What do you use the SA Hot Hand for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 2, 2014.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've seen the obvious use, the synth bass dubstep wobble, but do you use the Hot Hand controller for anything else? Audio or video examples would be awesome.

2. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Chairman, Source Audio
    Here is one Will did a while back:

Unemploid and FretNoMore like this.
  3. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Behndy had a demo video when he was recording and he used it to basically make his bass sound kind of like a bass/cello using a bow:

Unemploid, gregmon79 and FretNoMore like this.
  4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I use it on synth clav and keyboard bass when I'm doing quick, staccato notes. It sounds like an envelope filter that can't decide whether it's up sweep or down sweep. The random-sounding sweeps are really cool; neither an envelope filter nor a wah can make sounds quite like it.

FretNoMore likes this.
  5. I've used it with my H9 pitch shifting. Having no shift in playing position, then jumping an octave when I lift my hand.

I've also used the same with the speed of a phaser. Playing is a super slow phase, then hand up is super fast and wiggly.

Of course the dubstep stuff is fun too and the most usable application I've found.

FretNoMore likes this.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks guys ... I'm debating whether I should buy it but at the moment I don't really see anything I want to do where an expression pedal isn't enough. But you never know.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I would love to work with Sylvia Massy. She's a great engineer.

8. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Whoa! That was Behindy? Cool as all getout!

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, I followed the whole thing while it was active. She seems really fun/funny as well.

11. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I use it for the dubstep wobbles with my Manta. I also have it hooked up to my Line6 M5 and I've tried to do some things with ParticleVerb and OctoVerb---full dry in playing position, lift hand to get a little crazy. But I never quite got that completely tweaked.

12. i'd like to see a hot hand used with a keyboard.

13. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    If I had video capabilities, I'd do a demo. It's fantastic with Stevie Wonder-like clav lines.

Unemploid likes this.
  14. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I use it for wobble also but I dont have the band personnel to make it useful live....though I have generated interest in covering "Madness" with it, so maybe there's hope...

15. sifrancisbass

sifrancisbass Guest

Apr 10, 2014
    London, England
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario, Jule Amps, Darkglass, Source Audio, Ashdown, Mantic Effects, COG Effects, Fender, Gibson, Malekko
    I often use the Hot Hand for ambient things. It's great for volume swells as in that video of behndy, but also had lots of fun using it to control delay feedback and/or speed: it allows you to essentially "catch" a note and have it repeat... really fun, expressive and intuitive. I often find myself using one in this capacity over filter effects these days.

16. ncabral

ncabral Guest

Jun 2, 2014
    great video! I will post this on our Facebook page

17. ncabral

ncabral Guest

Jun 2, 2014
    I'm trying to reach 10 posts so I can post a link for you guys...

18. ncabral

ncabral Guest

Jun 2, 2014
    just 1 moreā€¦ and here we go

19. ncabral

ncabral Guest

Jun 2, 2014
    hello!
    We have created a Facebook page for the Hot Hand where a lot of these videos are posted.

If you'd like to check it out and/or share something you have done with us:
    https://www.facebook.com/thehothand?ref=hl

There's still a lot more we can do with the hot hand, stay tuned and stay in touch : )

Nuno
    [email protected]

FretNoMore likes this.