What do you think is importnant with a recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I would say a strong drum and bass in the mix for sure! If there is something I don't like at all, is when a song has guitars in it that dominate.

In my opion, a good drum ánd bass make a song much fuller and more fun to listen to.
    I experienced that with Rammstein's CD, ''Liebe Ist Für Alle Da'', which was released in October, 2009.

Their earlier albums had poor drum and bass in it, but with the LIFAD album, they increased the presence of those 2 instruments very well.
  2. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Depends entirely on the genre.
  3. kevteop

kevteop

Right. I'd rather not have any guitars at all if possible. Very bored of guitar.
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

LOL :p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't think I can sum up "things that are important to a recording" in a single universal list.

I like to hear all the instruments contributing -- there's a reason that they're all there hopefully, but there's a compromise that often has to be made. Sometimes I like to hear separation, sometimes I like to hear a wall of sound. It depends on what the mix is trying to achieve, and that may change throughout a song from phrase to phrase.
  7. zachoff

zachoff

There are a lot of recordings I like that have way different sounds. From Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power to Mastodon - Crack the Skye.

Things I don't really like are recordings that are heavily gated and/or compressed. I also don't really like drum triggers.