what do you do about students who do not get the work done from last week?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by thehangingmist, Apr 12, 2014.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

do you make them do it right there during the lesson right now? do you give them something else to work on along with last week's work? which in turn piles up and adds extra pressure on them to finish twice the load of work for the coming week?

I teach almost everyday and most students are very dedicated but its that one or two lessons where someone couldnt get the work done/memorised. and.. what do you do about students who just seem to be lazy and not committed to doing hard work but only dreaming of getting ahead without the toil!?

i know i asked two questions about two slightly different and slightly related questions! but you teach a lot of lessons, it be nice to have your take on it!
  2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

By design, my curriculum will weed out the people who aren't serious and disciplined. And I don't 'dumb it down' for anyone. That's why I needed to have my own place. And that's why I don't advertise.

When someone 'finds' me it's because they're ready to be serious. Or at least, think they're ready.

But even dedicated students can get behind. Or just need a 'light' day. Or a day when don't touch the instrument. A do a lot of 'theory only' lessons. Or we'll just drill on something they're comfortable with.

Every day is different.

peace,
    anthony
  3. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

cool! that makes sense!
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Of course I meant,...

Aren't serious