What do you think about the squire jaguar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nova221, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Nova221

Nova221

I don't know much about it can you guys tell me how it is?

2. Woofer

Woofer

Which model, specifically? They've got like 4 or 5 of them.

That said, I've played the regular VM ( the one with blocks) and the 5 string. Both played very nicely and the build quality was very good.

3. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

You'll find lots of people have good things to say about them. Try doing a search, you should get plenty of info that way.

I have the SS and it is very comfortable to play, well built. The only negative IMNSHO is the bridge pickup has significantly weaker output than pb pickup. I did find a setting I like for it though so it is workable. Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

4. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I have a VM Jaguar (black/tort/rosewood with pearl blocks & matching headstock) and it's a good bass. Not perfect, but it balances with a good strap, it's built way, and the P-pup sounds great; I tend to not use the bridge pickup to be honest. I swapped the stacked pots out for one blend and one tone, and I'll probably just disconnect the bridge pickup and have V/T.

I've had the bass 3 years or so I think, and it's been gigged heavily; no problems with it, ever. The satin neck is very nice, and the profile is comfortable to me.

I think very highly of the Vintage Modified line, though (I now own 3).

I haven't had a lot of experience with the active models with the bass boost, though, I have heard good things about them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockscott

rockscott

I had the vm for a while, rosewood, blocks. decent bass for short money.

7. Nova221

Nova221

I was looking at the three tone sunburst it's a cheeper model 199 off GC I'm a fairly new bassist and want to use it for my band and possible record

8. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I saw the single humbucker model for $149.00 at musicians friend.Silver /rosewood.That's a reasonable price.

9. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Had one of these for awhile. Other than the black hole sized dead spot between the 4-7 frets on the G, it was decent. Had reasonably good tone with brighter or light gauge strings. Was muddy with heavy flats finger style, but good picked. And I thought it was ugly.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

11. ZenG

ZenG

Is this the one that goes for 150 to 200 bucks?

I was going to try one because it was short scale.

Reviews I've read say the bridge saddles have a tendency to move around sometimes ...if that's an issue.

And the tone-pot is suspect at times........

Other than that , many seem to like it for the price-point.....

12. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

Agree with mrb327, bought a single humbucker model for about a buck forty-five right off this forum. A little tweeking and a set of light gauge strings got the action extremely low and fast. Didn't sound half bad either. Definitely worth the money.

Oh. And I think they look cool. Sorry Mr. B.

13. Nova221

Nova221

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. not sure what I am 'being like' ...

... with all due respect, although you have only been here for a few months (welcome), you will quickly learn that the search function can be your best friend and educator ... besides, many (most) of same 'people' that will respond to your inquiry here, have replied on many of the threads that I took time to link to for you ... probably more than a few times ... these are the SAME 'people' you wanted to ask, as all of those links are very current ...

...there is no doubt in my mind that once you have taken the time to read everything on those few links, you will know everything about Squier Jaguars that you want to know, without getting it into your own hands, and then evaluating it for yourself ... should I be wrong, you have a couple more years worth of opinions/facts to read about since the Sq Jag models were introduced ...

... but then, I understand that it is easier just to ask again ...

15. MakoMan

MakoMan

Short answer... all the Squier Jaguar models are good basses. Pick the one in the style and price range you like and you cannot go wrong.

16. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Hey thats why there is more than one bass, right?

17. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

LOL! Yeah, makes sense. I knew there had to be a sane reason for the mind boggling variety of choice available to Bass players.

18. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Its because we're stupid and buy one of each...

Search "NBD" and see what I mean!

19. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

I picked up a VM SS, just learning bass, but so far am loving it. A few people we play with who actually know how to play it were very impressed.

20. medina286

medina286

I use one of those in rehearsals, I keep it in my studio, sorry, my garage.

It has dead spots, the fb pickup is kind of mute and the A string plays lower than the other strings.

It booms like a cannon and I love it.

21. Nova221

Nova221

Anyone else have that annoying hum sometimes it hsppends and sometimes it's gone however the bass is amazing.