1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What does the world need with another bass player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cire113, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cire113

cire113

What does the world need with another bass player?

I thought this was a really thought provoking question; thoughts?

Anyone know who says this? ;p
  2. Shild

Shild

Don't know who says it but the demand for Bass players is high so the world needs a lot with them....
  3. cire113

cire113

really the demand for bass players is high? everywhere ?
  4. bassburner

bassburner

Yes. For good ones at least.
  5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Yep. Good ones. Especially those who ALSO play Double Bass. You'll work constantly - and get paid.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I would say the demand for delicious tasty cheese puffs is higher but I agree with bassburner the demand for bass players is there it seems that everyone wants to be the showboat upfront with the mic in hand screaming songs but the bass player is the rock of the group the foundation the energy that excites the crowd those low frequencies just surge thru your body and make you feel good in the kingdom of tuba players the one eyed bass player is king :)
  7. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I will second that, the demand for good bass players exists.
  8. soulman969

soulman969

There's a lot fewer bassists than there are guitarists or guitarists who think they can play bass. I'm a bassist who can also do lead vocals and/or high harmony backup and I can double on guitar. I can play anything from blues/soul to rock and country or latin so I can always work if I want to.
  9. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

Nothing. The world doesn't "need" anything. If you want to be relevant, you have to contribute to something someone else is doing, which is why being a bass player isn't really that hard. Being a lead performer, you're contributing the most directly to the audience's entertainment. The audience contributes to the business of entertainment, and the entertainment business contributes to the more general business of distraction.

No one except other bass players really care how you play, as long as you play well. That's the closest thing to what anyone needs from the bass player. You can contribute to bands in other ways though, such as booking gigs, designing posters, etc. As far as how many strings your bass has, or how many fingers you can pluck with... honestly, no one cares. Can you blame them? I mean, do you really care what brand of tyres are on the bus when you ride it to work? No, you don't (unless you're also a bus/car mechanic, or an overzealous bus driver).
  10. Tupac

Tupac

Some outside of jazz with balls. There's not enough balls today! We need more balls!
  11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I hope there's a need for them because there's 47 Billion basses for sale just on FEEbay alone:scowl:
  12. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Not at all.
  13. backup

backup

victor wooten i think

well not much but then again what does the world need with another guitar player?
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes

Well, as the song Nashville Cats by the Lovin' Spoonful goes, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two guitar pickers in Nashville. Probably close to as many bass players. But there is always a need for good bass players.

In concert band in school, there were dozens of trumpets. I switched to tuba and sat first chair.

In garage and gigging bands, I started playing bass in 1976 and I've never been without a gig (at least for very long) when I wanted one, and actually got one lucky break with a national TV gig. My electric basses, double bass, and tuba, in turn, get to leave the house on a regular basis. By contrast, most of my guitars stay at home on a permanent basis.

So to answer the question: like everything else, there are too many bass players, but not enough good bass players. I agree with the above post about the function of bass players in most bands. If at the end of the gig, someone comes up and says something to the effect that, "The band sounded great," then the bass player did his/her job. But if the bass only gets complimented, and it's for some reason other than a piece that specifically has a featured bass solo (heaven forbid!) or another bass player, then something didn't set right in the groove or the mix.
  15. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

There may be a need, but there isn't always a gig. Here in L.A., I know several good players that haven't been able to find a gig in a months... even years.

I know lots of musicians say, "People are always looking for good bassists", but the reality is quite different.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

"Everywhere" is a broad statement. However, MOST places are short of bass players.

Many bass players pigeon hole themselves into a very narrow genre, so that cuts down on the number of bassists available for other genres. For example, in my area there are a TON of bass players who will only play metal (or something that ends with "core"). So, even thought there are warm bodies with pulses that make notes on a bass, that doesn't mean our market is saturated with bass players. That being said, in my mostly rural area, I get more work than I want and my phone rings off the hook. Why? Because I will play the heck out of whatever is on THEIR set list (be it disco, hard rock, soul, country, whatever), show up on time, have great gear, and have a positive attitude. I would love to have a few phone numbers of bass players in my area who will play something other than their favorite songs and act in a professional manner.

Short version: "everywhere" might be stretching it a bit. There are plenty of "bass players" everywhere, but that doesn't mean there are enough to fill the slots in bands or enough non-knucklehead players.
  17. wideload

wideload

The next bass player may be THE bass player. Plenty of guys around before Jaco, Victor, Stanley and Duck, but the world is sweeter from what they offered. It could be you! (I'm fairly certain its not me.) Just in case, keep your day job.
  18. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    The world does not need another bass player. Anybody can be a bass player. On the other hand, there is plenty of room, need, and want for a good bassist or as Anthony Wellington decribes it a Bassologist. That is a guy or girl who doesn't mind perfecting the craft of playing bass. That is you are a musician first and bass happens to be your musical voice. You are activley studying, networking, learning and growing, and sharing about everything bass.
  19. JoZac21

JoZac21

There are millions of books that have been written... why should anyone become an author?

There are over 7 billion people on the planet... why have kids?

Hell... why do anything? Statistically speaking, most likely a whole bunch of people are already doing it.

I don't want to sound like an ass, although I'm sure I already do here... but in 2012, nihilism is no longer "really thought provoking".

I play bass because I love playing bass. I don't care how many other people are doing the same. Fin.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hey! I just looked up nihilism and learned something! Really though. I'm not sure what "ism" this falls under, but if you aren't interested in the topic click another link and keep moving.