1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you think about this new pickup idea by Fishman?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyMan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Very interesting, I would love to hear how they sound.
  3. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Wow thats interesting.. Thanks for sharing
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear the Jazz Bass model.
  5. RobbieK

RobbieK

That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that!?
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the manufacturing is a brilliant workaround, but so far as i can tell the design goal (stacked pickup with a "neutral" inherent sound, a preamp EQ used to create the various pickup "characters") is straight out of the '80s, only EMG and even ultrasound were there first.
  7. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

An original and modern take on such a simple product
    First came conventional pups; then on board pre-amps; this is by far the next big possibility
    Thanks for posting
  8. bassbenj

bassbenj

I'm pretty sceptical about this. First is the "printed" coil. Because of the insulation spacing between layers and between turns while they may be more consistent unit to unit, they will not have the number of turns you can get with wire in the same space. This will make a low output, low imedance pickup. Also I don't thing the "via" connections are going to be especially reliable in a stack that thick. There is trouble plating them with 6 or 10 layers let alone 48. And the fewer turns means lower impedance so all the tone shaping will need be done in a preamp so there is only an active choice here.

It may be a way to cop the classice vintage pickup tones, but I'm thinking it's a bit too late with digital modeling getting better and better.

Time will tell. I haven't seem much of that "game changer" pickup coil switching system lately. I don't think it gained much popularity.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

The "Game Changer" was a way to store pup selections for convenience.
    An interesting idea for a limited market IMO.
    It did not represent any new pup or preamp tonalities although still an original idea.

Bassbenj; you could be right although there are some pretty serious guys at Fishman who have had a history of great design and implementation.
  10. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Totally agree. The only real innovation here is in replacing wire coils with printed wire coils, which is really interesting. The rest is just basically building an active pickup around the coil with some tone-shaping onboard, something that has been around for years.

I think they missed the boat in not offering bass pickups as part of the initial run. Bass players in general tend to be way more accepting of new technology than guitarists.
  11. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I think the beauty of this concept is consistency...
  12. pfox14

pfox14

Neat technology but....the basic design of a pickup hasn't changed that much in decades - still wire wrapped around a magnet, etc. Don't think I'll be switching.
  13. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    I remember when CD's first came out and got the pitch about their "perfect" sound and "unscratch-abilty"...NOT.
    Now the industry standard seems to be MP-3's. NOT.
    Damn some of our "modern" music technologies!
  14. walterw

big +1 here.

i have no idea why a guitar player would want any of that, i don't see it solving any problems for him. hell, not being a "classic" design he would probably very much not want that.

for bass it could be a neat way to get more flexibility or fidelity, say if the same-sounding coil could be made smaller than normal to leave room for other stuff like preamps or other coils.
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I disagree about bass players liking new things ask Fender? how many companies are still doing "their" take on P and J basses?. I have a line 6 Variax that is one incredible bass and it was too much for the bass world but the guitar version is still going strong.
  16. Scourge441

Scourge441

IMO the coolest thing is the USB-rechargeable battery. Can't believe no one thought of that already.

If they release a model that can replace the EMG-HZs in my Spector I'm totally on board.
  17. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It appears to be a low turn count, stacked coil, hum canceling pickup. People have been doing things like this for years, this seems to be a combination of techniques that have never been combined in this way before. So not ground breaking but sometimes new combinations of old things achieve remarkable results. And sometimes the market says, meh. Everything they are doing is good, solid engineering, including the 48 layer pcb. Only the market can say if it will succeed or not.

Low turn count, amplified pickups do have a very hi-fi sound from what I have read. The hi-fi sound is often described as sterile by tone junkies who are seeking some specific lo-fi tonal characteristic produced by a classic instrument and its pickups. However a hi-fi sound right out of the pickup can be tonally shaped to emulate any lo-fi pickup just as Fishman claims to be doing so it will be interesting to see if guitarists agree. Musicians are a funny bunch, they tend to believe that only tubes and paper/oil capacitors connected with cloth covered wire can produce a decent sound. This Fishman design has the potential to bring the Variax concept to the masses, but mjac28 may be right, bassists may just be too conservative to buy into it.

I love the line about symphony orchestras being cover bands. I've been saying that for years but then I am not one to dismiss a group of excellent performers as a "cover band". Yeah, it's nice to write your own material, but only if you can write good material. Well performed material is a sublime delight no matter who wrote it.
  18. pfox14

pfox14

I was reading "The Bass Book" and it was pushing the idea that all the boutique bass makers have been successful because bass players like new and unusual stuff much more than your typical guitar player. I'm not sure if I really buy it.
  19. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

This is a cool idea. Wonder how it stacks up (no pun intended) to a Wal-like multi-coil pickup which is usually wired to have as low an impedance as possible.
  20. walterw

compared to guitar players?

i don't think it's even a question.

sure, Ps and Js are the most popular, but there's a lot more innovative or even wacky bass stuff that actually gets used than guitar stuff out there.

compare the popularity of 5-string basses vs. 7-string guitars, for instance.