1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

What does changing an old compositor do?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 27, 2013.

  1. duderus


    Dec 5, 2012
    Please help.
    It's on a vintage traynor yba 2 amp tube head.

    Thank u
  2. Nighttrain1127

    Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

    Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

  4. A compositor looks like quite the contraption:

  5. Sid Fang

    Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

    Jun 12, 2008
    A compositor manipulates video. A capacitor, aka accumulator, is an electronic component. Tube amps tend to have big ones that will degrade and fail with time, particularly if they're left unused for long periods. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  6. B-string

    B-string Gold Supporting Member

    Capacitors are also used for tone shaping, blocking DC voltage, stabilization.....
  7. Mr. Foxen

    Mr. Foxen

    Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Changing the filter caps will do very little if they work, but if the ones in there don't work, which is common, then it will make the amp less noisy, and have more headroom.

    Changing ones in the tone path for ones of different values will shift all sorts of things about sound wise.

    But the main thing is, you really need to ask the right question, because as it is, bit unspecific.
  8. 1958Bassman


    Oct 20, 2007
    You mean, a condenser?

    Why have capacitors been known by names that are used in air conditioning (accumulator and condenser)? Hmmm
  9. two fingers

    two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

    Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Condensor I couldn't tell you. As for "accumulator" (I have never heard them called that) it is pretty easy to speculate as to the origin of the term. With a capacitor, electrons "accumulate" on one side of the dielectric (the space or insulator in the middle) and protons "accumulate" on the other side. (The simplest description that many use for what a capacitor does is "store a charge".) All kinds of tricks and magic can be done by using this characteristic by itself or in combination with resistors and/or inductors and bending it to the will of the human mind.

    Fair enough?

    As for the OP, we need to know WHICH cap it is, WHO told you it needed to be changed, and WHY they told you that. Clear all that up and answers will fly at you at such an alarming rate you will think they were waiting around the corner for you to ask.
  10. dincz


    Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Bigger filter capacitors will get you closer to Behringer's burst power ratings.

    My grandfather was a compositor but he refused to change.
  11. craig.p

    craig.p Supporting Member

    Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The really big ones are also used -- with wires bent down the sides of the can -- to charge to max voltage and roll under the new guy's tech bench so when he picks up what just tapped his foot you can watch his hair spring straight up and have a good laugh.

    (But that was back in the '70s, when you could get away with that sort of business.)
  12. two fingers

    two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

    Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Meh. We still toss 'em around the lab at school every now and then. You see something flying at your face, you will reach up and grab it. Good times had by all.
  13. B-string

    B-string Gold Supporting Member

    WAY back when in high school electronics we had some "computer" caps. 20,000 mfd low voltage we would charge up and toss to give someone a "charge" :D
  14. tom-g


    Oct 2, 2007
    Back in the day we called rechargeable batteries accumulators.
  15. 1958Bassman


    Oct 20, 2007
    No experience with a 'condenser'? Ever work on a car with ignition points? The metal part with one wire that has a metal mounting tab is the condenser and is used to suppress voltage spikes when the spark even occurs, AKA, a capacitor.

    I guess it's because the electrons flow in and can't flow out at the same rate, so they're 'condensed'.
  16. 1958Bassman


    Oct 20, 2007
    My friend's college roommate used to rummage through other peoples' stuff all the time and once my friend got tired enough of this, he charged a dual cap that was less capacitance than yours, but it was 400VDC. One day, Bob grabbed the newspaper that didn't belong to him and then he saw the cap. He picked it up, flipped it into the air a couple of times and the last time, it came down into the palm of his hand, legs first. He got the message.
  17. Mr. Foxen

    Mr. Foxen

    Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I take boxes of caps pulled from amps from my local tech, to stick on ebay (not sure why people buy duff old caps, but their money spends as well as any other, so on they go). I know one day he's going to be a funny guy and charge some of them up.
  18. two fingers

    two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

    Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Makes total sense. I had never heard either term used. But I can understand how they would come about.
  19. mystic38


    Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    well, condenser (capacitor) predates air conditioning by some serious decades, so your question should be reversed!..:D

  20. BAce


    Jul 31, 2012
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around "compositor" :)
  21. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    A compositor is simple: it makes compost.


Share This Page