1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What do you set your Ampeg V4 on?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 26, 2012.

1. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

So I got one last week (GREAT amp BTW). But here's the thing. I have a personal hang up that I just can't work around. All the cabs that I currently own are narrower than the V4. I just can't deal with it. I tried. Being that the thing is a full 26 1/2" wide, what can I get to set the thing on that isn't a fridge (8-10)? Even a lot of 4-10 cabs I check the specs on aren't that wide. Budget is only a mild concern for me since I really like the amp. If I had decided to just play the thing at home I wouldn't have worried about it.

So let's have it. What do you set your V4 on? Pics would be awesome but most important is what SOUNDS good. Oddly enough, the grill matching and whatnot isn't as important to me as the rig not looking like a "T" with the head hanging off the sides. Oh, and I would really like to try something with 10" speakers again since I have been in a long 15" phase and have TONS of those around. You could probably talk me into a nice 12" speakers cab as well. Help!

You guys have been a huge help to me since I got this thing. Thank you! I am REALLY digging it. It will probably get a lot more gig time than I thought when I bought it.

2. Tuned

Tuned

A Traynor TC410 (or TC410 Neo) is 28" tall, put it on its side? They're a nice 4x10 too, you can dime that V4 wide open without fear.

3. Edword

Edword

Traynor "Big B" 8x10

[​IMG]

4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Yeah, I've used several heads that hung off the sides of my 1x15 cabs; not a big deal. I know what you mean though, it just looks funky... those V-4 heads are great btw...

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

a fEARful 15/6 tube would be wide enough.

8. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Love those Big B cabinets. You can also keep an eye open for a V4B 215 cabinet ( there's one for sale locally here) or flip tops builds V4 width cabinets.

9. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

[​IMG]

The original V4B cab, or on a B25B cab.

Chris

10. jpc

jpc

I kinda have the same problem. I'm using an Acoustic 406 and the V4b it's wider than the cab. But for me it doesn't matter that much. I seldom can bring my cab and have to use whatever is at the venue. Let them laugh at how funny it looks first, then drown them in the amp's great sound :D It's all about understatement.

11. corinpills

corinpills

I'd imagine this was super helpful to the OP.

12. birdman14

birdman14

You can always do what johnk_10 did, and buy an empty V4 guitar cab and put Eminence Deltalite 2512s in it. It is a 4x12, but if it's good enough for john, I would think it would be good enough to use to. This is John's picture, btw
    [​IMG]

13. stiles72

stiles72

If you are shopping for cabs, also check the height. I've seen some V4B guys lay cabs on their side so the head doesn't overhang the ends. You could always rotate the logo on the cab or throw an extra set of casters/rubber feet on the side that you will be laying down to protect the tolex.

Another option would be to get a pair of matching cabs (1x15's, 410's, etc...) and set them side by side:
    [​IMG]

14. flygirafda3

flygirafda3

I do this whenever I use my Avatar, even when I don't use the V4. I like having the cab directly on the floor so it can't get rolled around. I also play rowdy basement shows so yeah.

15. nouroog

nouroog Supporting Member

16. astack

astack Supporting Member

There's a TBer with an 1x18-turned-1x15 that is a nice fit with the cab on it's side.

I don't mind the T, or put the head on it's side.

Edit: Wow phone app went nuts... Nevermind the 30 duplicates.

Attached Files:

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I used either a B40 4x10 or a flatback 8x10 for the same reason. Didn't like the overhang on my other cabs. Even the flatback 8x10 was like 1/2" short for the V4. They're really wide heads. They would definitely fit on a B25B cab, those are about as wide as they come.

18. ddbassGA

ddbassGA

This ^. The V4, V4B, B25 and early SVT cabs are some of the few wide enought.

I have a V4 on a V4 cab w/ 4-12s. I currently have 4 guitar speakers in mine for times when I just gotta pretend Plexi (only better). I'm temped to do the JohnK thing with 4 2512s, but trying to find a second V4 cab for that.

I have 2 70's black Thiele B-15n cabs I'm loading with JBL K-140s I'm also planning to use with the V4. The head hangs over when the cabs are vertical, but close to flush when the cabs are stacked on their sides.

19. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Cool! Very helpful. Anyone have any experience with micing a b25 cab? There's one for sale near here. Of course, the V4 Club thread just had a discussion about running from the Amp Ext. jack into a DI and whatnot.

20. anderbass

anderbass

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Is the b25 a horn cab? If so, try placing the mic within an inch or 2 of the horn mouth. Try just inside, even, and just outside. Experiment with placement between center and edge.

If it's a direct radiator, mic it like any other. On center is all the mids/treble and gets bassier closer to the edge.