1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you guys think

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Manuel101, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Manuel101

Manuel101

Hi fellow bass players. I joined a cover band last october. We rehearse once a week, all members pay for the rehearsal studio equally which is about $20. We now found a new studio to rehearse which comes to about $80 a month but its about 34 miles away from my house which sucks because of the tolls and gas.

Our first show didn't go over so well because our drummer was dragging a bit and underperformed. I myself messed up one of the songs because I started playing in the original key but the singer played it a half step down it took me about a minute to correct that mistake partly because of how low my monitor was.

After that performance we've had 3 more gigs with a new drummer who is much better for which I got payed $125.
    Today we were asked if we would be interested in playing two 4 sets shows for $125 each. I said that i thought the amount was too low for 4 sets. He wrote, "Manny unless you can find high paying gigs for the band or for yourself do me a favor and don't complain about the money. That was also your fault in the first performance."

I told him that comment was unnecessary. I also said that i felt there was no harm in asking to lower our spot to 3 sets or raising the pay. Now I am not saying I am the best ever and should be payed accordingly but hey my time matters. I got two kids (a 3 year old and a 4 month old baby) and being in this band is a sacrifice. I don't need the band I make good money on my day job. Lastly I play with many latin bands and I usually get payed $150 and I only play one set and I dont have to chip to pay for the rehearsal studio (the band owner does).

Was I unreasonable?

Also here is a video of me playing so you get an idea of how i play:
  2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

I'd bag out. But professionally like by text haha. No professionally, I'd call and just say it's not worth the time.
  3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

The line in the link is a little too busy for my tastes, but it's obvious you have chops. This gig sounds like a PITA, so if you don't need the cash, I agree with Phil: Bow out and find something that isn't so stressful.

I generally hate four set shows, but sometimes that don't pay more than the three set ones, unfortunately.
  4. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

$125 a man for 4 hours isn't exactly shabby money for most bands. Around here, unless you're one of the top cover groups that put on a big stage show, you're not getting much more than that. Heck, a lot of times, you're taking less.

Edit: Just realized he's talking 4 sets...not 4 hours.
  5. Manuel101

Manuel101

Thanks for the reply guys, The two shows I was talking about are on March 21 & 28. I don't think they can get a bassist ready by then so I am unsure if I should stick around at least until the shows I don't want them to loose those gigs cause of me.
  6. Manuel101

Manuel101

My point is if we are required to pay for the rehearsals (I am supposed to bring $121 to reserve the studio for a month) why can't I express what I consider a bad deal? So its a team band where we can voice our opinions unless he disagrees with it. For example we were discussing getting a female keyboard play who can sing to expand our sound and music selection and he said lets vote on it. The drummer, the lead guitarist and myself voted yes. Later that day he texted us back and said he doesn't want to go in that direction. Why create this false sense of democracy when our opinions don't matter.
  7. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Well, when you start bringing up stuff like that (your opinion and "votes" being discounted), it's probably time to cut ties. I'd probably tell them you're done after those two gigs. Gives them time to find someone else who might be a better fit.
  8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, overall, it doesn't sound like a bad gig. The only thing that I wouldn't like would be the rehearsal cost. I've always hated paying for rehearsal space, so I took the time to convert my basement for our band to rehearse (and I have an understanding wife who is okay with it). It's not huge, but it's clean, heated, and free.

All in all, $125 isn't too bad. If you like the music, like the band (for the most part, every band has some issue of some type), and you can get regular gigs, I'd probably stay. But if in your mind the aggravation outweighs the benefits, don't stick around.

For myself, the cost of rehearsal is kind of a deal breaker, though.
  9. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Your kids will be out of high school before you know it. It doesn't seem that way now, but it will in 15-20 years. You don't need the money, aggravation, etc. Sometimes the total cost of "having fun" just isn't worth it.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why is the band moving to a new rehearsal studio? It seems like it's not really a good deal for you, but is the rest of the band closer to it?

People mess up in live performance, it's part of the territory. You just move on from it. Don't dwell on it and point fingers.

As for pay, I think your BL has the right idea. Unless you're bringing in the gigs you can't really complain. $125 for a night of work is about the going rate around here.
  11. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

The money isn't all that horrible, at least for my locality.

That being said, you seem to be unhappy on several different levels about several issues. As you do seem to be not desperate for money, and you have other opportunities to play bass with other musicians for pay, I would seriously consider leaving.

Good Luck!
  12. Lobomov

Lobomov

When you have small kids, music should be fun. It is stressful enough managing a job and family at the same time.
  13. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

This will sound terse or aggressive, which I don't intend. I've played in plenty of less than ideal situations, so I get the bit about feeling unhappy with a band's management choices.

For me, it helped a lot when I realized that real boats rock, bands are rockier boats than most businesses, and that if I wanted anything done, I'd have to find a solution, get buy-in, and work toward it.

So what is it you want from the band, what achievable steps are in the band's control, and what would it take from you to make those steps happen?

For example, if you want money, don't bring in a keyboard player and thin out the splits. Or, add the players (and singers) you need to compete for better paying events. Approach a booking agency, and prepare to make the kind of investment and commitment that comes with driving a steady-working event band. Or stay small, but find a rehearsal situation that doesn't cost as much, work on promo and networking, and (yes) help hustle better club/bar gigs.

If you want to have a democracy instead of a BL, split up the work and insist on everyone having equal say (even though in practice this can be a bad idea).

If you want to express disagreement, you can. If you want your every expressed opinion and complaint to be acted on (even when your desires are self-contradictory, and without you working toward the solutions), that's usually a hard deal to get. If you figure out how, please LMK.
  14. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

agreed. there are no pay issues or performance issues here. there are personal issues. you do not want to be in this band or you would jump for this gig. you don't need an extrinsic reason; just quit.

i agree that it would be cool of you to play the next 2 gigs; let the band know they are the last ones.

and if they ask for a reason, just say you need more family time. it's true, right?
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Life is to short - if its fun and or pays well - great, but personally I wouldn't waste time with anything that you think is a PITA.
  16. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 If this is a hobby band you don't need to be traveling that much too many crazies on the road and your family needs you more than the band.
  17. briskmojo

briskmojo

If you have to come to the internet and ask this then you probably already know the answer. It sounds like they need you more than you need them, if you can't negotiate terms that are satisfactory to you then drop them.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Well, like derrico said, you need to define why you're in this band in the first place and what you want out of it. Frankly $125/member for a cover band sounds like perfectly normal money to me unless you're playing really high-end places, normally not the case for a new band.

That it's four hours wouldn't make any difference as far as I'm concerned; I like to say that I play for free - I just don't rehearse or haul gear for free. Once I've done the grunt work of rehearsing, and the gear's been hauled, then I'll play all night, I don't care. Just one hour would seem anticlimactic after all that.

Bottom line; $125/man for a 4-hour cover band gig is perfectly normal. If it's not worth it to YOU, it's not worth it to you. But I wouldn't expect pay or gig expectations to change all that much in this group.
  19. Manuel101

Manuel101

Thanks for the reply, honestly maybe I was spoiled by the merengue gigs. I only play 40 minutes tops and i get payed between $150 to $200. Its just that $125 for 4 sets seems really low to me.
  20. Manuel101

Manuel101

And driving 60 miles on rehearsal days, plus paying for rehearsals just seems like too much for me right now.