What do you like

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Treyzer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Treyzer

Treyzer

Aloha Bottom dwellers,

I've been using a great Walter Woods for many years but I'm thinking of getting a good back-up for the eventual retirement of my trusty WW. What do you guys thing would be a good back-up/replacement? All opinions are cool and valid.

Cheers

Trey
  2. kscbass

kscbass Supporting Member

I never had the opportunity of trying a WW but I really like the Euphonic Audio stuff.
    I've owned and played through GK, Ampeg, Eden, Phil Jones (this is my 2nd choice).
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I used an old WW 2 channel for years, mainly as a power amp towards the end. I suggest you try an EA micro or doubler. I like mine. A head from AI is also worth a look (may be closer to the sound of the WW?).

There's a lot of new, small, and powerful stuff out there. I'm sure most of us haven't tried most of it.
  4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I've been quite happy with the EA Doubler as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

The new 2 channel AI Clarus head with the Flex pre seems like a safe bet. It's a bit spendy at just under a grand, but AI customer service is second to none and that initial investment should keep you happy for a very long time.
  7. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

I've had really good luck with the Phil Jones D-200. The EQ section is excellent, it's quiet, light, and dependable. It also has a 4 megohm input impedance, which I believe gives it a more pleasing sound with many piezo pickups. I've used it with good results with Fishman Full Circle, and Upton 'The Source' pickups.
  8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    If you don't need a lot of power, an older Clarus might do. They are cheap enough. I've not tried a WW but Rick told he would service my amp when needed so what's the point of chasing
    Walter? The Clarus is the most perfectly transparent micro amp I've used. The new one looks like a winner if you have the cash.
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've heard AI described as "a WW made from stock parts"....
  10. ctxbass

ctxbass

I've been happy with the EA Doubler. I spent hours comparing it with an AI Clarus, and while the sounds of both amps are similar in accuracy, there was a dimension to the sound of the Doubler that was not present with the Clarus. It sounded more natural to my ear, but "natural" to me might be "coloration" to someone else.
  11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Rick told me he bought a WW and began designing an amp that sounded as natural and transparent for DB. The fact that he answers the phone and services his amps at no charge tips the scale in his favor, IMO.
  12. Treyzer

Treyzer

Thanks guys so much for your input and thoughts as well as funnies. This is one of the things I do love about TBDB. So far, it seems like there are 2 amps; the AI and the EA products, that might fit the bill. I have a question regarding the power ratings of the EA gear. Seems like a few people have stated that it seems underpowered or maybe over rated. Anybody care to opine?
  13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Greg, I can't speak to that. I have only called Walter twice, once to order an amp and then returned a call that he had made to me, saying that someone had upgraded their order to a Hi Power and that if I sent him a money order that day, I could get the completed LoPower that they ordered and upgraded from. But both times he answered the phone within a a few rings.
  14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I've owned both and I don't think you really could go wrong with either. Currently, I only use older AI gear. I don't think you can go wrong with either - just pick the one that gives you the bells and whistles (and power rating) you need.
  15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

PS Trey, the Doubler/Arno4x5 combo pretty much knocks me out every time I use it with DB. Clear, clean, fat, punchy, and rich!
  16. Don Sibley

Don Sibley Supporting Member

I have owned or auditioned the EA doubler and Pro1200 amps, a Tecamp Puma 900, and I own the new Clarus+. I felt limited by the three band EQ in the EA and older AI gear. The Tecamp is super powerful, has a great EQ and works great for doubling with EBG. I settled on the AI Clarus+ as a result of the plethora of features, highly effective EQ, and a clarity and transparency to the sound that I did not hear with other amps.
  17. Treyzer

Treyzer

This is great and kind of funny. It shows that we all hear stuff a bit differently and probably favor amps based on intangible things. When it comes down to it, I guess I'm just going to have to check out/audition some of this stuff. Luckily, my trusty Walter Woods is still going strong. Hopefully it will stay that way awhile longer.

Mahalo (thanks) plenty!

Trey