1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What drives your obsession with football?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

I am not a watcher of sports. Most I find rather boring, so, being a free person I choose to spend my time doing things other than watching them. I don't hate sports or have any other negative feelings about them, but my attempts at becoming a spectator have proven that it's not for me.

But several experiences in my life have shown that this disinterest is not typical. Today I was sitting in a place with a public TV. I don't watch TV, so I was not really watching what was on. A man walked in and asked "who won the game?" It hadn't been on, so I replied, "I don't know." His eyes became wide, his mouth gaped a little, and he seemed truly surprised, and he said "you didn't watch the game?"

Earlier, a man had walked in, gestured to the TV and asked "is this the game?" It wasn't, so my reply was "no." He immediately seemed agitated, and asked "this is what you're watching?" I wasn't watching it, and also had no control of the TV, so I just shrugged. The man angrily turned to leave, loudly muttering something including expletives I can't repeat here, but his sentiment seemed to be I can't believe you're watching stupid cartoons.

As someone who's attention has never been captivated by football, these emotional responses to its lack of exhibition seem disproportionate to me. But, because of what happened today, I am now curious: Are these responses normal or reasonable? How do you feel when you can't watch football?:confused:
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I sometimes enjoy watching sports, but it's not something I absolutely must do. Personally, I've always been of the mindset that it's more enjoyable to actually play said sports than it is to watch them.
  3. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I love football because it is "the beautiful game". As the all time great Ferenc Puskas of Hungary put it, "I will write my life as a footballer as if it were a love story, for who shall say it is not? It began with my great love of football and it will end the same way."
  4. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

I've always enjoyed playing them more than watching them as well. Football is one of the ones I've enjoyed playing the most, but it's also one of the ones I like watching the least.

Edit: second quote redacted. The question still applies.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll watch football if I have to. I won't watch baseball. If someone offers me free tickets to either, I say, "Give them to someone who'll go." I like sports like gymnastics, in which individuals demonstrate their personal virtuosity. That, and monster truck racing.
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Not sure where the OP is from, but something tells me that he and bassybill are talking two different footballs!

I'll talk NFL/CFL for a minute: In my case, I've always loved watching. When my father would pick me up for his every-other-weekends (seldom), he'd often sit me in front of his old b&w TV with the rabbit ears and tell me to watch while he did something else. The only thing ever on, seemingly, was CFL... and that was just fine. I watched lots of Warren Moon playing in Edmonton in sideways snow. Or at least it always seemed like it was Warren Moon, and I'm sure it was always sideways snow. ;)

As a youngster I had a zillion football cards. I would sort them all day.

I was 13 before we had a TV at home, and although I watched a lot of baseball in those days, football was the preference. I could tell you anything about the Steelers back then, and earlier. Now I can't even spell the QB's name.

So part of the fascination is historical. Maybe the rest of it, started way back then, was that it was clearly off-limits: girls don't get to play tackle football. Yes, I played "the beautiful game," but certainly not beautifully!

This season, I don't have cable TV. My Seahawks are doing well, and I haven't seen a single game. I do listen on the radio, where Warren Moon is a commentator. Sometimes, things come full circle.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I am over football.
    Now hockey…Go Wild!
  8. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

I can sympathize with the OP. I really don't know why but I have no interest at all in football or other sports. I've also been berated once or twice for not knowing or caring who won a particular game... sheesh.
    That said, once in a while I'll watch a game if it's something like the superbowl etc. Or Olympics, I'll watch the Olympics because it's "out of the ordinary" to me. But other than that, I'd rather watch South Park for 2/3 hours than a football game. :)
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

That's partially why I prefer watching soccer or hockey if I am going to watch anything. There are just way too many commercial breaks during football games.
  10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I agree. A hockey game is generally about 2 1/2 hours at most. It seems to go very quickly. Unlike a 3 hour football game. Seems like it's forever.
  11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Kinda depends on how many fights and how long they go, I would guess.;)

I've been to a couple NHL games over the years, but I will never watch it on TV or become a fan until they clamp down hard on the goons and the commissioner gives the refs real authority. I much prefer college hockey, but that's not on much.
  12. JimK

JimK

Years ago (actually it was during the 1st Gulf War), USA Today ran the typical editorial: "Hockey is too violent for the networks"...this was pre-Internet so I hadda write a letter, stamp it, & then drive to the Post Office to send it.
    "Too violent" for the Networks?!?! Please.
    Unlike Football (American), Baseball...hockey does not have enough "breaks" (natural or otherwise) for the commercial fodder that really, IMO, disrupts the natural flow of the NFL.
    So, I ask...why is there a TV Timeout after each kickoff? The Offence & the Defence know it's 1st & 10...run the damn play!

