1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What do you guys think of Rocksmith?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Jan 23, 2014.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

It's not that I want it,but my friend has been using it as a learning tool for bass guitar.

What do you guys think about it? I feel that these video games are okay for beginners,but obviously there's better ways to start your bass journey. Technology can make you lazy or too comfortable (he doesn't want to learn theory,ear training,scales,or even locking in with a drummer and making his own groove).

2. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Eh..It can make you comfortable holding a guitar/bass and make you learn something to impress a few people. But I wouldn't say it really teaches anything. I wouldn't recommend jamming with people after learning a few songs on Rocksmith lol. The real way to learn is from others and to go out and play with people and suck at it, and keep going back till you don't suck anymore.

3. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Oh yeah...IMO. You have to say that on the internet now.

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I think Rocksmith is better than Scissorssmith, but Papersmith will beat it every time.

Other than that, I have no opinion. Never used it, the name just struck me funny.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I got it for Christmas and I'm actually really enjoying it. True, it doesn't teach you theory or why a song is arranged the way that it is or any of that. But that's not why it exists. I think that it can be a valuable learning tool along with lessons or a good book or some other method of learning the theory along with the practice that you get from the game.

On thing that it does very well is it makes me play more than I did before. I've also realized that I'm a pretty mediocre player and it makes me want to do better. And I have to some extent.

That's my take on it, anyway. It's a good practice tool. Nothing more, nothing less. And I don't see why you can't go jam with others after playing Rocksmith. It's no different from sitting in your bedroom and learning some some other way, then going to play with others. You'll probably still suck at first, but you keep doing it like zeppfan said.

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

That's a good reason within itself.

8. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

Got me playing bass again. That was worth an awful lot to me.

There are always a lot of negative things said by people who have never tried the thing, or are good players and spend 10 minutes with it. Don't listen to them. They are just jealous of us having fun with it. ;)

Seriously though, it shouldn't be your only tool for learning, but it can be a good motivator. Just like devo_stevo said.

And, I did learn a song from it. Stepped up on stage with a never practised together band, did one practise run through at lunchtime of the song and gigged it together that night. It worked.

9. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    ^^Well done. I like it. I agree that there are a lot of people talking trash about it that haven't ever spent much time with it.

It makes practicing and playing on your own way more fun than without it.

10. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I'm glad you're having fun with it! I kind of now see why people are attracted to it.

11. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

That's true! That's exactly how I began getting better :)

It started when a guitar center employee said I sucked,which made me practice more!

If I see him again,I'll play YYZ in front of him.

12. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Sorry if I sounded like a dick! I understand that it's a fun way to start playing and plus,you get that feeling of happiness when you play you're favorite song that's on Rocksmith :p.
    I'm just being closed minded I think
    Thanks for the long reply as well! It's really well thought out and informative lol.

13. jessicabass

jessicabass

My nephew is a guitard. He is in learning phase and after getting it for christmas he has improved dramatically.

14. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

I like it a lot. Did it teach me bass? No, I have been playing for a while.
    Did it teach me guitar? Not really but it has been very helpful in the journey of the six strings.
    Should it be the only means of learning? Not at all. I can play the songs as they happen (on bass) but I cannot for the life of me recall them in any real life situation. I think too much is going on at once for the information to be stored in the long term memory department.

Is it helpful? Yes, it is also pretty fun. Cannot really play with most people like Guitar Hero... but it does make for good fun amongst musicians.

If they would incorporate some sort of notation or tabs section... that would greatly help in internalizing the music. Sometimes we need to see a pattern to remember it. Not just flop around the neck in a crazy discombobulated fashion.

15. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

What a jerk of an employee.....

16. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

That's what I was going to say! Yeah. What a d-bag. That blows my mind. I'm actually a little annoyed now. Lol

17. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Music is about having fun so if it's working for you that's awesome man :).Sooner or later you'll be able to jam with some musicians just keep on believing in yourself :).

Yeah,Rocksmith is fairly new though,so maybe they will add some way to help you memorize the music!

18. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Ahh it's alright :),although I did want to cry that time (I was 13 lol),I used the hate as motivation and It got me far :p

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think these so called games are pretty neat practicing tools. Even for seasoned musicians. I've been playing for 14 years and I went out and bought bandfuse first and then rocksmith. They're pretty cool. I think it's fun to warm up with them or just to throw them on to have some fun. I prefer bandfuse because of the interface and the way the tab is presented. It's certainly not the end all be all of learning the instrument you pick to up lessons. But it's a start and it's fun. Lessons by a trained pro will never beat this game, but it's a good start for some who are curious about picking something up and had trouble doing so before.

20. Batmensch

Batmensch

I've actually played more since I got the game in March of 2012 than I have in the last 30+ years. It is indeed fun.

21. jjbing3

jjbing3

I had both versions and it motivates me to touch my bass everyday. I play the songs and watch the lessons. I study the note names and the theory on my own because the game doesn't really cover composition which is what I want to learn bass for. I want to compose my own tracks not play in a cover band.