What do I need (equipment)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Blackcatbones, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I looked at the options and it seemed to be a little of each.
    My goal is to be able to play a little from all my influences. Five Finger Death punch, Disturbed, Type o Neg, throw in some blues...
    My tastes are kind of eclectic mix of rock, metal, blues and some techno lol. I would like a bass that can be used to play my full range of interests. Im looking for a deep clear punchy sound. I would also like to add other instrument tracks, drum tracks and mix my own sounds electronically. Then just plug in my bass and jam.
    I have no idea where to start...
    Can I do this with one bass or does a person need different basses for different sounds ?
    What electronic gadgets are used for all the mixing and adding of sounds and other instruments ? Ive head of pedals, mixing boards, mixing software. I read all the different products available and cant figure out whats what... Do they all do the same thing ? Where do I start ?
  2. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Start with a bass and a rig. Go play a bunch of basses and pick the one that feels the most natural to you, then find a rig that suits you. Start there, then you can get into production.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

A lot of people think you need different basses for different genres. I've got my flame retardant suit on, so I'm going to disagree. Deep, clear, and punchy, you say? Fender Precision, or one of its knock-offs. You don't need one of the expensive American ones unless you want one. The lower-priced Fenders are good too. A 5-string might be nice for the heavier stuff.

A lot of TB'ers will also say you need to put flats on a Precision. For the heavier stuff, you'll want roundwounds, IMO. The higher frequencies will help you cut through the mix. For blues, flats are great, but if you choose a warm sounding round wound (nickel wrapped rather than stainless steel; I love DR Sunbeams) you'll have the best of both worlds.

As for an amp: do you plan on playing out and/or jamming with others, or do you just want to record? You'll need some kind of amp for practicing, but a cheap 15-watter will do for that. You'll need more like a minimum of 200w for jamming. Maybe more, since you like the heavy stuff. A combo with a 15" speaker would be a good entry-level amp.

A multi-effects pedal would be good for getting into effects. You may decide to go with single pedals later once you have a better idea of what you like.
  4. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Wow thanks guys! So far this is answering a lot of my questions! I had no idea what a "rig" was so now im looking it up... It looks like the sort of setup ive been trying to figure out.
    I was going to check out some Dr black beauties but I think I will also give the sunbeams a try. I had a fender guitar years ago that I really liked. Im looking at a Peavey grind or an Ibanez GSR 206 will either of these work for deep clear and punchy ? I love the sound of the Peavey but im having a hard time tracking one down im neck of the world. I found a GSR not far from here at a good price but I havent hear any sounds on youtube from it that are really what im into.
  5. wrench45us

wrench45us

I did a lot better when I got a good practice amp. The bass can deliver the tone you want, but if the practice amp is weak, then you never hear it. I tend to practice more when I hear the tone I want. I'd suggest at least 60 watt combo. More expensive than a 15 watt starter, but if you're going to stick with it, well worth it.