What do you practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 88bass, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 88bass

88bass

I've been playing bass for a while now, but I no longer improve in my playing. Are there any suggestions for items to practice, different techniques and anything to help me advance my playing skills? Any suggestions would be helpful.
  2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I'm of the view that if you're not advancing in your playing, then it's really time to make a few calls and play with some other people.

In the past, I've felt the same way and it's led me to be uninspired and fall into a musical rut. The best thing I did in those situations was to go out and play with some friends. No pressure, no agenda, just have some fun and try out a few ideas. It doesn't matter if you're playing a few covers or jamming out original material but it will galvanise you - especially if you're a little uncomfortable with the musical situation!
  3. 88bass

88bass

That's an excellent idea! I never thought of that, but you are probably right. Thanks for the advice.
  4. ghostfather

ghostfather

I concur, playing with other people is the best way to improve.
    Also, playing along to songs in other genres than you are used to can really stretch you musically.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Ditto to that
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

I read all the music I can get my hands on. The harder it is to play, the better. I also agree with the others about playing with different people. I always try to surround myself with musicians who are as good or better than me. That way we learn together, or I learn from them.
  7. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Some jazz study (reading), contemporary pop (Daft Punk, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga), disco, and old classic rock.
  8. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

+1
  9. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I'm in the same rut So I'll go on YouTube now and then and try to replicate some stuff I see there as a way of stretching a bit.
  10. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

This is my latest conquest. I practice this everyday. I am almost as prolific at this as the guy in the vid.
  11. Stormchaser

Stormchaser

Cool rock star faces and wild gyrating.
  12. ZenG

ZenG

I practise anything and everything...

Even songs I don't like..

As soon as I happen to hum a song in my head...or even think of a particular song accidentally it gets a workover in my next practise session.

Sometimes I go on YouTube and pick videos and try to play along with them.....I don't worry about every little nuance a lot of times..I'm just trying to figure out roots and structures......

Last night I YouTubed Muddy Waters and spent about an hour jamming with him on blues tunes......

Then YT'd the BeachBoys and sessioned on their "Surfin' USA"live" vid.

Had a blast......:):bassist: