What do you want in the next generation of P or J Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mazinger, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Without this getting into a Fender bashing thread, What would you do or not do to improve the next generation of the classic P or J basses? MIA, MIM, Squire, etc...

Fender did the S1 switch several years ago. 2010 had the great neck and pickups were changed a few years after. The present neck actually made me buy a J bass.

What say you?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Glossless necks. I hate glossy necks. Aside from that, they shouldn't change a thing.
  3. M0ses

M0ses

Fender should offer build-a-bass for reasonable prices like Warmoth. I bet they could make more money charging a bit extra for blocks and binding on a million basses than the tiny number of custom shop instruments they sell.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

personally I'm not a huge fan of fender releasing so many signature models that are are essentially the same basses with mods that any local repair guy could do. Fender still to this day doesn't make 5 string fretless jazz basses??? I also wouldn't mind seeing some different necks. For me personally, 5 of the last 7 fretted basses I bought had Wenge necks (or a combination of wenge with purpleheart or bubinga) with no finish. I do like like maple necks for fretless but on fretted bass i prefer wenge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I've had this thought for years. It might eat into Custom Shop sales, but they would probably more than compensate with volume. They could offer more finishes, neck options, pickup options, etc., more like G&L. Spec it out on line, go through a dealer, done. It could even be a separate series.

I also think Fender should adopt Plek fret leveling on its U.S. instruments, like Gibson and G&L.
  7. Gorn Captain

Oh, and jazz basses without ugly exposed routing so they can go pickguard-less.
  8. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

I would love to see more color options on some of the mim and even CV/VM. I'd also like the option of getting a pick guard color of my choosing so I don't have to buy one as soon as I get the bass.
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

White Pearl block inlays (like the Marcus Miller) in the MIM Standard maple Jazz neck available on all colors.
  10. Mazinger

I can agree to that!
  11. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Adjustable foam mutes would be nice.
  12. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    This is the 21st Century, yet we still must operate our basses with our hands, as if we were turning over an old propeller. Ridiculous! The next Gen of basses must have onboard computers and must be self-playing. That way I can not only monitor my FOH bass sound throughout the show, but also smoke and drink through the entire set. Always hated that 40 minutes of forced sobriety whilst gigging -- like Julian from Trailer Park Boys, I am loathe to ever relinquish my cocktail glass. Surely, computers can handle this task? It ain't rocket science...
  13. Gorn Captain

And musicman style trussrod adjustment on all models. It seems like easiest possible way to adjust a truss rod.
  14. pedroims

pedroims

Straplocks pin, stingray truss rod nut type.
  15. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

A thousand times this.
  16. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

You mean like Carvin :bassist:
  17. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Matte finish necks, electronics routs that allow for pickguard free use w/o looking like someone butchered a good looking piece of wood, quick change bridges, MM style truss, bound and blocked available to the general public, abalone option for inlays and maybe multi-piece neck construction. That last one is kinda nit picking. Also I think that Fender would gain a ton of customers like me (the kind that never liked them) if they switched from rosewood boards to wenge. Ever compared rosewood to wenge side by side? Rosewood is pretty dead sounding, I'd rather make tables and chairs with it than than an instrument.
  18. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I wish they would offer P's with J necks as a regular thing. I don't
    understand why they don't. I am also sure there are plenty folks who
    would like J's with P necks.
  19. Timmah

Timmah

Left handed Squier and MIM Fender P basses.
  20. Gorn Captain

I see there's a lefty MIM J but no P? That's so silly.
  21. Mazinger

That's weird. Why would the biggest manufacturer of P basses not make a left handed model?