What do I need(Or would be nice to have) next? I just have a Amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kuroth, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Kuroth

Kuroth

Ok.. Beginner here..

I have my Bongo and my Fender Rumble 15 Amp... Works fine for in my house lesson and practice..

Plug my Bongo into my Amp and that is all I do..

Looking into the future what are the next things I should learn about and consider someday adding on?

2 Things I have been looking at but not really sure how they all fit together is

1. The MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ w/ 18V power supply
    2. The Samson Technologies Zoom B3 - Guitar Effects and Amplifier Simulator

And how do these work together? I assume they all hook up and work together with my Amp? What plugs into what and in what order etc..

Sorry if my question seems silly but I have never used any of this stuff so just wanting to learn..

Thanks in advance..
  2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

The B3 is a great option for you. It will allow you to experience different effects for cheap. In my opinion, the 10 band EQ won't do much of anything for your amp.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Forget about the EQ. The multi FX unit will at least give you ideas about which effects you like. In my opinion, you should save your money and put it towards a better amp someday.
  4. Tractorr

Tractorr

5. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    +1 to the multi FX. Later on, when you get used to the effects and presets, then you can go hunting for individual stompboxes! :D
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

The sensible and experienced part of me wants to say don't waste your money on needless effects and toys, save up for a decent, powerful amp, as you'll need one when you want to join band and start gigging. Not to mention that you should concentrate on becoming a competent bassist before going down the effects road.

The realist side of me says ignore the naysayers, get some effects and have fun. That's what playing an instrument is all about...fun!

The B3 is a fine choice (and has a built in tuner!) with many effects to explore and play with and it will make your playing even more enjoyable. It also has a flexible eq so I don't think you need the mxr eq just yet - one step at a time. You can put the money saved there towards a new amp!
  7. shackled

shackled

My Rumble 75 isn't a huge step up from the 20 watt Peavey I had before, but it's all I need.
    Focus on that first! :)
  8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

BTW, the B3 also has a built in drum rhythms and a looper which will prove learning tools.
  9. Kuroth

Kuroth

Thanks guys for all the advice.. Yes I meant to say in my post that a better Amp too is on my list.. I think I will save up for a B3 and a bigger Amp as my firsts next purchases...
  10. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Yup, the B3 is the best choice for now. From an EQ perspective, you've got tons of flexibility and power in the Bongo's preamp. You'll appreciate being able to "taste" many different effects with the B3, plus I believe it has a tuner built in, a drum machine, and all sorts of other fun goodies.

Then start saving for a new amp. ;)

Best of luck!

P.S. Don't read anything about fuzz/dirt pedals, or start getting interested in them. Do not. Do NOT! Its just far too dangerous...
  11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

First, a good tuner. Korg PitchBlack is a good option. Then, if you want to learn about fx, go with a multi-fx unit, like the Zoom. Get a bass specific fx unit. After that, and before you start buying individual pedals, get a better bass amp. Your Rumble 15 is fine for the bedroom, but in order to play with others, especially drummers, you'll want a much bigger amp, and speaker cab. In the meantime, learning all the different sounds you can make with the multi-fx pedal, will start you on a path that has no end. It's a whole wild world here in the effects universe. Enjoy the ride.
  12. c2c4c

c2c4c

Hey guys, glad I found this thread because I'm in a similar position as the OP.

I have my 5 string Fender P-Bass and play straight into a Gallien-Krueger MB112. I've got my technique down pretty well and honestly haven't even considered using effects, but I think I'm at a point now where I could benefit from some.

Sounds like a Zoom B3 will be a good start for anyone in our positions without a lot of effects experience and/or money to spend?
  13. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

This is kind of off topic - but when you do upgrade your amp, if the cost of amps precludes you going on a talkbass -like collecting spree, be careful to not get 'just' enough amp. It will only cause you heartache down the road. Get a head with a lot of power and a cab that you can add a second of down the road if it wont keep up with your situation. It's a lot easier to pare a big rig down than to lift a small rig up.

If you have enough experience to know what kind of amp you'll need then get what you need.