What do you think about fender made in mexico P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danielguerra, Jun 22, 2005.

1. danielguerra

danielguerra

i have one and i thionk it sound good, but should i change the pickups for some americans?
  2. OrderingEntropy

OrderingEntropy

yup i own one. 9 months and its falling apart. my suggestion: sell it, buy something else...
  3. toad

toad

Personally, I think Mexican Fenders are very good instruments. I wouldn't see the need for a new pickup unless there was something really specific you are looking for. The only thing I would ask is if you think they sound good, what gave you the idea that the pickups need to be replaced?

I can't imagine what one does to a Fender Precision that it would fall apart in 9 months other than ...

[​IMG]
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

yeah they are good instruments,men everything that means Fender is a god one....welove Fenders :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pyrohr

pyrohr

I own two MIM basses, 1 has Lindy Fralin pups in it and the other has 1/4 pounders in it. Both in mint condition and pictured here. The white one and the blue one.
    [​IMG]
  7. OrderingEntropy

OrderingEntropy

well i certainly dont treat it like thaat. which is why i expected it to stay together much better. its not "falling apart" but its sure not holding up like i expected. the frets are starting to come loose, and the neck is warped. (wasn't that way when i bought it, and i sure didnt do anything that would cause that)
  8. toad

toad

Just joking, my man. Sorry to hear about the neck issues. I've had an MIM jazz and an MIM precision for years and they seem pretty solid.
  9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

My moto is if it aint broke...don't fix it. That said, if you ever do decide to upgrade your pickups I would second the suggestion for the seymour duncan basslines (spb 3's I think is the model). Anyhow they sound really hot.
  10. 4string4ever

4string4ever

The one I owned sounded like ass......... :spit:
  11. toad

toad

Well, mine too; like good ass--nice tight, round bottom.
  12. 4string4ever

4string4ever

mine was of the ass variety of saggy, lumpy, and flat.......
  13. toad

toad

:D
  14. Dub56

Dub56

I played one a couple days ago and it sounded pretty good, I was thinking of picking one up sometime
  15. paz

paz Banned

thats the funniest thing i've heard all day
  16. BeaverBass94

BeaverBass94

I have a MIM P bass in Lake Placid Blue with a maple neck.
    It is great to play!
    Some MIM have problems like bad necks or pickups, so play it first if you can.
    Mine personally has a great neck thankfully and stays in tune well. The only problem is the pickups are a bit muddy for me so I ordered some SPB-3's yesterday!
    Also the bridge rattles when playing the D-String so I've also ordered a Gotoh 201 for it which is well made and add sustains. I love my bass and when the pickups and bridge comes it's going to be gorgeous!!
    I'm making mine just as good as an american one without spending ridiculous money! Go for it!
  17. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

All Fenders are mass production instruments, so you really have to play before you buy.

That said, I've read (mostly here on TB) that folks have had mixed experience with the MIM Fenders. I, for one, wouldn't buy one on principle - but that doesn't mean they are "bad".

I'd suggest you save your money and buy a real MIA Fender used.
  18. DRafalske

DRafalske

The MIMs don't seem to have the same quality control as the American STDs. They can be great though. For sure a "play before you pay" kind of deal. I have one and it's great. It was fine stock, but I tried out Quarter POunders in it and like them.
    It comes to every gig with me... generally tuned in Eb for the 80's rock we do.

D
  19. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire Supporting Member

I have one, bought it on this site. It works fine, I put some Nordstrand NJSE's in it and it sounds good. I like the neck so much better than a MIA Deluxe J I had, I sold the dlx. YMMV.

Attached Files:

20. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

I have had a MIM P-Bass special (P/J p'ups) for 6 years.
    I have not had one problem with it. Very good quality.
    As was mentioned, they are mass produced in Ensenada.
    Maybe the guy who assembled yours had a Margarita hang-over that day.
  21. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    My business is buying and selling used Fender basses. I have probably owned 75 or more MIM Fenders and 30 or more MIAs. All of the MIMs were well made and played and sounded good "considering their price range". I don't expect the MIMs to be equal to instrument that cost 2-3 times more. I have never known one to "fall apart" but I have seen many that were horribly abused by the previous owner.
    Rocky