What Do You Consider "Classic Rock"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Apr 1, 2014.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Here's a question for you. Our cover band plays a mix of rock songs from the 70's to now. We do a lot of common bar songs that people know and like, basically the ones everyone here trashes. But it works.

I'm not sure we really ever put ourselves in a category, other than to say we're a loud rock cover band. Last Friday night we played at one of our repeat venues (really great place all the way around), and they advertised us as a "Hot Classic Rock" band. Which got me thinking; is that what we are? What defines Classic Rock? While it is true that a large number of our songs are traditional "Classic Rock" songs, we also have a large number that are not, at least not in my mind. Because when I think of Classic Rock, I think Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nazareth, AC/DC, Tom Petty, etc.. (and these all appear on our setlist), but we also have songs like;

Paralyzer- Finger Eleven
    Gold On The Ceiling- The Black Keys
    Flagpole Sitta- Harvey Danger
    The Middle- Jimmy Eat World
    Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy- Big-N-Rich
    American Ride- Toby Keith
    Hicktown- Jason Aldean
    Let There Be Cowgirls- Chris Cagle
    Man In The Box- Alice In Chains
    Runaway Train- Soul Asylum (also Just Like Anyone)
    Little Miss Can't Be Wrong- Spin Doctors
    Beverly Hills- Weezer (also Hash Pipe)
    Song 2- Blur
    My Own Worst Enemy- Lit
    She Hates Me- Puddle Of Mud

Now, when I look at it and think about it, a lot of these songs are 10-20 years old now, so technically I guess they could be Classic Rock, but how is the genre defined? And is that what we are? A "Classic Rock" band (yes, we do a couple modern country tunes and they are some of our most requested songs)?

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard any of them, so I couldn't begin to categorize...
    (I lie - on reflection, I _have_ heard "Little Miss...")

I agree with your definition of 'Classic Rock' as a genre.
    And generally, IMO, "Oldies" predates 'Classic Rock'.

I donno -- "Yesterday's Top 40?" "Not-Yet Classic Rock?"

Maybe "Hot Classic Rock" is the right designation, although I'd never heard of it before now.

3. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I am an old man but must say that none of the songs you listed would seem to be what I would call classic. I was under the impression the "clasic Rock" period was the late 60's and the 70's.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I'm 45 this year. CR, to me, is Deep Purple, Whitesnake, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Rainbow, Judas Priest...blah blah et al.

Don't see anything on your set list that would make me think Classic Rock, but that doesn't mean there aren't some good bands covered....I'm a massive AIC fan, for example. Massive.

I have to say, if I saw a band advertised as Classic Rock and turned up to hear your set, I'd be disappointed...but maybe it's an age thing?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Yeah...on closer inspection, Weezer, Blur and Puddle Of Mudd 'Classic Rock'? No way.

Just waiting for McMellowinman to chime in ;)

7. apotterdd

apotterdd

Sounds about right though I consider anything 20+ to be classic. Not sure how music experts classify it as it's a matter of what you think the song is. If everyone's enjoying them then they're timeless not classic ;)

Then again I have songs I like to play that are 40+...ancient rock? :D

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

What I consider classic rock is any music generally considered to be rock and roll from the 50's and 60's to 1979. 80's rock music is 80's music. 90's rock music is 90's music. And so on and so forth.

The classic rock station in NYC plays Nirvana and Pearl Jam all day long. I don't consider that classic rock reglardless of how long it's been around.

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

As an old classic dinosaur myself, I tend to agree with this. :(

10. socialleper

socialleper

I'm a little younger than some here (38) and remember a lot of these songs. If I was to be somewhere that was playing some of this I would be much happier than someone playing the same worn out junk from the 70s you always hear. That said, none of it counts as what would fit under the category "classic rock." Most of it is Alternative Rock as it was being played on stations like K-ROQ here in LA back in the 90s.
    I know it seems like there should be a time limit set on something to make it "classic", but that isn't really how it works. The Boomers refuse to go away and hand over the reins when it comes to culture, so they still consider 70s to mid 80s "classic rock." The term Alternative Rock came about to designate a break from that older style, and also to incorporate things that don't fit squarely in the basic rock category.
    Its not a bad play list. Maybe throw some REM, Goo Goo Dolls (you can't go wrong with Iris), Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins in there. Personally I can't stand country.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    While not strictly "classic rock" in my definition, they're songs that crossover to classic rock audiences fairly well. Throw in Kryptonite by Three Doors Down and you'll be fine.

Elton John's Bennie and the Jets was scoring high on Billboards "Black" charts in the 70's, even though it's lumped in with "classic rock" nowadays, and Parliament isn't.

12. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

We actually recently dropped that one, although it was a staple for quite a while. We've also been playing around with "Lightning Crashes", may test it out at our next show.

I agree with a lot of you and your point of view, to me Classic Rock is what it is. I'm mostly looking to see if I'm out of touch and the stuff I think of as Modern and/or Alternative Rock is now considered Classic Rock.

13. Pajama_Bottoms

Pajama_Bottoms

"Classic rock" is just a marketing designation that means "rock music that won't make these specific age groups and demographics change away from our ads". "Fortunate Son", "Stairway to Heaven", and "Moondance" have little in common besides having a backbeat at some point, but you'll hear them both on a "classic rock" station because it meets the above criteria.

14. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I don't consider anything from the 50's Classic Rock, but that's just my opinion. When I think of Classic Rock I think early to mid 60's through the 70's.

16. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

British Invasion to AOR maybe ending around Fleetwood Mac Rumours? I wouldn't include punk in that, even though it fits the time period. It is its own beast. Elvis and the likes are Oldies to me.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob Dylan to hair metal, more or less. ;)

18. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I agree. I guess late 50's Chuck Berry type stuff almost counts, but not so much Big Bopper/Buddy Holly songs.

19. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

Whatever stuff they play endlessly on KQRS up here in MN. Been pretty much the same for 20 years or so.

I'm always surprised people don't get sick of "classic".

20. Ironbar

Ironbar

I'm not sure you truly can define what it is, but when I think of what classic rock is, I think of stuff from the 60's and 70's.

21. GregT

GregT

I consider Rock and Roll to be the 50's style stuff. Johnny B Goode, Rock Around the Clock, That'll Be the Day, etc. Then came what I consider to be Classic Rock. Cream, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Nazareth, etc.

But I also consider Country and Western to be two separate things. Western was the Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers, etc. Country is Brooks, Nelson, Cash, Parton, etc. Then Country Rock.....

Bottom line is there is no absolutely defined line. Classic rock is certainly Rock and Roll so even my opinion is flawed. I sure wouldn't be offended if they billed you as Classic Rock. That's the good stuff.