What do you consider to be low or high tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mordechai, Apr 11, 2014.

1. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

There's a lot of talk about strings that are low or high tension. But specifically what do you consider to be low or high? Is low 34, 38 lbs? I've noticed some strings that are rated at 68 lbs, that'd be high. What about 45 lbs? Is that low, medium, or high? Just wondering what people's opinions and experiences are with this.
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

There are a couple of threads on here. GHS actually posted a chart with their info. I think D'Addario also. 45 to me would be med-high. Everybody has a different feel. Personally I play flats with the light guages because they can be high tension. But the light guages feel about like a 45-105 set of rounds. My flats are 45-95.
  3. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

I've had a set of Fender Nickel Rounds, .40 .60 .80 .100 on my P bass. Then I played a 35" scale bass, not sure of the strings or gauge but they felt higher in tension. The higher tension made a couple of the things I play a lot easier.

So at any rate, I'm probably moving back to flats. I've been trying to find a balanced high or medium tension set.
  4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Check out www.bassstringsonline.com he's a TB'er and pm him and get VIP discount. He has individual strings and can help put together a balanced set for you. He helped me, great guy Jason is. Good luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Rounds:
    40-95 extra light
    45-100 light
    45-105 light top medium bottom
    50-105 medium
    55-110 heavy
    55-115 extra heavy
  7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    It's a feel thing. I don't care about numbers. I'm concerned with how the string plays
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Flexibility vs tension, again...
  9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I mean within the same set you'll get variations
    .045 .065 .085 .105 I find the .065 quite heavy, the .105 and .045 quite medium.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Wouldn't a less flexible string have more tension though?
  11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Hex-cores strings are 'usually' less flexible than round-core strings of the same gauge and mat'l, tuned to the same pitch,
    altho more tension is typically not required to get them to that pitch.
  12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Tension is a function of of scale length, tuning frequency, string mass, and nothing else. Flexibility comes down to how they're wound and core shape.

For example, DR's round core strings are often considered to be some of the most flexible around, but the round core means that their strings very likely have more mass (and thus greater tension) than a hex-cored Rotosound of the same gauge.
  13. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

++; not the first time it's needed to be explained to him :p
  14. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    thank you for posting this.....saved me the time. I find that the vast majority of time people talk about tension on this forum, they are really speaking of flexibilty. I've posted on this many times. We should have a sticky.
  15. JustForSport

JustForSport

or a Wiki...