1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

what do you guys think about this band?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hachi kid, Dec 22, 2012.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

hey everyone. this is a local band that I've been a HUGE fan of for some time now, and it kind of blows my mind that these guys aren't giant. the songwriting is incredible, and the sound is some of the best I've heard in a while. it's a lot more subtle of a sound than most want, but if you can get into the details of it, it's really powerful stuff.

I'm just curious what others think. if you like the album, you can download it for a "name your price" option (you don't have to pay if you don't want to), but you have to do it song by song. once you get it all, though, it's totally worth it!

http://thegrenadines2.bandcamp.com/

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

bump. 90 views and no one has an opinion?

3. chiron_griffin

chiron_griffin

I listened to a few tracks and I kind of really dig this. I noticed some of this was recorded in Athens, GA, are they out of Athens? If so they should really come play Charleston, SC. They'd fit in quite nicely with a few of our local acts. Especially Bones, but I don't know if those guys are still together.

4. hachi kid

hachi kid

download the album, and let it sit on your ipod...you'll find yourself going to it more and more...before you know it, you'll be hooked. they're from Birmingham, AL, though. we've surprisingly got some great bands around here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chiron_griffin

chiron_griffin

Sadly, I don't have an mp3 player, even though my car has a usb port. I could throw it onto my thumb drive, but I'm in my work van (with only am/fm) most of the time. Charleston has some pretty good players, but I don't make it out to as many shows as I did in my high school days. I've been forced to sit through some pretty terrible sets just to see my buddies play. The only guy I know who actively books stuff does mostly metal and hardcore, and at 25 I just can't bear that much anymore. I feel so old to be so young. I'm definitely going to put some cash down on this after the holidays. After listening to the whole album I'm hooked. Charleston is ridiculously vibrant with food, I just wish the music scene would catch up. The hell of living in a tourist destination I guess.

7. hachi kid

hachi kid

I understand that. I'm 24, and sometimes I feel twice that. luckily I've got a good handle on the good bands around here, and I keep getting gladly surprised. luckily, The Grenadines have a new album coming out in the near future. I think on NYE. I was talking to the guitarist at a local bar, and I think I remember him saying that the new album is going to be released on their NYE show.

8. hachi kid

hachi kid

Anyone else taken a listen?

9. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Listening now. What I wouldn't give to play in a band with a female vocalist like this one.

There are two bassists listed in the credits. What's up with that?

10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

At the first fuzzy note, I was prepared to hate it, but I...don't. I like it. In some ways it's not all that different from the trip-hop stuff I do with my current band.

11. hachi kid

hachi kid

Mike: I'm actually trying to put a band together like this. talking to a few different singers. I have a drummer who is in, but the guitarist is still in question, and the singer is still in question. one of them is a former choir nerd.....so that is a HUGE plus! I want to do four part harmonies, and stuff.....so, she will definitely be a huge part of that! as far as the two bassists listed, the album was recorded in different studios at different times. Van was the original bassist, but he's a busy musician and he had to leave the band due to schedule reasons. Jesse stepped in, and he's been the bassist ever since.

scott: that's cool. the record definitely grows on you, right? you have any material of yours online?

12. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Sounds really good. Not my everyday cup o tea, but really good music if I'm in a mellow or laid back mood....

13. Massimo636

Massimo636

Pretty cool band for sure. I think the vocals are excellent. They have that mellow My Bloody Valentine whispery vibe.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    So this is that band you've been telling me about. I dig. Perhaps I should listen to you when you hip me to something Joseph.