What Does a 1974 Jazz Bass Sound Like In a Blues Band?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thebrian, Aug 6, 2013.

1. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    You tell me!
    Here's a link to my band's website.. The 60 Grit Blues Band
    If you click on the "music" tab, you can listen to our 5 newest songs, all of which I recorded with this here beauty, my '74 Fender Jazz...

[​IMG]

If your computer speakers suck like mine do, you can hear the bass great in headphones. We have a few videos on the site too! Please tell me what you think of the band, a song, the bass, my playing.. whatever! Also, these songs aren't track by track, we recorded them all live in the studio and overdubbed the vocals later. We wanted it to sound live and raw, rather than polished.

We are still in the infancy stage of this band, and just starting to get some some really good gigs, but most of us have played with each other in different groups over the last (almost) 20 years. If you like what you hear, please like us on FB too.. 60 Grit on Facebook
    Thanks!

2. Salamenster

Salamenster

No offense, but I'm using bass heavy headphones and have still trouble hearing you through the rythm guitars in Bright Lights and Crossroads. What were you amp and PU settings?

Got my Mojo Working sounds cool, though. That's quite mix. You could still be louder though. Just a tad.

Jesus Just Left Chigaco and Killing Floor sounds great. :)

My P/flats in a blues setting:

3. thebrian

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the reply!! I could hear the bass pretty good in my headphones, but maybe that's only because I know what I was playing, lol. In all the songs, I recorded direct and everyone had the bass just in their headphones (no amp).

I'm pretty sure I had both pups up all the way and the tone rolled back to about 30 or 40%. I believe the engineer ran me through a Sansamp plug-in IIRC. I seem to hear the bass in the end of Bright Lights a little better than in the beginning, I'll see if I can get a new mix with the bass turned up more. Thanks for the feedback, I listened to your recordings and I'm going over to your thread now to comment.. sounds good!

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

I see what the problem is. I once had a jazz bass too, and this is the best thing I learned about them.

Two PU's togheter mixed 100% create a sort of midscoop. You'll lose definition and a load of engineers have no idea how to handle it. When playing with a rythm guitar that's playing the lower strings, you kina get buried. I think that that's what happened in those two songs.

The solution is simple: When you're not slapping or playing by yourself, always roll one of the PU's slightly off in volume so you'll get your mids back while retaining the two-PU vibe: roll bridge PU off for low-mids, neck for high-mids. In the case of a blues band I'd go for rolling off the bridge PU.

Of course, it's your tone and your band. But these are just my two cents and experiences with jazz basses in heavy blues and (hard)rock mixes. Do with this advice what you want, as long as you are happy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

7. thebrian

Disclosures:
    I agree, in fact that's exactly what I do most of the time when we play shows - I roll the bridge pup back about 10%, neck pup on full, and the tone about 30% up. I remember the engineer messing with my knobs and I just let him set it how he wanted since he was the one who had to mix it (both pups 100%, tone 30%). I'll see about maybe EQing it differently, maybe he can get some low-mids back. Thanks for the great feedback, I really appreciate it!

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

No problem, mate. Happy to help you out. Didn't know you'd got it all figured out yourself, though. ;)

9. thebrian

Disclosures:
    Lol, no I don't know if I have it all figured out. I just happen to sort of naturally do what you recommended most of the time (backing off one of the pickups) to get a better tone and cut thru the rest of the band. I never really thought about the whole "mid-scoop" thing, but it makes sense. I've always noticed that the pups have a tendency to cancel eachother out when they're both up 100%, just never gave much thought to it beyond "Ooh, that sounds nice!" or "No, that's not the sound I'm going for".

:bassist:

10. Salamenster

Salamenster

Well, yeah. But basically we've come to the same conclusion, albeit me trough theory, you trough pragmatism.

Either way, added you to my 'buddy-list', would love to hear more from your band. :)

11. thebrian

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Hopefully we'll get some more recordings up soon!