What does and Aguilar Tone Hammer DI do

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alienstarguest, Sep 2, 2013.

1. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

I am spread so very thin on pulling in information on things in my music realm balanced with the rest of life. So I don't have a great understanding of what this box actually is or what makes it special. If I have a Bass or three and I have an amp or two, what is the Aguilar Tone Hammer for. The application of it and where it might fit into a player's arsenal ? I think I see an EQ box, but maybe that is not even correct. If you are hip to these, shed a little info. Thanks.
  2. Down_Low

Down_Low

Try posting in the effects forum? It's not a bass so you might not get much here.
  3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

The Aguilar Tone Hammer is a direct box. It also includes 3 bands of EQ and some overdrive, if you want it. I use my Tone Hammer in place of my amp when we use our Bose L1M2 system.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

It's a preamp/DI.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crater

Crater

It's main use is to replace the bass amp/speaker cabinet/microphone signal chain for playing live on stage or when recording. It's output is meant to be fed to PA mixer or recording mixer. The circuitry inside includes the tone-shaping preamp and tone controls, and also includes circuitry to simulate the speaker cabinet, mostly by rolling off the extreme (subsonic) lows and sizzly high treble that a bass cab can't reproduce anyway.

DI stands for "direct injection" - that means plugging a signal straight into a PA or recording console, NOT using a microphone. It simplifies things for the sound man and helps give a consistent, usable signal.
  7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Lots of uses. I mainly use it to go direct in the studio. It's a super clean DI plus it allows you to add EQ and drive to the signal you're sending to the recording console. I also use it as a preamp with my Peavey IPR1600 poweramp for a live stage rig. Some players use it to supply FOH or a feed for in-ear monitoring.

It has the great Aguilar AGS circuit which is also used in the Tonehammer heads. You can go from clean to a warm drive signal with some hair added. One of the cool features, IMO, for studio use is that you can send a dry signal by going pre-EQ on the XLR out, and simultaneously send an effected signal out the 1/4". That functionality allows you to get a separate wet/dry signal which you can then blend when you mixdown.

I think some players also use the pedal in front of an amp to add color to the signal.
    Worth checking out IMO.
  8. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

I use it at the end of my chain so that I can dial in my equipment to the room that I'm in and the equipment I'm playing through.

Too boomy? No problem. Need more boomy? No problem.

It's an excellent eq in a durable box and the AGS circuit allows for dynamic playing with overdrive. Play soft: sound is mild, Play with more attack: sound gets hairy (in a good way).