1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What do you want to talk about?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by father of fires, Dec 12, 2012.

1. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I wanna talk about effects but I don't have a specific topic in mind.

So...what's going through y'alls heads right now that isn't worthy of a new thread.

If someone were to ask me the above question I think I'd say something like, "I'm thinking about how much I love the presence control on the Bass Driver and I want to point this out whenever anyone says the Paradriver is better because of mids. Well you know what. My index finger has too many mids. My bass has too many mids. My dirt boxes have too many mids. My amp has too many mids. My cab has too many mids."

I for one love a nice mid scoop and the presence control gives my worn out old strings plenty of zing.

Wow...that got a little ranty there. My bad.
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I am thinking about where to stick my MXR M108 graphic EQ. I am wanting it after my MarkBass SuperSynth because making patches at home, on the computer doesn't always translate as well in a band setting. Maybe the EQ can help save the day. I also got an EarthBound Audio Iron Pig that I dig but think I will need to EQ it some too. I guess the answer is obviously after both. I also am wondering if I should get a parametric EQ. I don't have a ton of EQing in my signal chain, I use a passive Dingwall, an Orange AD200B. My Iron Ether QF2 does have a lot of EQing possibilities but that only applies when that is on. I do a bunch of synthy stuff too and have other fuzz, OD and Distortion options.
    I actually have a lot of experimenting to do with my board soon.
    Oh, and I dig Mids.
  3. father of fires

I have an old school EHX graphic EQ. I got it to boost the lows after my Ross distortion but it started to sound too artificial to me.

I don't use it much anymore but I have found a great use for it.

I put it right after my bass to give it a different character. Like having an active/passive switch. I can cut some low mids and boost some high mids to make my P sound like a J. I would say it also helps give my dirt boxes down the line a different flavor as well.

Maybe you can use a cab sim plug-in with your computer to help get your patches how you like them.
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I have two. It's not so much that they're not thread worthy but that I don't want to do a detailed search.

(1) What do people use for pitch shifting? Just like, step-up or step-down pitch-shifting. The pitch-shifting on my GT-10B is one of its weak points (always is for multis). I have a Morpheus Drop Tune for g***** that works amazing for distorted sounds (a bit of a tone sucker when clean), but it does not work on bass. Do people just use a Whammy? PS-6?

(2) What do people think of the Line 6 stompbox modelers for bass? I was offered an M5 in a trade that fell through, but it gave me serious GAS for it and some of the things I could do with one of those (I could use it on g***** or bass).
  5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

I had a m5. The octaver was great, modulation was good. Delay was good. Gain based effects like od and fuzz werent good on bass. The filters weren't great either.
  6. DeltaPhoenix

I agree. The pitch shifter is decent on a M series too.

I use a PitchFactor for pitch shifting.

I just got done running my EQ into the Iron Pig and it did add a bit of girth where I wanted wthout changing the character of the sound...Nice.
    As far as getting patches EQed right on the MBSS maybe the cabsim would help. I probably should make sosme sort of recording to play along to so I can judge it in a mix, that is where the real problem comes in. Also rooms play a factor some. That is why I thinking EQ after MBSS before dirt.
  7. father of fires

Can both pedals use the same eq settings?

You might have to try different eq's between stages.
  8. DeltaPhoenix

You know you are totally right, I should get a parametric EQ too. I know how to use one (I had an Eden amp before) and they are pretty powerful.
  9. father of fires

Ok...It looks like we have 2 happy customers so far.

Who else is out there???
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I want to know why there isn't an effect unit out there that emulates a Roland TR low pass filter with an expression pedal. You know, in a wah form factor.
  11. father of fires

Any sound samples? I'm trying to imagine what it sounds like.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'm thinking about that new Ehx Bass Big Muff Deluxe, or whatever they're calling it. The one with 2 outs plus a DI, AND both hipass and lowpass filters- all with a blend control, etc. Could be interesting, and my bass board hasn't had a change in quite some time. Hmmm.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi
  13. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I'm thinking that I hope the rest of my pedals sell so I can do things like explore preamps further and finish both pedalboards once and for all. (I know, CRAZY TALK. lol)

Seriously though, I've been working with preamps slowly over the last couple years and would like to find the perfect one for ME. I've tried a Sansamp BDDI, PBDDI, Rusty Box, a VT Bass/external DI combo, Tubeworks BlueTube/DI and most currently a Tone Hammer. The Tone Hammer has been really good and closest so far, but I want to try an Enabler and/or a B7K. I got caught up in the Rusty Box hype when they were all the talk on TB and I was so bummed it didn't work out for me!

