"What do you want for Christmas?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 22, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Oy. I'm really getting tired of that question.

Here's why. It takes all the FUN out of Christmas to me. If I TELL you exactly what to get me, then why bother with the ceremonial exchange of gifts? Why don't you just give me the money and I'll go and get it myself? Or for that matter, you go buy what you want, and I'll go buy what I want. We'll just meet for dinner to show off what we just bought.

Christmas is supposed to be about wonder and surprise. (Not getting into the religious aspects.) If I have to tell you what to get, let's just not bother.

If you can possibly help it, don't ask people what they want. It's just no fun.
  2. PAC

PAC Banned

I sort of disagree. I would rather receive something I want or need over something I can't or won't use. People need to listen way before thanksgiving to get good ideas. Ymmv
  3. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I'd prefer to just buy myself the things I want and be done with this dumb wonder and magic business model of trying to anticipate what crap will make people think I'm a good person.
  4. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I haven't been asked that question in years. Only my gf buys me gifts anyway and she knows better than to ask. My family hasnt done the gift thing since my teenage years. I wouldn't know what to get my parents and they wouldn't know what to get me either so we just don't do it.

When i do get my gf gifts sometimes I go through her notebook of things she wants (she writes this kind of stuff down because she makes lists of everything, it's not for gifting purposes, it's to remind herself of the things she might want to get) Other times i improvise. It IS nice to improvise but i do agonize over it a little....like will that be good enough...will she tink its stupid. I think i've always done well so far but the more years go by, the less i know what to get her....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Don't piss and moan about your entitlement to fun during Christmas, I say. Pull yourself up from your bootstraps and take what you asked for. All these regulations are stifling my right to not give a flip about anyone.
  7. zachoff

zachoff

I want avalanche gear for backcountry snowboarding. Please, Santa.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

It's outta control. Gifts for children are rarely under a hundred bucks and are now hundreds.

What ever happened to a hot wheels and a chocolate Santa?

That said, I just want stings for Christmas.

Edit: enterprises ruined Christmas. It used to be a religious feast combined with a pagan festival where little hand made trinkets were exchanged and food was shared. It has been co-opted by commerce and liberally sprinkled with guilt by people that don't even believe in what it represents. If you don't follow it's representation, don't celebrate it. Make up a new holiday with new traditions and don't let commerce take it over.
  9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I too, have first world problems where people wish to offer me gifts, and I'm inconvenienced by their selections either being not the items I would purchase for myself or lacking proper first world surprise because I was already aware of the contents.:|
  10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Milk nailed it. We should know the persons we're buying for well enough to know what they want without asking. But many people are too self-absorbed to see past themselves, and consumerism is so rampant that people are too eager to buy what they want/need rather than go without.

I think the magic of Christmas left many adults long ago. It's no longer a season of joy, but a financial burden and series of chores. I mean buying a tree, bringing it home, office parties, Secret Santa, wrapping presents. Who has time for that?
  11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    We don't do all the usual Christmas stuff in my family. No presents, visiting, parties or any of that malarkey.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas Day. It's the only day in the entire year that I get to do exactly what I want with no work calls or emails to hassle me. In fact, my family and friends know better than to bother me at Christmas, too. If anyone dares to call me on the day, then they'd better have a damn good reason and not just be calling to say "Merry Christmas", or they'll wish to God they'd never dialled the number. Grrr. :D
  12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Ain't nobody got time for that!
  13. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster Supporting Member

I don't really know how to add to this, you've nailed my thoughts exactly.

I guess I'm curious how TBers would go about getting the askers to change they way they think of gift giving. I'm not sure what to say to friends and family who do this other than "just pick out whatever you see that makes you think of me."
  14. pica

pica

My boss wrapped in nothing but a bow.
  15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Well, if you like to be surprised, then your response can be "Anything. Surprise me." That's it.
  16. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Easy one to answer.

Spend the week with my boy, DIL, and grandson.

Fortunately, that's what I'm getting as they're flying out here. Don't really care if I get anything else.
  17. JimK

JimK

I'm easy. I want/collect albums...with maybe 4k-5k in my inventory...I happily provide a list 'cause I always hear "...but you already have everything".
    Nope, I don't.
    So...
    ...ultimately, this is what I end doing, too.
  18. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Super. That's the good stuff. Try to do it worry-free, and Enjoy!
  19. PAC

PAC Banned

We are also looking forward to watching our granddaughter and four grandsons. Our sons kids will stay thanksgiving week and our daughters kids will stay with us the week before Christmas.
    I was looking at a new bass, but I'd rather spend it on the kids.
    Have a great holiday. I know we will.
    Paul
  20. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Yep. What could be more fun than spending time with your kids and grandkids?

Since I live alone I don't usually bother with putting up a tree. This year, I put it up today.
  21. Mike M.

Mike M.

Seriously? For Christmas, I'd like for my daughter-in-law to lighten up. All I know about her past is that her parents divorced, her dad basically said goodbye and she seems to hate any father figure and that includes me. She's also said some very unkind things about me that were totally uncalled for. We're civil and while I don't hate her I feel no love for her at all. I've helped her and my son finacially on many occasions and never got one word of thanks from her.

Sure wish it was differant because I'd love to see my two grandsons more. But I just don't feel welcomed when I go over to thier place.