJ set. Whatever you do I believe it's best to put a set rather than two disparate pickups.

7. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I totally agree with you here.

I've tried the fender 60's reissues in my P and they didn't float my boat at all. Not the balls/umfp I was looking for. I am leaning towards EMG's but I'm still worried about cutting through. I have a set in my P and while it sits very well in the mix, that's the thing, it's sits there. It's doesn't come through very well. The demarzios were another one I was considering because I've heard they are a really hot output on some of them and that's what I'm looking for. But otoh, it's a p/j, so the EMG's may cut better with that jazz pup on top of the P pup. Hmmmmmm

8. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Had this same prob with a Squier, changed strings and made it better. It likes brighter strings, much better tone quality not just in terms of clarity either.

9. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I tried to remove the poly shine off the finish and ended up screwing it up.
    Now I have a half sanded-natural and half metallic red PJ bass body sitting in my basement waiting to be rescued...

What a sad story.

10. bmason81

bmason81

I put dimarzio split p with a stellartone tonestyler in my affinity, DR Fatbeams and a setup. It is a tone monster.

11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Make it a happy ending and send the body to me. :D

Back on topic...I've considered swapping out the pickups in my P/J bass, but haven't done it yet. What I have done is listen to some clips posted in threads here of what different pickups sound like. Based upon the samples, I'm most drawn to the Nordstrand P/J set. The Aguilars also sound nice, but the Nordy set seemed to have a fantastic growl to them that won me over.

12. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    There is so many decisions out there for a pickup setup. Now I'm thinking of just changing the pots and cap and putting a preamp in there. Do y'all think that would even be worth it, to add a preamp to the existing pups?

13. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I second the DiMarzio Model P/Model J set. I have it in my main bass and love it. It'll do Motown to Metal, depending on blend, volume output and tone roll-off. I also suggest an Orange drop .047 uF tone cap, but that's me, I like to experiment. The Model P sounds Fender-ish but still gets nasty. And the J is not your typical J bass pick up, it's dual coil and noiseless. The adjustable pole pieces are handy for string to string balance. I like the J soloed with the tone rolled off, but mostly I use the P or both pick ups. My Squier now has the ultimate set up, 2 P bass pick ups, I took the Model P out of it to use in my main bass along with a Model J. Now the Squier will get a Quarter pound P and a Hot P Seymor Duncan set. Have to wait and see how that works.

14. vade700

vade700

have you tried looking at Delano pickups? It sounds exactly like what you are going for... They have em over at bestbassgear.com

15. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I have. The price sort of scared me away. But maybe I'll give them another look. Especially considering the fact that Christmas money will hopefully be coming my way. Thanks for the reminder

16. Andy_D

Andy_D

How about you start the cheap route 1st. 500K changing out the pots to 500K will brighten things up a little and only cost you ~ $15 or so. Pair that with some agressive sounding strings and you might bet close. another option is a passive Tonestyler.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/stellartone-tonestyler-bass.htm

The videos I've seen on eBay look impressive what these can do for a passive device.

Check out what this guy did with a P/J setup. Absolutely incredible if you ask me.

17. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Are all Delano's active?

18. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I think I am going to go with Delano's. I forgot about them because of the price but I want to go all out with this bass. It looks like you have to buy separate pups as they don't make a p/j set right? I think I'm going to go with the fat pole P's but then which jazz pup would be the best in your guys' opinions for what I'm trying to accomplish? The model I mean.

19. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

A little late to the game here, but I'd say take a look at Seymour Duncan actives. They don't get a whole lot of love around here, but I like them and have them in all my basses.

Wait, maybe that should tell me something.... :bag:

20. adagiogray

adagiogray

21. archtop2

archtop2

The P sounded good but mid focused, in quest for more bass I upgraded tonite with a Bill Lawrence USA PB1.

I got what I was waiting for, really more bass, i also feel an overall richer sound.

Play with my band tomorrow, I'll see how it goes in the mix.