1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you know about the very rare VELVET HAMMER P-Bass Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by squarewave, Jan 26, 2009.

1. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

I got this set from Juan Alderete of The Mars Volta in a trade deal for a '62 Fender PU. He had them in a '62 P-Bass, but I haven't installed them yet. If anyone has information on these, I'd really like to learn more about them.

They were made by Red Rhodes. This is the only Velvet Hammer P-bass set I've seen. I've found only limited info online on the six-string guitar pickups, which appear to be highly coveted, and considerably more common than the P-Bass set.

I just listed this set in the Classifieds, by the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow Supporting Member

Delano makes a similar P, mainly with the individual MM-style poles for each string instead of two smaller poles. Does this mean it would have a sound sharing some tonalities with a MM as far as response and aperture? Anyone ELSE?
  3. 62bass

62bass

Instal them and let us know how they sound. They're so rare that it's unlikely anyone here has used them. They might be good, they might be bad, they might be average.
  4. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

I imagine they might sound a little more like the original single coil Precision pickup.

Red Rhodes' work is legendary. Give them a try, if only to tell us what they're like :D
  5. Surprise Panda!

Surprise Panda!

Ah man the Velvet Hammer's sold :(. Whoever had them, post clips!!!

I wish Juan would go on more often!!!! Then we could have an Ask Juan Alderete section!!!!

:bag:
  6. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

If I recollect correctly, 'way back at the beginning there were DiMarzios & also Velvet Hammer replacement pickups - and that was it. I'm talking about the mid 70's here - anyone go back further than that?

I remember seeing them when I was putting an original set of DiMarzio Super Distortions on my LP - the VHs were even heavier then the DMs - if I recollect, I would have needed to route extra depth on the LP - no go for me.
  7. 62bass

62bass

I go back further I'm sure. Before I ever heard of Dimarzio I saw the High A pickups. They were the first replacement pickups for a P bass that I saw. I don't know if they predate Dimarzio though. I remember Attila Balough, who later started Odyssey Guitars, was using High A in some early kit basses, Fender clones, that he made and sold in Vancouver. The High As were, from what I remember, the first replacements that were widely available. Someone else said that Star's Guitars sold replacement pickups.

Never heard of Velvet Hammer at all. Only a few country guys knew of Red Rhodes.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I remember High A's, Dimarzio's, and to a lesser degree Velvet Hammer pickups being advertised as the first guys in replacement pick ups.

Seemed like Red Rhodes was reasonably well known but did not have either the manufacturing or distribution.

Guess this applied to Lane Poor as well.
  9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

i now have this set of pickups. i will post clips once i install them in a bass.
  10. 62bass

62bass

Looking forward to hearing it.
  11. WildBill987

WildBill987

i have a 69 Precision with a Velvet Hammer pup from bout 1976. i installed it and never looked back. It is punchy yet sweet and pushes thru our 6 piece mix w. 2 keyboards just fine. I still have the OEM pup also. The Hammer is almost as hot as my 76 Jazz with a 76 Schecter tapped sound pup in the neck position. I just put together a Warmoth Pbass with a Seymour Duncan SPB2, and it doesn't come close to either Fender, altho the Warmoth is pretty slinky to play. None of this stuff is for sale.
  12. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

I don't know anything about this pickup, but I love the name!
  13. Achille

Achille

I just bought a pbass set on ebay from a guy called Scott. it seems he found a new "old stock' given to him personally by the widow of Red Rodhes....check it out he has few others also for strats...