1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What do you think of my Berklee College of Music audition piece?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjnkoo, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Forgive the terrible quality sound and picture, as I can't find the charger for the camera I usually use, so here is a tolerable quality recording from my Droid cell phone. I have my audition for Berklee College of Music in nearly a week, so needless to say I'm a little nervous! This is by no means the most difficult song out there, but it has some cool false harmonics, bends, and a solid groove. Its also by one of my favorite bassists, Tony Levin off of his album Resonator. I'm playing my Dingwall ABZ5 (an absolutely brilliant instrument) through my Phil Jones Briefcase amp, although with the audio quality of my phone I can guarantee the actual tone won't be displayed too well. Please let me know what you think!

The piece:

Any advice on the rest of the audition would also be more than appreciated. I've been working on my blues stuff, my reading/playing chord changes, and will begin refreshing my ear for the ear training part of my audition. If anyone has any advice please share! And yes I have used the search function in regards to audition advice, just wondering if any more recent bits of advice may pop out on this thread. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated! :bassist:

2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Great technique, but you're playing a little ahead of the beat. Chill out and remember to stay in the pocket.
    Let the music come to you on it's own--don't force it.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

You'd be likely to get more replies - if you'd placed this thread in the correct forum. Like "General Instruction", for example... :rolleyes:

MM

4. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

KeithAlanK, thanks for the advice. I was always so used to a metronome I'm still getting a bit used to a 'drum machine' type track

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I agree with the ahead of the beat thing, but you got some talent there! Keep it up and just relax, forget the video is on, just enjoy yourself :)

Good luck with the audition!

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

don't eat just before the audition. if hungry, have a light meal/snack. (you stomach will be in knots as it is)

please don't go in starving either, obviously. ;)

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Really good hands. You will like Berklee- just don't drink too much of the Berklee cool aide!

Berklee students and grads show up at Townie auditions for bands I am in or have been in in the past all the time claiming "if you don't have charts for these songs I can't play them".

We laugh at this. Even conservatory trained musicians I work with can learn and be prepared to play simple pop songs with no charts.

That beef aside, Berklee does graduate some talented players. Just try to remain human once you have the degree lol!