What do you think my 2000 Jazz Bass is worth? Fender/Bartolini/Gotoh/Sexy Color...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Disclosures:
    Employee at a Guitar Shop
    Looking to sell this but have no clue what it's worth. I can't remember what it sold for new, and I know that the last guy put a lot of money into the Bartolini pickups, new pots, and the Gotoh bridge. I'm going to be putting this up for sale as soon as I can get a good idea of what it's worth.

Upgrades: Bartolini Pickups, Gotoh Bridge, new pots/stacked eq (pretty sure it's a stacked eq). Comes with original pickups, and original bridge. The Gotoh bridge doesn't require string through body so the old ferrels fell out, but I bought a new set of them that are included in case the future buyer wants to return the guitar back to the original bridge. It also comes with the original pots.

***The color is actually "Aqua Marine Metallic" but won't appear that way in the photos. The first 2 photos are representations of the color***

I guess it's a hard color to photo from what I've read.

Here's some pics...

***These first two are not of my bass, they are used to represent the true color***
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the pics of the bass in question...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

i would pay $800 to a $1000 for a stock one.No interest in modified basses.In my opinion i would put her back to stock.Good Luck.
  3. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I'd say 750 to 900. I personally like the mods, except for the stacked eq. Bartolinis are my favorite pickups.
  4. Troph

Troph

Generally, non-professionally installed mods do not add much value (and can reduce value) of Fenders, unless you provide photos that show it's quality work.

The fact that the knobs don't even match suggest it isn't quality work. Also, adding a "stacked EQ" suggests that some type of preamp was added. You need to describe precisely what electronic mods were done.

If you can't document these items, it's worth considerably less, because someone with the know-how might have to take it apart and fix it.
  5. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Disclosures:
    You're implying that it needs fixed?

I'm failing to see the correlation between mis-matched knobs and non-quality work?
  6. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I were to look at this bass, it's obvious that something was done to the control cavity/plate. Without pictures of the work that was done internal to that cavity, I have no way of knowing how well, or how poorly, the job was done. This adds doubt as to whether or not I want to buy a bass that I "might" have to re-wire or trouble-shoot.

You can of-course allay those fears by posting pictures & comments of the work done to the control plate/cavity so people can decide for themselves whether or not it was a good job. I believe this is what was meant by the mis-matched knobs implying a possibility of shoddy work.

It's been my experience that returning the bass to stock & selling the "upgrade" parts individually will give you more money at the end of the day. I had a Mexican Jazz that I had hot-rodded and was trying to sell for $600. It didn't sell, so I parted it out completely and ended up with around $800 after I was done. YMMV.

I would put this between $600-$800 stock.
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Okay,
    I guess that explains everything......

Non matching knobs tells me there was a lack of detail while assembling.
    If the knobs are not right it tells me that there may be more hack work done to it.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Return it to stock, then sell it and sell the other parts separately.

Otherwise you're going to take a hit to the overall value of the pieces. Not only will it not be worth more with the mods, it will actually be worth less than stock although the 'upgraded' parts and labor cost someone some bucks.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I'd also be turned off by whatever you have happening with the string ferrules in the rear of the instrument as well as what looks like some modification to the rear pickup rout, which shows a bit of clumsy work as I can see wood there.
  10. pfox14

pfox14

All the mods and add-ons reduce the value of the bass. I don't care how expensive they were. I agree with everyone, return it stock and sell it that way. $800-1000
  11. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Disclosures:
    I appreciate the concerns and the notes about them.

How about just a value in it's current state? Electronics are fine, sound amazing. I can post pictures to anyone concerned who might purchase this to ease their concerns should they have any.

I understand parting it out may yield a higher price, but I don't wish to do that. I'd like to move the bass as it is.
  12. Troph

Troph

The completely mis-matched knobs are a big sign that attention to detail wasn't something the modifier cared about. That can be a big red flag that similar shortcuts were taken on the other changes, which you haven't documented at all. The lack of detailed pictures are a big factor here. For example, we still don't know what kind of pre-amp was installed? What does the control plate look like? Is there a battery crammed in there, presumably?

Mods are funny like that. When done well, they can make a bass desirable to someone looking for that mod, although they also tend to restrict the target audience somewhat. But when done by an amateur, they can absolutely ruin an instrument.

And finally, without information about the specific pickup models and electronics, it's kind of a gamble. With the few pics provided on the mod details, I wouldn't touch that bass at any price above about $600-700.
  13. FourBanger

FourBanger

IMO for mods to add value they have to appear better than stock when complete, like it was a Custom Shop version of the same bass.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yeah. That's probably about right.
  15. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

I wouldnt buy it to many nice stock ones out there.Hmmm IMO value as is $600 in Canada.Thats a shame to do that to such a nice Fender.
  16. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I can tell you that 3 years ago I paid $675 for this stock 2000 MIA jazz in mint condition with case on Craigslist:

[​IMG]

It came with a Crate 115 combo which I sold for $150 so it ended up costing $525. I would probably ask more than that if I were to sell it today.

Fender doesn't offer a natural American Standard today. The same could be said for the color of yours, but whether that adds value depends on the buyer's tastes. The bart/bridge mods are kind of a wash. Probably better to return it to stock and sell off the mod parts.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

That's a good deal though. A quick perusal of current prices makes 99/00 MIA Standards look like they're generally selling in the 800-1000 range.

I have a 92/93 longhorn that I decided to hold on to since they're selling in the 600-700 range stock.
  18. Bongolation

Bongolation

ABSOLUTELY!

Then sell the "mod" parts for lots of extra gravy. ;)

It's amazing how the math works on this, and I've been flipping gear for over forty years. The bass will be worth less with the mods than if it were original, but carefully restored to original the leftover mod parts and pickups can be sold for nearly what you paid for them, maybe more.

Never do an irreversible mod to gear.

Price for the original bass alone? You can ask $700 and take what you can get, but I don't see any sane buyer paying more than $600, and then only if he's in love with that atrocious color (that's what's called "finding your boy" in the biz). There's nothing special about these (and in fact a few production problems on most of them from this period), and new American Standards, which are far better instruments, can be had new for under $800 if you carefully watch the sales at places like Hello.
  19. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Sorry, hate to jump on the bandwagon. Modded to one man's taste is just that; one man's taste. Prepare to take a beating, "as is".
  20. back2thefuture

back2thefuture Supporting Member

You'll definitely get more $ if you put it back to stock before selling. Good luck!