1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What does a Ground / Lift switch do?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nortonrider, Sep 6, 2009.

1. nortonrider

nortonrider

2. Beej

Beej

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

In an XLR cable you have three conductors for Left,Right and Ground. Sometimes you get noise on the ground, which is in the signal path, and using the ground lift disconnects the ground wire. I think this is called a "ground loop." The Board still gets signal from the L & R, and just uses a "reference ground" to get the voltage it needs to process the signal. Anything more specific than this, I cannot answer. Hope this is enough.

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Sorry, but as a sound engineer, I've got to call you up on that.

XLR stands for Ground (X), Live(L), and Return(R).

When cutting open an XLR you will find lots of copper strands twisted around the inner two cores. this picks up misc signal, ie phone interference etc. it then takes it to the end of the cable, in which it will meet a piece of equipment which is grounded. it then discharges it's signal there, rather than adding it to the music.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Originally known as the Cannon X series, subsequent versions added a latch and then a rubber compound surrounding the contacts, which led to the abbreviation XLR. Often used as a stereo interconnect, the conductors came to be referred to as X (ground), left and right. In balanced connections the signal is carried on the 2 and 3 pins, with the ground serving as a shield only. Ground loops can occur if the shield and AC lines both contact the grounds of connected devices, the ground lift removes the second ground path, as explained at:
    http://www.rane.com/note110.html

7. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Thanks for correcting me Visual. I was misinformed. :)