1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do Thunderbirds actually sound like??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I've always loved the look of a non-Reverse T-bird (especially in orange) and I've been GAS-ing for quite some time.If I got one I would definitely use flats on it. My question is: what do they actually sound like?? In videos/live demos I've heard, they either have a thick, rich, warm growl or a nasally, honking midrange-heavy tone.
    Which is more charracteristic of a standard, stock, modern Gibson Thunderbird?

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

They sound like pure awesomeness!!! Seriously though, I think alot of the differences you're hearing in the videos is probably due to amp and EQ influence. Mine (with amp set flat and volumes & tone up full) sounds full, fat and warm with a nice clarity to the top end. Kinda like a thick Jazz sound with much added heft.
  3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

I have the Epi Classic, and it can do both, and also a sweet thick almost synthy sounding drone with the neck pup soloed and tone rolled off. I'd say the basic tone (All knobs WFO) is like BassDaddy77 said: A thicker Jazz.
  4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Over the years Gibson has used a number of pickup variations in Thunderbirds, but if you're talking a late '60s NR it's going to to be very growly, the pickups were often overwound and produced a hot signal - Very different from early '60s or any later '70s or Post '88 versions.

In my Sig there are links to my band, I'm playing a Lull with a '63 repro and a '76 with stock Gibson pickups.
  6. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

^^^
    Still the best legs on TB!
  7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Thanks guys, everyone's been very helpful :)!
    Jah Wobble Fan: Obviously ;).
  8. HengistPod

HengistPod

It's not called a Thunderbird for nothing ... personally, I think the look, feel and comfort of it (neck dive = nonsense :) ) encourages a fellow to play it in thunderous fashion, thus unavoidably producing a rolling, meaty sound with sparks on.

Truly a sound to eat raw chillis to.

I can play other basses, I even have some - but I've often been accused of making love to my T-bird (which is a bit worrying, really, har har!).
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Here's mine; 2013, still with stock strings (which are pretty nice, actually), so I guess it qualifies as modern in stock condition. Thru my old Marshall amp, set for flat response, it is most definitely in the "Thick, rich, warm growl" camp. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the tone, after all the "Muddy" comments I've read and heard over the years. Have been playing it for about 2 months, now; very, very nice, but it won't replace my '73 4001 as the Stud Duck in my flock. Not far behind, though.;)

Attached Files:

10. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

I hope to find out soon... just recently bought a late 1980's Gibson V bass, which as I understand it, is basically wired up like a Thunderbird.

Most all of my current basses are active custom builds... so I'm hoping for a more traditional, passive HB sound... meaning - less boing; more boom.
  11. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

would it be possible to get a thunderbird type tone with my g&l L2000, i was trying to get an edwards esp rd style bass, but i'm having some cash issues
  12. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
  13. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Gott im Himmel! Nice T bird George!
  14. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    Full disclosure before this gets out of hand, I was tending to the social media facet of the shop, so I quickly mocked that up in GIMP. I don't own a Ford Thunderbird, and if I did, I wouldn't "Rancherize" it into a chopped pickup. But I appreciate the encouragement!
  15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The confusion comes from the pickups. Just like the Firebird guitar, Gibson equips today's Thunderbird bass with high-wind ceramic magnet pickups, aka hard hitters. Those are pretty thumpy and do the heavy metal thing. I think you generally want to combine them with bright strings.

More vintage style thunderbird pickups show a warm, even sound like you'd expect from a neck-through with mahogany. There is still a lot of growl with vintage style pickups, partially from the mahogany, partially from humbuckers, partially from mixing multiple pickups. Here you use warmer strings to give it some more "mass" than what comes from the thin body.
  16. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Thunderbirds.. well they sound like the Pope fornicating with a Unicorn.. yes sir that's how they sound..
  17. DanGouge

DanGouge

I always kind of liked t-birds, but when I played Mike Lull's take on the 1960s pickups I was wowed. That's my favourite t-bird sound.
  18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

With reference to the 60's T-Birds:
    if played and amplified properly, they can sound like everything from THUNDERous mud to an angry piano.
  19. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

I'm pretty tickled with the sound of my Gibson V bass with the Thunder Pickups. The only other passive bass I currently own is a 1960's Kalamazoo bass, which was essentially Gibson's entry-level EB-0. I love the sound of the old MudBucker in the neck position, but never could get enough brightness from it to suit a wide range of needs. This new/old bass has all that sound available, plus is way more adjustable. I also like that it's very utilitarian... no frills, just sensible.

I'm not sure if it's wired up the same as a Thunderbird though... how are you guys volume/tone pots laid out?
  20. squirefan

squirefan

I have a '76. If I had to sum up the sound, I'd say 'rich'.
    It has the balls of a pbass, clarity of a jazz, and overtones of a ric.
    Not the most comfortable to hold, but the cool factor and tonality negate that fact!