1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

What do you listen to on the way to a gig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    For me lately an odd pairing the pretenders and Radiohead

2. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Sorry mods, if you could put this in a different category…

3. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    Disclosures:
    it's funky this, and funky funky that, if you ain't funky, y'all, you ain't where it's at
    Howard Tate (if you don't know who that is, and you appreciate the best of 60's hard soul, check him out; start w/ "8 days on the road")

4. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was fortunate enough to know the sound guy at a venue my old cover band used to play quite often. They had a really nice foh and he would record us off of the board then burn it to a cd. The recordings came out great and I've used them successfully on two occasions as a kind of resume. I mostly listen to CDs of my old band. Always gets me pumped. I also have a studio version of an original band I was in prior to that. Or tool or APC.

5. Sponsored by:

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Either old ska/rocksteady, or British post-punk stuff, or early '90s hip-hop. Oh and The Skints.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Someone's jaws are usually moving but I listen to the wind coming in the window :D

8. Whatever's in the CD player on the way to, and often LOTR/The Hobbit soundtracks on the way back.

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Whatever the driver decides, they are doing me a favour driving me there.

10. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2013
    East of the Sun
    mp3s freshly downloaded to my iPhone of songs I've never heard before that I'm expected to know how to play when I get there.

11. "Modern classical music" if that makes any sense at all. Normally the Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, and John Williams of the world. Ironically i play in a heavy rock band. Think early staind/taproot kinda vibe. I tend not to listen to rock or metal on the way to a show because i know I'm going to hear it for 4 or 5 hours at the club.

12. Somtimes Kyuss or High on Fire. Sometimes Cash or Zevon. Sometimes Nirvana or Mudhoney. Sometimes Neil Young or Grateful Dead. Depends, I guess.

13. oboylebass

oboylebass

Oct 31, 2006
    AMERICA
    Yup, I'm with you on this. It's either silence, talk radio or songs that I have to play that night!

14. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Disclosures:
    Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Rachel Madow and/or a CD of the show I am about to play.

16. Preferably nothing.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Talk radio. If music, anything not related to what I'm going to play, to remain fresh.

18. beyondthe48

beyondthe48

Apr 29, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    there's only 1 pre-gig song - The Final Countdown - Europe

duh.

19. alembicTO

alembicTO A mediocre man, but the last guy was a crook..... Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Sirius/XM Hair Nation, or Ozzys Boneyard; brings me back to my roots, and gets the adrenalin pumping for the upcoming gig......

20. G On Bass

G On Bass Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Ventura County, CA
    Usually warming up vocals/harmonies to the set list on the old iPod Classic. Then either Sirius/XM JamOn or Talk/News Radio.