1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you listen to on the way to a gig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

For me lately an odd pairing the pretenders and Radiohead
  2. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Sorry mods, if you could put this in a different category…
  3. lexington125

lexington125

Howard Tate (if you don't know who that is, and you appreciate the best of 60's hard soul, check him out; start w/ "8 days on the road")
  4. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to know the sound guy at a venue my old cover band used to play quite often. They had a really nice foh and he would record us off of the board then burn it to a cd. The recordings came out great and I've used them successfully on two occasions as a kind of resume. I mostly listen to CDs of my old band. Always gets me pumped. I also have a studio version of an original band I was in prior to that. Or tool or APC.
  5. kevteop

kevteop

Either old ska/rocksteady, or British post-punk stuff, or early '90s hip-hop. Oh and The Skints.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Someone's jaws are usually moving but I listen to the wind coming in the window :D
  7. Sartori

Sartori

Whatever's in the CD player on the way to, and often LOTR/The Hobbit soundtracks on the way back.
  8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Whatever the driver decides, they are doing me a favour driving me there.
  9. Humbled

Humbled

mp3s freshly downloaded to my iPhone of songs I've never heard before that I'm expected to know how to play when I get there.
  10. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Talk Radio..
  11. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

"Modern classical music" if that makes any sense at all. Normally the Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, and John Williams of the world. Ironically i play in a heavy rock band. Think early staind/taproot kinda vibe. I tend not to listen to rock or metal on the way to a show because i know I'm going to hear it for 4 or 5 hours at the club.
  12. zachoff

zachoff

Somtimes Kyuss or High on Fire. Sometimes Cash or Zevon. Sometimes Nirvana or Mudhoney. Sometimes Neil Young or Grateful Dead. Depends, I guess.
  13. oboylebass

oboylebass

Yup, I'm with you on this. It's either silence, talk radio or songs that I have to play that night!
  14. marko138

marko138

Howard Stern.
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Rachel Madow and/or a CD of the show I am about to play.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Preferably nothing.
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Talk radio. If music, anything not related to what I'm going to play, to remain fresh.
  18. beyondthe48

beyondthe48

there's only 1 pre-gig song - The Final Countdown - Europe

duh.
  19. alembicTO

alembicTO A mediocre man, but the last guy was a crook..... Supporting Member

Sirius/XM Hair Nation, or Ozzys Boneyard; brings me back to my roots, and gets the adrenalin pumping for the upcoming gig......
  20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Usually warming up vocals/harmonies to the set list on the old iPod Classic. Then either Sirius/XM JamOn or Talk/News Radio.