I have been to a couple of games with a 7:30 start...& around 9:15 the 1st Period just ended. Great times!

IMO, they have...and there have been some (hockey) refs who think/though they were "the show".

Also, hockey is 100x better live than TV...NFL? Better on TV vs. Live, FME.
  13. JimK

JimK

To answer the OP's question-
    Football (American) is about taking their real estate by imposing your will against theirs.
    You want it...they know you want it...you know they know you want it, etc.

If the NFL proceeds on its current path...it could become akin to pro wrasslin'.
    Want to eliminate head shots? Remove the heavy birdcages...put ALL in a single-bar/punter style of facemask. Just one man's opinion.
    ;)

(IIRC, Hockey head injuries went up when ALL were required to wear helmets)
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

As a former USA football junkie, I can tell you what drove my obsession to travel all over the USA watching "my" team and spending countless dollars on memorabilia. I felt a strong attachment to the team, like I was part of it. I didn't play, I wasn't on the payroll, but these were "my" guys playing and I had to make sure everyone knew how awesome they are.

-Mike
  15. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I actually watch very few games these days, but I am a football fan. For me I like to see the different types of people with different skill sets working together toward a common goal of domination of the other team. And the pretty colors :D

I used to feel a sort of camaraderie with fellow fans of my team, but not so much anymore. At this point it's just picking someone to root for.

I don't personally know anyone who would freak out at missing a game (actually...I do know one guy like that). There are fanatics like that, but they are not the norm.

I have to say, the violence in the sport is starting to get to me. I may have to switch to "futbol," where people only pretend to get hurt ;)
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

It is and always will be my sport of choice. I played it and it was the only sport I was really good at.

As a Fan I never had the football "meathead " outlook. The type that live, breath football who assault opposing teams fans, scream, cuss and shout.

Thru the years I always known it's just a game.
  17. eb3mike

eb3mike

I played both football and baseball in high school and played sandlot for another 10 years after that. I understand the games and appreciate them at the highest level, but I'm just not interested in sitting and watching either. The same with music. I can think of three concerts I've been to in the last 45 years. I'd much rather participate than watch. I'm just not much of a spectator.
  18. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

I can appreciate athleticism, but I'm not into sports culture. It's the same as popular music, fashion, church, or whatever else: it's a pre-packaged culture complete with rules, interesting personae, ritualized events, and a ton of data to sort through which people can use to conveniently identify themselves: "I'm a ----- fan!" and connect with others.

It's convenient: if two strangers at a bar didn't have a game and season to discuss, they'd have to come up with their own conversation topic which might be pretty hard if they lead average, boring, typical passive spectator lives.
  19. basspipe

basspipe Supporting Member

Gopherbassist, I'm with ya. I just don't get the obsession with any team or any sport and often get similar responses to those that you described. Parties and other social functions where all the men are gathered around the tv or trying to find a tv or whatever while they discuss in detail how they might do it if they were the coach or player or whomever, I'm always the oddball who couldn't tell who's what or where and get responses like I'm from a different planet. For me it's just a waist of time and energy for something that has no real impact on anything in life. Well, with exception to the economy, but that's a whole other problem.

I think it must be related to latent tribal yearnings from our evolutionary past. Some sort of evolutionary by-product that has no real function in the post-modern world where excessive testosterone that would have been utilized throughout the day in a normal pre-historic man's life, now just goes unused and needs an outlet of sorts. The feeling of belonging to something greater than the self, who knows? I'm sure there's a study somewhere and a social scientist philosophizing over the conclusion that could gives us some grist for this mill.
  20. spade2you

spade2you

After I started competitive cycling, I simply couldn't watch the sports I never did. Sure, most people would tell me that watching cycling is boring and I'd agree that it wouldn't be fun to watch if I didn't race. I will literally lick my lips if I see a time trial bike or a nice long climb or if I think of either of those.

Football does nothing for me. I especially get annoyed with the guys who treat football like a battle of good vs. evil.