1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What do I do? od dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinness20, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

I've been faffing about now for ages on buying an overdrive pedal, mainly because I want to be sure I get the right one for me.

I've been fairly sure that I was going to get a b3k, but then I watched a bass overdrives shootout (thanks eyeballkid, awesome video!) and the b3k didn't stand out for me at all! In fact it was the catalinbread sft that wowed me. So I had a look around and found this vid - - and it sounds incredible; I hear that and black sabbath pop into my head! But have they changed the graphics on the pedal? The newest version's looks are such a turn off, it was a good looking pedal previously! I know it's all about the sound, but to me it's important a pedal looks good.

So I've been searching for a used one, I'm based in the UK - to date the search has been to no avail. So what would you suggest I do? Do I keep looking? Are there any pedals out there that can achieve a similar sound?

Question about the b7k, I think I would cut through with the b3k but it sounds too harsh and thin for me, can I roll that off and get a deeper sound with the b7k?

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

One can get many sounds from the B3K.
    The magic is in the Blend knob in conjunction with the Level knob (which is NOT volume, it controls the level of distortion).

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The B3k/B7k and SFT are worlds apart in what they are going for sonically. If you like the sound of the SFT but dig the functionality of the B7k, then the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe might be in the sweet spot for you. Depends on what you are after in an overdrive. Is it the full, fat, rolled-off-top-end, pushed tube sound, sort of like what you hear in Black Sabbath? Or is it a crisper sound with more hot high end?

The SFT is a great pedal; the newer versions do have different graphics and from what I understand do sound a little different...but still sound great. If you get a newer one and like the sound, you could always rehouse it in a different enclosure. The knob layout is very standard.

In the same vein, you might also check out the Earthquaker Devices Monarch, xotic BB Preamp, and runoffgroove Ginger.

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks for the suggestions. I do realise that they're worlds apart, normally if you asked me I wouldn't say I go for vintage warm od - but then I just love the sound in that vid!

I have looked at the BB (the black one? :ninja:) and I did really like it. Tbh though I get a bit confused with that one, and I wouldn't use it as a pre or as a boost. I've looked at the vintage in the past and it just hasn't done it for me - it didn't come across as particularly special. The sft sounded like it had more clarity to it than the vmt (to my ears at least).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

jumblemind summed it up, the B3K and SFT are worlds apart. I've had two SFT's and I much prefer the sound of the newer one. It's a little fuller and tighter sounding. That being said, I now use the B3K :)

I would like to get another tubey sounding pedal though, and the SFT is on the list as is the Darkglass VMT. Also check out the Catalinbread WIIO, Way Huge Pork Loin, and Fuzzrocious Dark Driving.

7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Yeah I know you can hardly compare the sft and the b3k, suppose the sft's tone was just a bit of a revelation. Maybe I hang fire for the vintage deluxe like jumblemind said. So the newer version of the sft sounds better? That makes it harder - but then I'd have to rehouse it, and I don't have a clue in that department - I'm still a novice bass player.

Maybe I explore the b7k and the xotic bb, and wait and try the vintage deluxe.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Sometimes what you deem an ugly pedal will grow on you fast if you really like the tone. There are a folks on TB that can rehouse pedals for you, too.

"Preamp" in pedal world is just a pedal that has tone shaping abilities. Some of them have the ability to actually drive a power amp, but for the most part the term gets applied to pedals that have input gain and volume controls along with some kind of tone stack; they usually have a baked-in flavor, too. The SFT goes toward an Ampeg sound, the BB (to my ears) goes more toward a Marshall flavor. They can be EQ'd to run as a boost, but lots of folks crank the input gain to get an overdrive sound.

9. Swift713

Swift713

If I lived in the UK the micro red dragon would be at the top of my list.

10. Guinness20

Guinness20

Just had a thought - I'm also looking to get my hands on a diamond bass comp in the next couple of weeks, and a lot of people around here people say od's sound different alongside the diamond. I've heard a lot of people say the b3k sounds great with it, but I've also heard people say that the warm comp with a warm vintage od is too much. Does that change anything?

Also, how does the Fulltone OCD compare to the b3k?

11. Swift713

Swift713

Only you can say what you like or what's "too much". Overdrive is a sort of compression so running od and comp together can be redundant. Many people tend to have one or the other turned off at any given time. However, they can sound great together as well.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I've got both models of SFT, and they sound pretty different. The old one sounds woolly, has no real treble sparkle, but the low mid grunt sounds awesome. The new one has a lot more clarity and deeper lows, but doesn't have that same low mid girth.

I've not had much success in replicating the sounds of that doomy SFT video by the way, and others have said the same. I reckon it must be blended / EQ'ed in the studio, as with the gain up that high the low end kind of disappears and it sounds way mushier than in that video.

And the Diamond comp does roll off a bit of top end, it also has a dip switch inside it to turn on an extra speaker-sim kind of lowpass filter.

13. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I have an older version of the SFT and it gets muddy when you crank the gain. Personally I love that, I use it all the time for big bar chords, it gets HUGE but I would never try and riff with it on, as it really loses clarity. Also, the SFT sounds pretty radically different at 9V and at 18V. It's way clearer at 18, more headroom, etc. I use it at 9, but have tested it at 18 and I think most people would prefer it at 18.

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

So would you suggest I go for the newer sft, especially as I'll be using it with a diamond bass comp?

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Just to let you know, you can most def dial in a warm and dirty tone with the B7K. It probably wont do it as good as the VMT deluxe, but it will do it none the less. Dont beleive it when people tell you the B7K is only a modern sounding machine. It most def can be for sure, but it can do A LOT of other sounds as well. It very versatile and intuitive. I would take the B7K over most anything any day. Im a Darkglass fanboy and I will always be loyal to them, but I feel I speak the truth when I say that the B7K can do so much more than just a modern/edgey dist. So much more.

16. DinnerWithAGypsy

DinnerWithAGypsy Supporting Member

+1

17. VeganThump

VeganThump

Ya think????*

:bag:

*(typo) "fanboi"

:bag: :bag: :bag:

18. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

I've owned both a blue-cased SFT and a white-cased SFT (both with the blue checkered sticker on the front). According to Catalinbread, these pedals are identical internally. However, there's definitely a difference in tone between the two. I asked Catalinbread about the difference, and they said that it was probably due to small variations in the individual components. Both pedals sound great, one's just a little brighter than the other.

My $0.02 is that if you A/B'ed an old SFT and a new one, you'd probably be hearing the difference between the two individual pedals as much as the difference between old and new.