1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What do you use for a back up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abrahampost, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

I am looking into picking up a second bass to back up my g&l L2500. I can't decide if I should find something similar in tone like a tribute L2500 or if getting something different tonally would be better... like a p bass with flat wounds. My aim is to keep it under 750 on the used market.

Do you bring two similar basses to shows or have some variety on deck?

2. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

If it's for backup I would want something similar. If it's for variation I would want something different.

3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    If you are in entertainment for the long haul, then consider making due with one bass, but consider a back-up liver.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Variety basses, the Line 6 or my hands can make them sound similar if needed.
    Current backups(1 or 2 depending on venue size): Galveston USA flag bass, Epi/Gibson Accubass with Dimarzio DP122, Greco LP clone, or whatever I grab on the way out the door.

Current primary: Fame/Hondo P clone with factory Kahler & Seymour Duncan pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

For almost 3 decades, I only had one bass, no back-up (first a Jazz, then a Carvin) A back-up was a luxury I simply could not afford. However, I was lucky, and never needed one!

Now, I take a 2nd bass. But more for a change, and for fun than actual necessity.

If you only have one bass now, I'd recommend getting a different bass for the fun of it, and to expand your sonic pallet. Although your G&L is like a Jazz bass on steroids, and can be switched from single coil (Fender) to humbucker, it won't quite cover a Precision sound. So, get the P, and put the "other" kind of strings on it (flats, if you have rounds now).

Or, for something completely different, get a Hofner or an SG bass.

There is wisdom in getting a 2nd of what you have (a true back-up) in case the primary bass quits for some reason, you can simply grab the back-up and continue with little to no change. That really is luxury, to have 2 of the same!

Just my 2 cents...

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

bought an 80s japanese fender jazz then changed the bridge and pickups to make it a back up for my L2000

8. TJBass

TJBass

I drive an SX jazz at first but switch to a modded Affinity P when my back screams louder than the guitarists metal zone pedal!

9. DogBone

DogBone

I agree with this.

My main bass is a Precision. I do not use or keep a back up on stage.

However, I have an inexpensive short scale bass that I will leave stashed in the car or truck if I'm playing an important event. It doesn't take up much room at all and it's no real loss if something happens to it.

But most of the time I just bring my Precision with no backup.

I do keep it well maintained and in good condition, and I keep extra strings and a few tools in my gig bag in case something stupid happens.

10. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Squier VM pbass
    Squier CV pbass
    Squier VM Bass VI

Though the Squier may soon replace the PSVI as my '#1 VI'

Squier VM kicks so much ass

11. bstark

bstark

I bring two basses to the gig. I've been using a Fender P-Bass on stage, and a Jazz Bass is on standby.

There has been a few times when I had to call in my trusty standby.

Occasionally, these basses will switch places for a gig, or I'll throw in a five-stringer just for a little something different to play and hear.

Bob

12. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

+1 on this, i have both a back up that is a duplicate bassand variation basss. i recommend both as the consistency is great to have as well as its good to have something different sometimes.

do you have the luxury of having a variation bass work in you current playing position? or would a dulicate/backup bass serve you better?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like variety but I also like having two basses that are more interchangeably swapped out. Have a couple I can swap out sort of interchangeably but they're still dissimilar. Got to decide what's more important. For me, variety is more important over interchangeability, but I sure hate dealing with the hoops you have to jump through from using two basses with dissimilar output and tone. Therefore, I tend to bring only one bass to gigs.

14. Davo-London

Davo-London

15. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I had verbally ordered another Gamma from Joe, but rather then another P, it was going to be a J with the same color scheme as
    my current P, however, my wife and I are currently experincing a ton of medical bills and I had to cancel the order. The reason for the J as well as the same make was to have a make I've become very comfortable with, with great customer service. Plus I don't need two P's.
    I don't think I would take more then bass to a show. When I did have two, I never brought both of them.. one time I didn't break 2 E strings in about a four min span of time due a large amount of
    liquid and other forms of chemicals. I then barrowed the headliner's bassists guitar and immediately broke his E string. That headlining act happened to be DRI....

:what::rolleyes:

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I bring an MIA Jazz and an MIA Precision to every gig.

17. MrTaff

MrTaff

I bring an old P bass tuned ADGC, sounds nothing like my main & doesn't even have the right number of strings, I should really get something closer but I've never used it live so it's hard to justify spending more money on a bass I'll probably never play.

18. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

For years I only brought my Fender Precision to gigs, never needed a backup. Recently, I got a Warwick 5 string for some variety. Technically, it serves as a backup for the Precision, as I could play anything on it that the Precision can cover, but there are songs that are clearly better played on one or the other.

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Washburn Bantam Steinberger copy Bass. Why? Because it's light and tiny. And cheap.
    Bought it used for €150,- with the leather bag. In all the time i never had a bass fail me on stage apart from one battery dying. I always hefted a second case around to have a backup, just in case. When i ran across the bantam i thought it'd be a nice bass for an acoustic gig i do a few times a year in a crowded café with no stage where it always gets tight (Git/voc, Bass and Cajun, all squeezed into a corner) and bought it.
    When i bring two basses (fretless and fiver) to a gig, i don't need a backup, i can play all our material on any bass i own, but when i intend to bring one, the Washburn comes along, too.

20. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

With all the gear already being hauled – pedalboard, amp and upright – I don't bring a backup. I'd like a backup, so I'm thinking small and light such as a Steinberger, Washburn Bantam, Hohner B2, Hofner Shorty, Status Streamline, or U-Bass or similar.

Ensuring the show goes on is more important to me than matching tones. The audience won't care too much about whether they hear a P-tone or a J-tone; so long as the music is happening they're happy.

Of course, if I was talented enough to earn money and hire roadies etc, I'd have similar backups to everything... :cool:

21. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I usually bring two jazz basses, one fretted and one fretless. Most songs are played on the fretted bass, just a few on fretless. I see the fretless partly as backup, even though I would have some problems using it for all songs, I would have to dumb down some bass lines for sure.