5sg.
  14. DeltaPhoenix

IF you don't mind me asking, how are you using a preamp, to push a power amp? I used to use one but I got rid of it. I had it for the occasional backlined show and an emergency DI.
    I ended up taking it out of signal chain and I don't miss it at all but I really dig the way my amp sounds.
  15. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

I'm thinking my board has never been emptier.

I sold a bunch of pedals to fund a new bass and then I blew up my EBS Valvedrive on tour. It's in for repair and needs a new transformer. I'd buy another on in a heartbeat if it couldn't be fixed. It's pretty much the heart of my board.

I went on a preamp search and landed back with a rusty box. I just ordered a Sobbat Bass Breaker as a new sort of dirt to try (got it for a $99 blow out price).

I'm thinking my Pog 2 has useful octave up sounds but I'm not sure I want to keep it. iron Ether need to build something with octave up! I wish the Möbius covered octave up and I could sort of add a modulation box to one spot on my board. I know the pitchfactor is awesome - but I want my octave and modulation to be sized in accordance with its priority on my board. That is 80% dirt sounds and 20% "other" :)

I may have just dribbled nothing of interest there. Sorry!
  16. Niff

Niff

you should rename this the "GAS support help group/circlejerk thread"

i want to add a DOD 250 trebly bitey sound to my rig for a bit more 70s-riff sound, without the mud of a full-on fuzz. so i am going to. right where the beer can is.

[​IMG]

additionally, when i put a board together (plank of wood, black tolex, velcro & door handles for carrying) my bandmate suggested i put a cup holder to avoid any spillage due to floor vibrations from my doom rig.

smartest thing i've heard in weeks.
  17. gdavis

gdavis

Ha, I kinda feel the same way about the BDDI, love the presence and don't really miss a mid.

I'm thinking about a pedal board. Don't know if I should build my own or just get a pedal train or something.
  18. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

No problem, I always love talking about gear. I'm such a gear wh*re. lol

I love the way my amps sound as well, but I like always knowing I have a quality DI with me wherever I bring my pedalboard. I've played gigs where the house DI's left a bit to be desired. I've also run into gigs where they didn't have enough DI's, so having mine freed up one for someone else.

I generally dial in my favorite general EQ settings on my Tone Hammer, and then can adjust per song at my bass if I need to. From the TH, I'll DI to house and 1/4" to an amp... not always MY amp, which is another reason I like having as good a tone from my pedalboard as possible. I've also been doing more and more ampless gigs lately, which is yet another reason I like having something like the TH on my board.

I want to try the Enabler because having a headphone out/aux in right there on my board would be a NEAT trick. :) Some of the ampless gigs haven't had a reliable form of monitor solution, so being able to wire up my channel through headphones would be super handy. I've played gigs where the vocalists had monitors up front, but the band had to rely on whatever we could hear from those... not always the best solution. I just recently did a series of early Christmas concerts where if I would've had my amp loud enough to hear over the auxiliary percussion, tympani, drum kit and tubular chimes sitting all around me, I would've been yelled at for volume (which is exactly what happened at last year's Christmas concerts). I actually ran my Shuttle 6.0 as a headphone amp and it worked out great. I could hear me perfectly and the soundguy had control over my volume in the house. It's a catch 22 though, because the rest of the band members said they couldn't hear me. lol

The B7K appeals to me because it's basically a B3K with an additional EQ and DI, which Doug confirmed is exactly the case. And I love my B3K. Unfortunately, I need to sell the B3K to help fund the 7. If the "upgrade" works though........ :bassist:!

Having a preamp/DI on my board has proven to be an invaluable tool on a number of levels. When I was rocking a BDDI, it actually saved a recording session!!!

5sg.
  19. DeltaPhoenix

That's cool, you actually have a legit use for one. B7K or MeatSmoke is what I would go for if I was preamp hunting. The Enabler does just kind of look handy and I am sure it is excellent quality too.
    I think I am going to start packing my own Mic and stand with me to shows because I hate being DIed in the first place, Fuzz doesn't sound as good DIed IMO.
  20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Why did you not think they were good on bass? Was it a matter of tone, tracking, loss of low end, etc.? I was interested in it for the octaver, some of the synth sounds, and to have an "all-in-one"/"Swiss Army Knife" stompbox. I would definitely use it for both bass and g*****.