1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by avvie, Jan 13, 2013.

1. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

I've been doing lots of reading here the past few days but still not quite zeroing in on decisive info. Out here on this island there's no way to test drive anything.

How do you feel about a TC Electronics BH250 head driving a SWR Goliath Jr II cab (2/10, tweeter, 4ohm 250W RMS)?

Venues here are small. Music is rock and roll. I have a 700 watt rig if I need one.

Also, Hartke's 250 watt amp has "tube emulator" preamp. What is that and is it worth anything? I've owned the 3500 twice and currently have a 7000. I like the tube pre-amp, but understand why a tube wouldn't be in the 2500 model. What say you?
  2. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I use the combo version of the TCE, which has a 15 and the tube emulation on it is nice and responsive. It sounds way louder than a standard 250 watts. It's louder than the 400 watt GB neox 112 combo that I had previously. I would probably get a different cab than the Goliath Jr. I would want something that could be pushed harder.
  3. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

Right on... but money's tight... a new cab probably isn't going to happen. in fact i'm sure of it. I have a 4/10 and 1/15 if i need it, but i was also hoping to lessen my footprint on these small stages.

Steps work for me too btw.
  4. stepswork4me

Dig it, man. I know it's rated correctly but TCE hit a homerun with this one. It's damn loud if you want it to be.

The Steps are a wonderful thing and I'm very thankful for them.;)
  5. stepswork4me

6. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

Yeah, I read through both of those threads and a couple of others about micro amps but still never found a situation that I could fully relate to. The BG250 sounds like a fantastic combo; I just wondered how the head might work with my existing equipment. It may be too soon to be asking, actually, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
  7. wango55

wango55

I've got the BH250 and use it to power a SWR goliath JR, 2x10, but the 8ohm version. Meaning it puts out like 180 watts I think. It gets plenty loud - I'd been using it for practice, but am competing with a loud drummer, two guitarists with Marshall half stacks, and another guitar player with a 50Watt tube amp. No problems being heard, and I think I had the volume cranked to 1 or 2 o'clock. My band has said that they can hear me loud and clear, and actually like the tone from this little amp. I would have no problems using this setup for a small bar/club gig. For larger rooms, I have a 1x15 cab that I'd run in parallel.
  8. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

Awesome! That is definitely the sort of response I was looking for.