1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you think about Fender made in Mexico..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stretberas, Sep 3, 2012.

1. stretberas

stretberas

Hi all ..
    I just want to hear the opinions of you all about fender (jazz / precision model) made ​​in mexico ...
    I often find in some forums that say that the quality of the fender mexico less good, and a lot of that compares with the Squier, even some of them say if Squier better, and if terms of the price was pretty much adrift ..
    And in my experience, mexico fender made ​​better in terms of sound, playbility, finishing than Squier ..
    or perhaps because Squier is cheaper than the Fender mexico so many people love it... =P
    So..I just wanted to know the opinion of you guys about Fender MIM (jazz / precision model)..
    Thank you ..
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:
  2. Catbuster

Catbuster

They're a player's bass. No frills, just a solid, good playing instrument. I rock the crap out of one. They just work the way a bass should work, IMO.

Better than ANY Squier, IMO
  3. stretberas

stretberas

agree with you..
  4. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

I have a fender MIM p bass special and anyone who plays it doesn't believe it's MIM.
  5. maturanesa

maturanesa

I dont know the new fender mexico, but i owned a 2000 fender jazz bass mim and its not better than a SX classic series... Just not a real fender imo
  6. Jaco D

Jaco D

I think it depends on when the MIM was made. Late 90s/early 00s had their fair share of issue. MIMs have improved in quality and workmanship as of late. Heck, I have a 2006 (I think) fretless strung with flats that plays well.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... this is where I again toss out the obligatory ... there are MANY models of both Fender P and J's made in Mexico ... do you have a specific model in mind?

... not to be rude, but if this is a thread to compare MIM Standards to Squier basses, there are many, many threads where this is hashed and re-hashed ... it seems that you already have your opinion based on your experience ... what else matters?

... again, not to be condescending, its just that this comparison brings out all kinds of general 'blanket type' statements that very often are unsubstantiated, and can be very misleading ... JMHO
  8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

i have an MIM P bass and Tele; both are really nice instruments. The tele even more so, as it's a custom shop. they're especially competitive with their more expensive counterparts in the feel/playability and QC department; when it comes to stuff like p'ups, electronics, tuners etc. the higher end stuff tends to be of a generally higher quality. That said, the MIM stuff is very serviceable, never had a problem with any of it
  9. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

I have an early 90's MIM Fender Precision. I honestly can't think of one thing I don't like about it. Well, it wasn't free. :D Great tone, comfortable neck, plenty of volume from the pickups, the tone and volume controls fade in a very controlled way, and the entire instrument is very resonant with good sustain.
  10. RH434

RH434

I've owned both a very nicely made Squire and a decent MIM. I gave the Squire away to a new player and upgraded the MIM with shielding, new electronics, SD Quarter-Pounder pickups. It's now my go-to gig bass.

Either one was a nice bass, for the price. Sometimes you get a really nicely put together budget bass, like my Squire was or sometimes you get an OK mid-range bass like the MIM and have to put some work into it. The situation could have easily been reversed.

Either way, each and every production bass is unique and you can't compare across the board. My advice is to not buy either without playing them or possibly even having them set up correctly first. There's too much variability in the Quality Control to leave it to chance in this price range. IMO, even the lower priced MIA's fall into this category.

Now, you invest $1000+ in a bass and you can start to have some expectation about QC and across-the-board consistency.
  11. awakefie

awakefie Supporting Member

I just traded a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz (Indonesia) for a 94 Fender MIM Squier Series Precision. Overall I like the feel, setup, and tone better. This, however, might be due to the fact that I generally like the P tone better.

The neck on MIM just feels right. The action is low (which I like) but it does not buzz. The fretwork is much better than my old VM.

The VM was not a bad bass, this one just suits me better. I would definitely get another. Check in with me however in 6 months, when the honeymoon is over. :p
  12. stretberas

stretberas

Sorry not my intention to compare the Squier vs fender mexico, but it's just as an example, because in this forum I often read threads comparing the Squier vs fender mexico ..

What I want to emphasize here is what do you think about the fender mexico? as the title of the thread that I wrote above ... Not opinion on the fender vs Squier,
    I hope you understand my friend....
  13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

My MIM is a good solid bass. If was my main gigging bass until I bought my second MIJ. You can read about it here: http://seanm.ca/bass/p-bass.html

One cool thing about the MIM was it was inexpensive, so I tend to tinker with it more than the other basses.
  14. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

My main Jazz bass is a MIM Fender. I have modded it a bit. Typical
    mods like pickups, pots, cap and such. It is a great bass. I have
    been gigging with it for years.

Here I am playing it 16 years ago.

[​IMG]

And this is last weekend with it.

[​IMG]

I could not ask for a better bass.
  15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

my '99 Mexi 5banger is super smooth. it has great feel, low action, and the swag of a much more expensive piece!:D
  16. stretberas

stretberas

yes you are right.., that fender MIM lately have improved in quality and workmanship ... I have a fender jazz bass MIM made ​​in 2011, and it was really great bass ..
  17. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

I've heard a rumour (from two different sources) that the Mexican Fender factory is only a few miles down a highway from the American Fender factory (that would be the standard production factory obviously, not the custom shop). Now, obviously rumours are rumours, but given the kind of quality difference that there generally is (or lack thereof), not to mention the kind of importance today's society places on "where" things are made, I'd say that such a situation is quite possible. The number of threads getting posted these days that make a very vociferous attempt at trivialising the quality gap between Squire, MIM Fender and MIA Fender is immense, so maybe that's people picking up on the negligible geographic discrepancy.

Personally, I'd love it if that was the truth, because it would be Fender thumbing their nose at all the "Made In XXXX" snobs out there. Who cares where it's made? Who cares what it says on the headstock? Have we STILL not evolved to the point where we realise that it's engineers who build things, NOT marketing agents?
  18. stretberas

stretberas

Wouw., 16 years ago? and you still take care of it until now, great bass my friend..!!
  19. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

I have an MIM Standard jazz bass. It does indeed rock hard. I've had it about a year, and it's taken some bumps and scraps without a mark to show for it. It plays really well. I swapped the stock pups for EMG-JX pups. (A pickup swap is the most common upgrade on anything Fender.)

Fender guitars are very hit-or-miss, and this applies to the USA-made stuff too. Don't let anyone kid you. However, Fender makes a great 4-string bass. That being said, a good setup is needed as well.
  20. Valerus

Valerus

My Mexican 2009 Classic 70s Jazz is one of the best basses I've ever played. The quality of the Mexican runs has improved significantly in the last 5 years or so.